I got refused!

Don't give up you have done so well you deserve some help. How about one of those extreme makeover programmes could you try writing to them. You never know you could be lucky. Wishing you all the best.

Hah, I was toying with that idea! I've not really watched them, I just 'know of' them courtesy of Mrs L. Do they get many guys? Do many men apply? I think I'm asking, if a guy applied would they jump at the chance?

Then the other side is, could I do it all publicly???

Jim you should apply!

Lizz that sucks big time. I would definitely appeal. I know at my GP's he has a guy who lost 15 stone and has been granted a tummy tuck on the NHS as my doctor told me if I lose all the weight and have an excess skin problem he will fight for me to get the same. Much like fertility treatment (which is an issue close to my heart) it varies so much from pct to pct and gp to gp - there seem to be no set standards which is so frustrating.

So sorry Liz, that really sucks.

I just don't get it, the NHS are supposed to be all for prevention rather than cure (think: Fit for Life) yet, they aren't addressing the needs of those of us for whom this message has reached us too late. In your case, I would definitely reapproach your GP and maybe talk to your MP - explain that the scarring as a child has always had a negative affect on your body image and was a direct contributor to your weight gain in the first instance (even if this is bending the truth a little). Say that you've followed all medical guidance and have been under medical supervision throughout your weightloss journey. Explain that the weight of the excess skin to your stomach and breasts is making the scarring worse and causing you extreme discomfort in your day to day life and emphasise all mobility issues (e.g. when walking, lying down, etc.). Explain how this excess skin harbours your daily routine and prevents you from leading a normal life.
There has to be a way around this, I hope you find it soon. X

I would appeal it......give yourself a chance to gather your strength again and go back to discuss with your GP. I would emphasis the mental anguish aspect......the resulting depressions etc. I would keep knocking on the door, louder and louder. To say that people with scarring are not helped by plastic surgery seems utter bloody nonsense.......and am sure if you researched it you may be able to prove otherwise. It should not have to be that way but the realities and limitations of the NHS are a horriblw reality.

Can you appeal?
It's disgraceful that a genuine person like yourself who has fought an incredibly hard battle to get healthy and lose weight, can't even get some payback from the NHS!
The PCT are pathetic, who knows where there money goes, most probably to the fat cats who run it!
It makes me so angry when this happens, yet some area's will approve such treatment!
You have every right to feel the way you do, I would keep sending letters/emails write to the local press, do what you can to put the wind up them!
Big hugs too x

Lizz,
The most important thing is not to let their decision get you down. Stay strong and positive and keep at them until they come to the sensible decision and let you have the op!
hugs
Alex

first off *HUGS* and be proud of what you've done.... I know post code lottery isn't always fair (ivf post code lottery for a few of us sucks!). Don't know what to say but if you need to talk we are here x

Afterthought:
Have you looked at the NICE guidelines for this? If you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that the PCT is not acting in the best interest of the patient (i.e. You) then you will have a strong case for appeal. Good luck.

Back