I don't think SW is working :( So upset.

flossyxo

Hi everyone.

I have lost around 7-8 stones since Feb 2013 through my own doing of healthy eating. I now weigh 9st7lb with my target set as 8st10lb (I'm 5ft 4).

I joined Slimming World on the 5th January in the hope of shifting the last few lb and have stuck to it religiously. My first weigh in this week saw me lose only 1.5lb whereas everybody else was losing around 3-5lb, some even lost 6 or 7! I don't use my syns every day, simply just because I haven't needed to! I eat plenty of fruit and veg. The syns I did use were often on light mayo/ketchup and I had a 5 syn fudge at the weekend - nothing too extreme.

My consultant texted me the day after WI to say that my food diary was excellent and that the scales didn't reflect this enough but to keep at it.

This week, monday to wednesday, i tried the SP plan where I ate no carbs. I had a normal EE day yesterday. I stepped on the scales this morning (I know everyone says this is the worst thing to do :() and it says I have GAINED 1lb since Monday! I felt like crying.

All the meals I cook are SW recipes. I weigh my pasta and rice out, along with my healthy extras. I really don't know what else I can do but I'm worried that the scales will not be friendly to me on Monday and I genuinely do not know why.

:sigh:

Ah I can hear how upset you are in your post. I would say three things you have obviously done really well on changing your eating habits to lose so much weight in total well done

. 1) You have to remember that you have been eating healthily so slimming world is not a complete shock to your system so you are not going to get a massive loss as your body has already lost the water that you lose at the beginning of a diet

2) you are very close to target so again you aren't going to get 6-7 pounds in a week you need to think in terms of percentage loss. Someone with a bigger start weight would lose 1% of their starting weight and that would be more in pounds then one percent of your weight.

3) don't weigh yourself your weight fluctuates daily and weighing yourself just messes with your head.

Well done on 1.5 lbs that is great when you think how little you have to go

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Fully agree with the comments above - please don't beat yourself up over this; you have achieved so much already and are very, very close to your goal. Of course there will be people losing enormous amounts of weight at their first few weigh ins; they probably haven't eaten healthily for such a long time....you have! It is very hard to lose weight when you don't have a great deal to lose, and eat healthily anyway.

Throw away your scales at home and lean on your leader - presumably he/she is at target, and so will have experienced what you are going through, as will the target members of your group. You must be a very focused and determined person, to have achieved what you have achieved, so don't give up now!

I totally agree with the above comments too. The fact that you got a loss shows that it is working; I'm not a 'big loss' kind of girl either, and have felt disheartened in the past with only small losses. But at the end of the day, a loss is still a loss, and it means that it's going in the right direction.
I too have been guilty of weighing myself at home, but really try not to, it's best to just stick to what the SW scales say. As has been said already, your weight will fluctuate every day, and weighing in between really does mess with your head!
I know it's hard and can be upsetting, but just think how much you have achieved so far already. You're doing great! Keep going and you'll get to target.
My best friend is green tea; that tends to get me better losses. Good luck and don't give up!

But it is working - you lost 1.5lb week one!

Another vote for herbal teas especially ones like peppermint and/or fennel, as they really help with digestion. Green tea helps you to lose weight by balancing out your sugar levels, so you won't have as much of that 'hungry slump' mid morning and mid afternoon. Well worth a try.

I completely agree with everything stated above. My only suggestion would be that as much as you don't feel the need to have your syns, try to use some of them. 9 times out of 10, people will avoid using them, but after a couple of weeks, nothing happens. You don't need to use the full 15 a day, but try to have between 5-10 maybe? Or treat yourself to a few drinks at the weekend?
You've had a massive start by doing it yourself for so long, so your body is used to the healthy eating. Dont worry about those people who lose 6 or 7lbs in their first week. Some of the time it can be because their diet before SW may not have been as 'healthy' as their SW week. Especially if they didn't eat as much fuit and veg.
Don't be disheartnened, I generally only have small losses and I know the feeling when it's dropping off everyone else, and not you. You will get there :)

And I think I need to invest in some green tea... everyone is saying the same things as PeacefulJo!

