I don't like going to group...

Totally feel your pain, my group's Image T is cr@p as well, and it takes HOURS to get round everybody, I very rarely stay for class, even though I really like my C I just don't have the patience to sit through everyone's stories, and to be fair I'm usually STARVING as well as I don't eat before WI...

The rare occasions I do stay I enjoy the Lifers' tales of woe... "I was doing so well the first day, but the second day I slipped, fell and landed face first into a cake... and a chinese"...!

So why do I continue to pay to get weighed? THE FEAR of the scales!!! I am someone who needs the pressure of spending £5 a week to get on the official scales... I have tried to go it alone many times over the years, sometimes just going to group to get the books and once online, but the lack of pressure to go and get weighed once a week meant I often fell off plan, and couldn't get going again.. I guess I'm just not motivated enough to do it myself...!! Maybe that will change over time, as I get more confident in my ability to do this!!

All credit to those of you who do go it alone though, I guess its all down to personal preference!

Good luck xxxxxxxxxxx

Do they have to do IT in the same formatted way. I wonder whether it would be ok for a Consultant to break out of that mould.

I think if I was a consultant I would try and offer up something different from what it is at present.

I do, however, enjoy going to group and get a lot out of it, although I do find it can get a little repetitive and feel some new ideas would freshen it up a bit.

I'd probably benifit from the 'fear of the scales' thing, but get much more help (well - more directed help, because it's exactly when I want it and there's not as much embarrassment about asking questions) on here. I think if I'm going anywhere that takes a couple of hours out of my evening I'd prefer to do an exercise class or go to the gym.

I was thinking about suggesting a weekly weigh in group at my (members only) gym. They have lots of space available, and it'd be good to get to know some of the other people there for the same reason as me. (We all tend to keep our eyes down at the moment).

I have never been to a SW class as I got the information online. But I went to a WW class in the past and it put me off going to slimming groups.
When I went to the WW it went like this
Consultant: What weight would you like to get down to.
Me: 9 stone
Consultant: Well is that a realistic weight to aim for?
Me: Yes I was 9 stone until about a year ago but have gained the weight from overeating in the last 12 months.
Consultant: Well I don't think that's realistic so I'll put your target down as 10 stone.

That obviously frustrated me as I knew 9 stone was healthy for my height and just wanted to lose the 2 stone I'd piled on in a year through my own eating habits.
Then the rest of the lesson was her talking to us but I felt like it was just a mission to sell different WW products. For example showing us different WW recipe books we could buy, a stepometer or whatever they're called to see how many steps I can do in a day etc.

My mum and sister both go to sw and ww groups respectively, they love their groups. So I definitely think it depends on how your local group is run, how helpful the consultant is etc.

Totally feel your pain, my group's Image T is cr@p as well, and it takes HOURS to get round everybody, I very rarely stay for class, even though I really like my C I just don't have the patience to sit through everyone's stories, and to be fair I'm usually STARVING as well as I don't eat before WI...

The rare occasions I do stay I enjoy the Lifers' tales of woe... "I was doing so well the first day, but the second day I slipped, fell and landed face first into a cake... and a chinese"...!

So why do I continue to pay to get weighed? THE FEAR of the scales!!! I am someone who needs the pressure of spending £5 a week to get on the official scales... I have tried to go it alone many times over the years, sometimes just going to group to get the books and once online, but the lack of pressure to go and get weighed once a week meant I often fell off plan, and couldn't get going again.. I guess I'm just not motivated enough to do it myself...!! Maybe that will change over time, as I get more confident in my ability to do this!!

All credit to those of you who do go it alone though, I guess its all down to personal preference!

Good luck xxxxxxxxxxx

^ This for me to. Sometimes I really dont want to stay for class as it can take ages getting around everyone. I do enjoy going to group because Im competitive and it motivates me to do better, and without the weekly weigh in looming over me I would never stick to plan. Ive tried it alone before and it never works, I need the public weigh in to keep me going.

I've been to many groups with moving and things. I had one consultant that said my weight out loud in group, another who I couldn't hear. The second group didn't do me any good at all. How could I feel motivated if I couldn't hear her? There is one that stands out with whom I lost the most weight and she was an angel, when i was wrongfully arrested for something I didn't do she even offered to be a character reference and was more like a friend then a consultant. I miss her but I had to move. Then the other week we had a stand in consultant, the scales weren't working and it took an extra 45 min to get weighed and then she decided to still go around the whole room to ask each person how they had done. By the end of the night everyone was yawning or talking between themselves and praying for her to finish!

The classes suit some but not others. I do SW from home and it's totally do-able as long as you have the willpower to do it alone, but you still have some form of support - my OH has always been very supportive of my weight loss and I fid coming on this forum really really help as well.

You need to do what's right for you hun. I don't go to group and am fine with that because I didn't find my consultant all that great and the closest one to me after that isn't my idea of walking distance. I just use the ladies and gents here for my thinspiration :)

Good luck going alone :) xx

Do they have to do IT in the same formatted way.
I have been to many different groups in my time and yes they all do it to the same format, even to the way the room is organised. One of the long standing consultants left (?) because she couldn't do it as she liked and then set up her own group changing syns to 300 calories a day extra and a few little tweeks.

Can anybody tell me what IT actually is? What's the benefit supposed to be?

I need to get back on track and considered maybe going to find a group somewhere now I am driving again but I don't fancy it tbh.

Also, those of you doing it from home- how worth it is online membership?

thats great if you know you can do it at home i would not be able to trust myself to stick to it if i was not going to be weighed at group, good luck i do hope you stick to it :0)

Back