I feel so discriminated against!!

That was about beth dittos range btw!

But the companies aren't really responsible though are they? The average woman is a size 16 and that's what they go up to

Yeah but if 16 is the average size then there are of course people above and below that size. They cater for people below the average; they should do the same for people above it, and not set the average as a maximum...

I've seen a few pieces but I'm not sure a few funky tops and stuff make up for the lack of fashion out there for bigger women. I wish I could have made my own clothes, I'd have done a much better job of it than most shops!

Yeah but if 16 is the average size then there are of course people above and below that size. They cater for people below the average; they should do the same for people above it, and not set the average as a maximum...

I do see your point! If shops went to bigger sizes then they would be taking the cash hand over fist, so it benefits them too I guess.

I guess these shops are trying to project a certain image - therefore only go up to a certain size? :confused:

On the Beth Ditto range - in my opinion ,most of it is minging and totally overpriced

xx

I guess these shops are trying to project a certain image - therefore only go up to a certain size?

Hmm there is that. And I guess that some designs might not be suitable for larger sizes; not fitting properly etc. I know Mrs. L always complained about how clothes fit? I dunno what you women call it :D , like the cut of a suit not being right?

It feels like the 'big' stores like Evans capitalise on your lack of choice. They know they can charge high prices, because what are your options? and I agree, they don't always have fashionable ranges and a broad choice, and the assumption is that because you're shopping for bigger sizes you want a tent, not something tailored. Or pretty. Or funky.
If you do manage to find trousers in a bigger size in a 'normal' shop the leg lengths can be ridiculous. I have quite long legs so standard length jeans look like i'm preparing for the floods! I dont want the bottom of my jeans round my ankles! Not a good look! I agree they should cater for the above average and not take the average as the maximum size. And don't even get me started on the H&M sizings!

It feels like the 'big' stores like Evans capitalise on your lack of choice. They know they can charge high prices, because what are your options? and I agree, they don't always have fashionable ranges and a broad choice, and the assumption is that because you're shopping for bigger sizes you want a tent, not something tailored. Or pretty. Or funky.
If you do manage to find trousers in a bigger size in a 'normal' shop the leg lengths can be ridiculous. I have quite long legs so standard length jeans look like i'm preparing for the floods! I dont want the bottom of my jeans round my ankles! Not a good look! I agree they should cater for the above average and not take the average as the maximum size. And don't even get me started on the H&M sizings!

LOL! H&M sizes make NO sense whatsoever! x

Exactly. That was what I tried to say, but just didn't quite so clearly! If a 16 is average, why have it as XL and only stock up to it? They'll go so low below that, but not at all above it. If 16 is average, they go 6 sizes below that to a 4, but not at all over it. I bet there are a lot less size 4 girls out there than there are size 18 or 20.

I totally agree Caroline, but bad as it seems now, you should have tried being 'outsized' back in the 70's & 80's. If you think the choice is bad now..................:mad:.
Evans may be very frumpy today, but 20 years ago only grannies shopped there. Even my Mum refused to cross the threshold!
I used to live in Laura Ashley elasticated waist skirts ,mens jeans & mens t/shirts. Not exactly fashionable! And I was only a size 14/16!
I'm 46, and very rarely shop in Evans, I'm too young. If New Look don't have it I either do without, or resort to Ebay.
And I will shop in Top Shop once I shrink enough.;) I've spent too long in boring clothes, so if I end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb so what!:D

Hi Caroline,

Wanted to suggest something for you. You're doing Events Management and you were talking about the Cancer Research Ball on another thread. Seeing as you're so passionate about this topic (either stores having larger sizes or new stores having a fabulous selection, why don't you look at running some kind of event around this. I haven't thought it through but between your passion for this and your EM skills why not have a think about it? Things can only change by people making those changes.