Absolutely agree with all the above comments! You were already eating healthily and are close to your target: it is very normal for your losses to be on the smaller side. 1.5 pounds is a good loss - if you continue like that you'll reach your goal in about 7 weeks!

Congratulations on your fabulous weight loss so far, keep going and you will be there before you know it!

Wow 9 stone weight loss u are a legend :)

I am only 2 weeks in and have lost 10.5lbs and have another 59.5lbs to go any advice in regard to losing your 9 stone very welcome.

1st week loss of 7lb I think was water based on volume if salad I was eating lol

best of luck in getting to your target weight

Cee Cee

you have done so well!

as CEE CEE said above, any tips??

xx

Just echoing everyone else really! I've weighed myself in the week even though I know I'm not supposed to, but that was during my early days and maybe after a massive blowout. It's just so much more rewarding when you see you've lost at the end of the week, especially when it's a nice surprise. And if it's a bad result on the scales, you can draw a line under it and look forward to another week. Weighing yourself regularly makes this difficult to do.

Good luck with the rest of your journey!

I agree with everyone else's comments.

1.5lbs is a good loss for anyone. It is recommended that healthy weight loss is anything up to 2lbs a week and not more! People have large losses in the first few weeks because they are losing water and glycogen stores - not just body fat.

Your scales at home might even over weigh compared to the ones at your group. To measure my weight loss I always weigh myself at the same time of day, under the same conditions and on the same scales - then even if they are out, they will measure the weight lost.

Please don't feel disheartened...you have done so, so well and are heading in the right direction, which is all that really matters. I'd set your goals a little lower, like 1lb a week, and see anything else as a bonus! That's what I'm doing as I only have about a stone to loose and I know it'll take time to come off.

If you think of it this way, when you reach target you are allowed to fluctuate + or - 3lb, so going up 1lb mid week isn't the end of the world. Keep up the hard work and you'll get there. And they do say the slower it comes off, the more likely it is to stay off too!

Lastly, I am also new to sw and I keep having guilty feelings about using my syns etc and the best piece of advice I keep hearing is 'trust in the plan'. Allow yourself 5-15 syns and make sure you eat your hex's. Give it 6 weeks and I'll bet you'll feel differently!

Wow, thank you all for the replies!

Again, I've been on plan 100% all week. It's my WI tomorrow at group so I will report back with how things go.

I will definetly take everybody's advice on board :) I've just had a cup of green tea too!

Wow, thank you all for the replies!

Again, I've been on plan 100% all week. It's my WI tomorrow at group so I will report back with how things go.

I will definetly take everybody's advice on board :) I've just had a cup of green tea too!

Hey! Welcome and a huge well done on your weight loss so far!
I only have a few pounds to lose too and I lost 1.5 this week too and was well happy with that!
As for the green teas - have you tried the salted caramel? It is lush especially when you fancy something slightly sweet. My daughter puts a couple of drops of caramel flavouring in hers (free) to make it reallly sweet! Yum!
Good luck for tommorow x

Hey! Welcome and a huge well done on your weight loss so far!
I only have a few pounds to lose too and I lost 1.5 this week too and was well happy with that!
As for the green teas - have you tried the salted caramel? It is lush especially when you fancy something slightly sweet. My daughter puts a couple of drops of caramel flavouring in hers (free) to make it reallly sweet! Yum!
Good luck for tommorow x

Thank you :) I LOVE salted caramel! It is my fave! The added flavouring sounds fab too - please could I ask which brand it is? Such a good idea!

Hiya, well done on your 1.5lbs loss! I can sense you're impatient to get to goal but weight loss often slows down the closer you get, and you have done so amazingly well so far on your weight loss journey! Don't be disheartened, 1-2lbs weight loss a week is supposed to be the healthiest level to lose at, and with only 11lbs left to get to your target, at 1.5lbs a week you'll be there in 8 weeks! Which seems like ages but is nothing in the context of a lifetime. Stick at it, you'll get there :)

Back