I think i'm happy with my weight now

I've been on atkins for 2 weeks now and lost roughly 16 lbs. I am very happy with this and don't really want to lose anymore.

The next stage is supposed to be OWL, correct? But as I said i don't want to lose anymore. So I was thinking, could i go to a balanced, healthy diet? I'm not suggesting going back to old habbits and eating crappy takeout, I mean just a good balance of carbs, fat and protein. For example:

B: 2 slices of toast or a small bowl of cereal

L: maybe a sandwich?

D: roast dinner

I would be exersising regularly, as I walk back and forth to college every day which totals about 40 minutes, and usually play football for a couple of hours. I was actually started to lose weight because of all the exersise before I even started atkins. I'm just afraid that if i start eating (not excesively, and no junk) I will start putting weight on rapidly as my body is used to the Atkins diet.

Or does anyone else have an idea what would be smart for me to do next?

too many carbs... you will gain weight back. maybe half a stone of water weight.

you need to reintroduce healthy carbs at a slow pace!

like the owl increase by 5g increments x

I'm in maint and I wouldn't eat that much bread in a week, never mind a day love.

How come you've lost so much? I wander what I've done differently to not lose and I've not cheated. I end up feeling really tired and get an upset tum.

I don't think Dr Atkins would call what you suggest, a 'balanced healthy diet'. Have you read the book? You have done wonderfully well so far. Congratulations.

How come you've lost so much? I wander what I've done differently to not lose and I've not cheated. I end up feeling really tired and get an upset tum.

I think it's because during the first week I was doing atkins wrong, to the extreme and having like less than 5 carbs a day. I was feeling very ill and weak and even threw up once.

too many carbs... you will gain weight back. maybe half a stone of water weight.

you need to reintroduce healthy carbs at a slow pace!

like the owl increase by 5g increments x

Does water weight contribute to physical appearance? and doesn't it go over night anyway? I'm a little iffy on how that works.

Congrats tranquil.. I say add the 5 increments that was stated a week and see where your balance is.. 16 pounds in 2 weeks is great. but you also are active so that helps too..

also a question out there to anyone who knows. Does anyone know anyone who lost weight on atkins and then went back to calorie counting as a way to keep the weight off? Just curious as to when i reach my goal weight..

Congrats tranquil.. I say add the 5 increments that was stated a week and see where your balance is.. 16 pounds in 2 weeks is great. but you also are active so that helps too..

also a question out there to anyone who knows. Does anyone know anyone who lost weight on atkins and then went back to calorie counting as a way to keep the weight off? Just curious as to when i reach my goal weight..

Thanks alot. And that person your talking about - they went straight to calorie counting after they were happy with their weight? I would like to do that, but i don't know if it's safe.

The only person I know who did that is a mate of mine, sadly he is now back to over 20 stone. Having said that, I don't think he was being very strict with his calories though. I mean, he's back to drinking pints of Guiness every night.

Good post Laura.

Spot on.

tranquil no I don't know anyone who lost weight on atkins then went to calorie counting, but Laura posted a great article about it.

Jim no I think going back to drinking guiness like that we wasn't thinking..

I think when I'm at my goal weight and I'll get there is to start with adding the carbs back and then once I stop losing and haven't gained any weight back maybe I'll try calorie counting.. I'm not a big carb processed food person but more of a fruit person so that would be my biggest challenge.. but after losing weight I'm not going to gain it back. absoutely not!!!!

Hello!

I was planning to reintroduce some carbs slowly and up my exercise levels so I can enjoy more calories without gaining too much! :D

I do have the odd Guiness now morenachica. ;)

is that right Laura? I was on induction for 6 months and still had stones and stones to lose. I went on to pre maint when I had about 8lbs to go.

I know Atkins said to only stay on induction for 6 months at the most Laura, but that was in the '72 version, I'm not sure if that changed later.

Glad you see you're almost at target now Hooya. Isn't it when you're 10lbs from goal that you should move on to OWL & stop doing induction?

Ooh I hadn't thought about it - seem to be doing ok on Induction so I figured I'd just crack on with it til I get to goal (or thin enough that I feel ready to stop!). I'm doing a slightly modified Atkins anyway, basically sticking to max 20g carbs and max 1500 cals per day, but eating a few 'banned' foods (tomatoes, nuts, milk) as part of my 20g. I was going to reintroduce fruit but I feel a lot better when I don't eat it to be honest!

So what are you going to eat when you go to maint Hooya?

I know Atkins said to only stay on induction for 6 months at the most Laura, but that was in the '72 version, I'm not sure if that changed later.
Jim, I prefer the '72 book, I think the more recent they are the more commercial they get. I'm told the most recent recommend Atkins bread!!

I lent mine to someone years ago and never got it back, can't remember who either. :(

Back