I really want to try Quorn

Thank you all for the recommendations. I think I'll start with the southern fried chicken burgers and go from there. I'm sure once I've had a taste and got over the TVP fear there will be no stopping me, after all I've managed to get over my fish phobia of 30 years.

The chicken dippers are lovely too. I used to give them to my Rainbows and they never knew the difference between those and real chicken nuggets.

The thing with quorn is not to over cook it. You can actually eat it raw (I do with the chicken pieces, defrosted obviously) so you're not actually "cooking" it but reheating it. If you over cook it then it goes very dry (like my sausages for dinner last night) and then isn't very nice at all!

My fave's are the mince (gorgeous in a stew with potatoes, carrots, onions, veg oxos and marmite), pieces in a curry or fajita, the brown quorn burgers are fab on a wholemeal bap with cheese slice and a dollop of relish, sausages are great in a casserole/hotpot. The fillets in batter are reeeeeally nice with new potatoes and veg. The chicken and ham style slices are great for salads and sandwiches and the peppered grillsteaks are lovely with SW chips.

Mmm that sounds nice SS, you got a recipe?

As I am a vegetarian and doing Green days only I live on Quorn! I agree the southern style chicken burgers are delicious, especially in pitta with lots of salad. I also cook quorn pieces in curries and make a 'chicken' tikka or jalfrezi style curry using chopped tomatoes. Delicious with rice! I think it's so versatile you can add it to anything, or if you're feeling creative you can invent new recipes.

The best way to avoid cooking dryness with Quorn is to tip some passata or another sauce over it, I find. I do that with both the fillets (not the battered kind, the normal ones) and the pieces and bake them in the oven, they come out really succulent.

I have just bought some burgers with red onion and the cumberland sausages (£1 a pack in Asda), can't wait to try them.

Asda mean free Lincolnshire sausages are lovely.

Quorn nuggets are amazing, me and the kids love them.

I didn't rate the Quorn mince tbh, nor the chicken pieces when i made a curry, i would try both in other dishes though so havn't ruled them out.

Tesco's are selling Quorn mince half price at the mo, £1 a bag! So, I bought 4 bags & cooking a huge Spag Bol in my slow cooker, freezing in individual portions & then it can be used for all sorts

If you are looking at quorn sausages then the cumberland and bangers are far nicer than than plain, bog standard sausages.

Back