I'm such a shopaholic again after 3 years and I must say I absolutly love being able to walk into places like TK Max and have they're stuff fit me. Even tho I'm a size 10 now on top...i'd still buy M-L t-shirts in there. I hated that nothing looked right on me in so many of the shops,....i did wonder who they were designing the clothes for and i felt very abnormal not being able to wear their styles. Pretty depressing and I was only a large size 14 (size 15 really:)) ....... so if it was hard for me It was be very hard for others over size 16.

Anyway, have a think xxx

I don't think it's a matter of saying "it's ok for you to be that big- we have clothes for you"- it's just the principle. We all know how stuck up and snobby the fashion world is about weight- esp overweight people. It's as if theyre saying(topshop ect) you are not good enough to be seen wearing our clothes..as if it's an embarrasement. Its the same as trying to get a job in a place like that.. they would choose the size 10 over size 18 girl any day of the week, even if she hd better credentials.

It annoys me so much. I hate how much flipin pressure there is on us to be the steriotype of a beautiful man or woman. Curves are bad. flat chests and collar bones is what we apparently should be aiming for.. crap to that!!

I'm not loosing weight to fit in, im loosing weight for me and my self worth!!

i could rant more, but i think caroline.. between us both we've said alot! haha :)xx

lots of good points raised here...!
Trouble is, i think its an argument that have been going on since time began....there will always be "fashion" shops that charge the earth for their clothes (even the high street brands) and cater mainly for the slim people of this nation, and then there are the "fat girl shops" that make money off making you look even worse than you did in joggers and frumpy t-shirts...
There are shops out there that try and bridge the gap....but with so many people to please, its an impossible task...
and to be honest, even when you can fit into a 10/12/14 clothes size, they all fit bloomin differently anyway so it kind of defeats the object!
The one thing i disagree with is that all the clothes in the shops should cater for all the sizes....i have had to accept, whether i like it or not and at size 12/14 that shorts that eat up my bum are never going to be something i will ever be able to get away with wearing....and i certainly wouldnt have wanted to be able to buy those in an 18/20...but these stores are all about profit and will never think about the bigger picture!
The fashion industry sucks, always has, always will....its a horrible reality of what us humans have turned into! :(
xx

Cant remember who said it, but i wanted to give you a jist of sizes

I teach people to drive and in the age bracket of 17-21 i can honestly say ive had about a handfull above 16 the rest are teeny tiny some as little as 2/4/6 the average a 10-12

The older women im teaching over 21yrs old , averaging on size 12-16

I still see no point in having huge selection of HUGE sizes in the shops when that isnt the majority.
:cool:

Last edited:
Hey Sunshine, it's something I have thought about before actually! See my post a couple of months ago... http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/90679-gok-wan.html I'd forgotten about it though, but maybe I should start thinking about it again!

I agree Lauren, for me the losing weight isn't actually about the clothes, it never came into my thinking. I'm doing it for me, for my health, my quality of life and because I want to be happy with myself, better clothes is just a benefit of that!

I wouldn't expect a shop like Topshop to have as many size 20s as they do 10s, at all. But I think there should be choice. I wasn't saying they should have a huge selection, but they have no selection! Why are those girls 2, 4 and 6? Because for the majority of girls that really isn't healthy, no more healthy than I was at size 24! But yet that's encouraged more than being even an 18 is. And I'm sorry but I just don't agree with that. Missessex I understand your point, but I don't actually agree, I think there are a lot of people my age while I was at school, college, uni and just people I know who were above a 16, not all were as big as a 24 mind. But to me it's just this whole message that says you're fat, you don't deserve to look good.

Magazines don't help. They reinforce the teeny body image. Some are better than others but when they say a size 14 is huge and bloated and an 8-10 is healthy it doesn't help the way I feel about myself. I showed My OH a pic of a 'healthy' size 8. He turned his nose up, said she looked skeletal and asked me why the hell I was reading that junk when neither of us agree with it! Which is nice, but I know I still need to lose to be healthy. M & S have recently bought out a bigger range which isn't too bad, and you can sometimes find stuff in Matalan. Again, not much choice. My wardrobe is full of shoes and handbags because when I go shopping with my tiny friends I dont like picking stuff out in my size. If I can find anything in my size!

Back