Cruise PP I made icecream, I made icecream!!!!!!!!

So glad you like - I think you can safely leave out the cornflour as well - I've always used Greek plus NF (sometimes a sneaky muller) and never had a problem with texture.

Got my ice cream maker yesterday - obviously did something wrong as mine was very runny and now having frozen overnight is like a lump of pink ice (used rhubarb)! Will try another batch using bought yoghurt and see if it is better (used homemade yoghurt).

did you freeze the bowl for 24 hours first ?? i got mines on friday and made frozen yoghurt yesterday and it was lovely

I'm still perfecting my technique for storage. Right out of machine, it's perfect! The bowl should make no slushy sound before using. Freezing, next time putting in smaller containers. I had used only one large one and it was frozen solid. Left on the counter to thaw and forgot all about it.

Also going to try xanthan gum. It's noy Dukan approved. But it's numbers are lower carb than cornflour, no sugars, so it should be fine. Not sure it will hold crystals frozen, but works in puddings?

did you freeze the bowl for 24 hours first ?? i got mines on friday and made frozen yoghurt yesterday and it was lovely

Mine said to freeze bowl for 8 hrs (so I did) -the bowl was solid when I took it out - I still managed to eat my pink ice block (zapped it in the microwave for 30 sec then blended it with the hand blender) and it was very nice. Will have another go one night this week.

What flavour did you make?

toffee flavour was very nice

I've been inspired to find our ice cream maker. Somewhere in a cupboard. I am currently making yogurt and it would be lovely to think I could make ice cream too. I'm a bit unsure what I need to put in the bowl but will have a think about it tomorrow.

is there a big difference to making it in an ice-cream maker vs whipping up the ingredients and popping it in the freezer? just curious... i made my first batch of frozen yoghurt on saturday night and had one for dessert on sunday lunch. tasted amazing but wasn't quite frozen yet, so i wonder if i'm doing something wrong?

oh, well, will have to try another one today just to see if it's improved after 2 days :p

As far as I know D, every recipe I have ever seen that makes it without a Maker, Once its gone in the freezer, for the first few hours, you need to keep mixing/whipping it to get rid of ice crystals that form inside the mixture, do it every hour or so. I have never done it because of that faff, but I reckon you could get lovely icecream.

Every hour? Sheesh! I put them in small tubs and haven't stirred at all, so I will try one later and see how it turned out, ice crystals and all!

A few days back I came across a recipe for ice cream that sounded too preposterous to be real but I tried it anyway and lo and behold, ice cream (well, ice milk) in 7 minutes! Maybe you'll give it a go:

you'll need ice cubes, 6 tbsp coarse salt and 2 zipper bags, one small and one large (I know, it's already weird)

then mix up 125ml skimmed milk, vanilla essence to taste and sweetener to taste. Put the flavoured milk into the small zipper bag and seal. Fill the big zipper bag half way with ice cubes and add salt. Place small bag inside large bag and zip up large bag. Then shake like the dickens for 6-10 minutes and presto, you've got ice milk! You can't imagine my surprise when I stopped shaking and found a solid ball had formed inside the small bag!

It's a bit grainy though, I read somewhere that a pinch of xanthan gum will make it smoother. Also, I put the whole shebang into a large tupperware-ish bowl for the shaking bit, it was too hard with just the bags. I also found that I could have added a whole tsp of vanilla.

AND, you've burned off the calories you consume in the ice milk just by making it :)

Well as I'm typing this I get the feeling I've already posted this, so if I did - sorry for the rerun!

I found this one this morning:

Homemade Sugar-Free Fat-Free Frozen Yoghurt

Cooking time: at least 4
hours without ice cream maker, less than an hour with ice cream maker

Ingredients

1 large tub of fat-free natural yoghurt
(500g)

3 teaspoons of sugar-free jelly (I used Hartley’s strawberry flavoured)

3 tablespoons of boiling water

Let’s get cooking

First of all, place the boiling water
and the sugar-free jelly powder in a small bowl and mix well until the jelly
has completely dissolved and there are no lumps stuck to the bottom of the
bowl. Let the mixture cool down for two minutes

2. Place the yoghurt and the jelly syrup in a food processor and combine
together. If you haven’t got a food processor, you can also do this using a
spoon but be careful to mix the two very well together otherwise you will end
up with big lumps of solid jelly in your frozen yoghurt. This is the basic
recipe for your frozen yoghurt.

If you have an ice cream machine

Pour the yoghurt and jelly mixture into your ice cream machine and follow the
manufacturer’s instructions. It shouldn’t take more than an hour to obtain
smooth and guilt-free frozen yoghurt

Without an ice cream machine

Transfer the mixture into a freezer safe container, pop the lid on and let is
set for 30 minutes

After 30 minutes, take the container out of the freezer and give it a good
stir, ensuring that you break up all the ice crystals and the yoghurt is smooth
before you put it back in the freezer

Repeat this process every 30 minutes until your Dukan frozen yoghurt has
reached your desired consistency and serve immediately. When I tried this
recipe without the ice cream machine, it took approximately 4 hours for the
yoghurt to set and thicken

Nuo ice cream maker

It took 15 minutes and I am eating it RIGHT now.

Robert Dyas has a sale on "nuo" kirchen gadgets, and the icecream maker was only £14.99

So when I got home today I got the bowl out, started it up and tipped in about half a pot of zero-greek yogurt, and a pot of mullerlight toffee.

15 minutes later - a bowl full of tangy, creamy, cold, fluffy ice-cream!

Hi Atropos

I hope you are still active on this website.

I bought the same ice cream maker several years ago and have not used it at all until now. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the instruction manual so don't know how to use it. Do you still have a copy of yours?

thanks

redkeels

Back