I no longer have a fruit-bowl!

WHAT WILL WE DOOOOOOOO over winter??? I cant remember what fruit we can even HAVE in winter, aaaggGGGHHHHHHHH!!! :eek:

At the moment my supermarket has a special offer on Jazz apples, which I really like. The best fruit for me, in winter, are the big navel oranges. And clementines, of course.

Right, that's it, I decided to do my shop for the rest of this week, the weekend AND next week all in one go this lunchtime. Even though I'm broke, decided it would probably work out cheaper in the long run to do it in one go and decided I needed to get some fruit in and get eating it a bit more again!

So, I have a punnet of plums and a mango already in the fridge (hoping they're still alright) so have added a bag of cheap pears (not my fave ones but money has to come into consideration these days), a couple of bananas and 2 melons! That should keep me going for a few days at least. Then when I get paid on Monday I can top the fruit supply up again with some other nice bits like nectarines (couldn't believe how blooming expensive they were today!).

Right, that's it, I decided to do my shop for the rest of this week, the weekend AND next week all in one go this lunchtime. Even though I'm broke, decided it would probably work out cheaper in the long run to do it in one go and decided I needed to get some fruit in and get eating it a bit more again!

So, I have a punnet of plums and a mango already in the fridge (hoping they're still alright) so have added a bag of cheap pears (not my fave ones but money has to come into consideration these days), a couple of bananas and 2 melons! That should keep me going for a few days at least. Then when I get paid on Monday I can top the fruit supply up again with some other nice bits like nectarines (couldn't believe how blooming expensive they were today!).

You keep plums & mangos in the FRIDGE? Yowza! :eek: They'd never fit in mine, not a prairie! :D They last a week or so on my table, even the cheapo ones. The only stuff allowed in the fridge is berries, which is why I have to scoff them within 48h, to make spaaaaace :(

I just scroll through the prices online and pick whatever is cheapest. (Its not always the market value wotsits though, as you only get about 4 in a bag) They cheat by doing a "per item" when the item is a bag that you dont know how many is in :( The veggies are also usually cheaper loose than the "Value" packs. Except carrots. And I get through a LOT of those! :p

Also lots of em are cheaper in the corner shop! Pomegranates only 70p at the end of the road, 1.50 at Tesco! Even on offer (2 for £2) the corner shop's still cheaper :)

Anyway, now I sound like Im on Bargain Hunt so off I scootle :D

You keep plums & mangos in the FRIDGE? Yowza! :eek: They'd never fit in mine, not a prairie! :D They last a week or so on my table, even the cheapo ones. The only stuff allowed in the fridge is berries, which is why I have to scoff them within 48h, to make spaaaaace :(

They were only in the fridge because I wasn't sure how quickly I'd get round to eating them!:)

My fridge isn't overly full as am trying to survive on mega low budget at the moment but have got tons of stuff in the freezer to use up and a veggie drawer full of bits and pieces!

I can't get enough fruit! Unfortunately neither can my 2yr old...sometimes I hide in the kitchen with a handful of grapes just so I can have them to myself!...aren't I cruel!! X

I've never eaten fresh figs!

First - forget any comparison with the block of dried figs that your mum used to get in specially for Christmas! They are totally different. I think Honeyoc has a recipe on here somewhere for her Fig and Prosciutto salad. They go well with salty cheeses like goats cheese and feta, and/or with honey. It's difficult to describe a taste. If I had to come up with a description I suppose I'd say they are a bit like peach/strawberry/raspberry flavours combined. Someone else would probably describe them completely differently though!

The BBC Good Food site has a good section on things to do with figs - cooked and raw. I haven't posted the link because I still have to get to grips with the hidden link thing I have seen on here, (!) but a quick search will find it.

Back