I think i've discovered syn free pastry???

redkat

Hi all,
I'm after abit of advice - please!
Would this be free on a green day or would it have syns?
I was trying to make a polenta pizza base but it tasted more like pastry. So i'm thinking I could make up mince and onion or steak and onion in a small casserole dish and then make this as the pastry and plonk it on top before serving, but would it be syn free?
I know that there's some debate over polenta.
Here's the recipe anyway.
Ingredients.
140g Polenta.
S and P.
1 egg yolk.
Water.
Place polenta in a bowl. Add enough water to make a firm paste. Season. (I also added some mixed herbs) Stir in the egg yolk. Spray a tray with frylight. Place dough onto tray, flatten with your fingers until about 1 cm deep.
pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees.

* For pizza base, bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven then add your toppings and cheese. And return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
* For pastry, bake for approx 10 minutes.
So do you think it's free or should i syn it?
Either way it tastes great :D And i'm looking forward to eating pie and chips!!
TIA

Ooooh i hope it's free! Never used polenta, but will try it for both the pizza and the pastry topping...yum! x

I've never used polenta, but this is such a good idea I shall have to get some and try it, thank you. X

It wont be free on green though as its mince or steak x

No, but it would be free on an EE day Hun.

yer but its just the original poster was asking if it was free on green or if it would have syns and the replies all suggest yes it would be free on green x

it would be free on green, as for mince you could use hexb or use more for ee, wouldnt no if would be free on original if using loads of meat though?? hmmmm must check polenta and see where its free, good idea cheers

it would be free on green, as for mince you could use hexb or use more for ee, wouldnt no if would be free on original if using loads of meat though?? hmmmm must check polenta and see where its free, good idea cheers

you can have much meat as you want on a orignal day though, so you cant have 'too much meat' x

Erm...what's polenta??? *feels like SW moron*

Hi
Sorry, I was just asking about the polenta being free. (As some say it has syns if used as a flour but in the Sw cook book they use it for corn bread) I should have made it clearier in my post. Obviously the meat would be a HE B. Or completely free on EE. But you all agree that the polenta is free on green.
Cheers.
Kerry

Okay ladies. Iv searched high and low for polenta in supermarket and cant find it, but have just stumbled across an un-opened pack in Oh's mothers cupboard *stealage!*

i need definate confirmation that this is free though and think i may ahve to ring sw hotline? x

I know it is used in the corn bread recipe but shouldn't it be synned as it is being used as a flour substitute? Or is that just when it is ground? I am not sure really.

It isn't as though you will have a massive portion and it wouldn't be on a regular basis (daily, I mean!) so I would give it a go!!

Okay ladies. Iv searched high and low for polenta in supermarket and cant find it, but have just stumbled across an un-opened pack in Oh's mothers cupboard *stealage!*

i need definate confirmation that this is free though and think i may ahve to ring sw hotline? x

Considering they steal your foods, I think stealing polenta is totally legit ;)

Polenta used as flour is not free unless it is the course ground wholemeal stuff. Any other polenta (i.e. cornmeal) has a syn value when used as a flour.

Or you can also buy the Polenta rolls which are free, but that is already prepared stuff.

Sorry to bump an old post, but this is all I could find regarding SW friendly pastry alternatives, Is polenta still free on EE?

would love to know where we stand with this as i love pastry and would be great to beable to have this even if it is really low syns

Back