I want some ice cream!!!!

StripedDaisy

A sucker for a key change
Hi all,

I very kindly bought my DH an ice cream maker for Christmas but as our freezer packed up on Xmas day, it hasn't been used yet. Now we have a replacement freezer and my DH is tormenting me with all the synful ice cream he is going to make. Any suggestions for a syn free one. I have searched the forum for some recipes but they are too often about freezing toffee mullers (which I can't stand, no offence to those that love them though).

Its so easy to help yourself to more than an ideal portion of scoopable ice-cream. I'd be tempted to say to myself that that ice-cream is for my hubby and I'll satisfy my ice-cream craving with mini-milks ! 1.5syns each :)

I'd be interested to see if anyone has any ideas for a low fat ice-cream though. I too despise mullerlights (why do they have to put gelatine in it-yuck!).

I like using frozen berries straight from the freezer, mixing them with sweetened natural yoghurt and stirring - the frozen berries freeze the yoghurt and it makes a really nice textured frozen treat.

I haven't done this one myself, I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but you could try mixing quark with sweetener and adding a flavouring like vanilla or some berries - stirring every hour or so as you're freezing it to break it up. That could work.

I agree about the mullers. Am so please that the new Activia Light are syn free. I think the vanilla ones are creamy and tasty enough to make a nice ice cream with - not that I know how as I've never made ice cream before.
Could you make a sorbet instead?

Thanks for the comments. I didn't realise about the Activia, I will have to try them. The machine makes sorbets too, but I don't know how to make them. I assumed they would be calorific too, but I guess anything can be substituted...

Good idea about the frozen berries. Sadly as our freezer died, I have chucked all my frozen fruit (plus all my bacon etc etc) :cry:so I will have to restock!!

Sugar Free Raspberry Sorbet Recipe

Maybe try using made up syn free orange squash to replace the juice (the high-juice ones are usually quite flavoursome).

The last bit of the recipe would be where your icecream maker does the work I suppose.

Last summer we had a SW recipe evening at class - it had been a very hot day and someone brought a huge cooler full of fruit sorbet!!! My word, she was a popular girl that night!

She had just taken a couple of bags of mixed frozen berries (hers were from Sainsburys), thawed them just a little, added Splenda to taste, and then froze it in her machine. Dead easy, not too expensive, and utterly delicious.

Back