I wish SW would acknowledge inch loss!

slimmingmadhouse

As an online member I put my weight loss in once a week and I get a response back depending on if I've lost, gained or maintained. I've really got into exercise this time but am finding it affects my weight loss but I lose inches. I can stick to plan and exercise regularly and even though I've lost cms I have maintained. But as I've maintained I don't get the well done you lost cms I get the page that asks me to think about why I've maintained and articles on how to inspire me. This can be quite demotivating. I've got bronze and silver body magic awards and haven't missed a week yet of exercise quota, but I just wish there was more acknowledgement of inches/cms lost.:(

My guess is it's because SW promote healthy eating. So when people change their diet they can lose weight whether they exercise or not. So in effect, although SW promote exercise because it's good for you, it isn't the main part of SW, the food is.

I assume you keep your own records so just congratulate yourself, a little non food treat for example for every cm or two you loose, however you decide?! I don't measure myself personally as don't seem to be too good at it, maybe not measuring in the exact same places because my measurements are always all over the place!

I think that you should keep a record of your measurements and congratulate your self and have inch loss aims, I never weigh myself i only go by how i look in the mirror and feel in my clothes, i know i have about 3 stone to lose but doing slimming world off my own back, my way, works for me

Good luck with your inch losses you should be proud of yourself x

My guess is it's because SW promote healthy eating. So when people change their diet they can lose weight whether they exercise or not. So in effect, although SW promote exercise because it's good for you, it isn't the main part of SW, the food is.

But that's not always the case, I've heard of lots of people who find they maintain and even put on weight when they exercise even if they stick to the plan rigidly!

SW is a weight loss company so won't really acknowledge inch loss. We join to lose weight and that's what we get our awards for. The body magic awards are just an added bonus really, they encourage you to exercise because it's good for you but not to increase your weight loss - in fact they say it can account for (at most) 1-2lb extra a month.

Take your measurements and pat yourself on the back, but it's not really what SW is all about.

SW is a weight loss company so won't really acknowledge inch loss. We join to lose weight and that's what we get our awards for. The body magic awards are just an added bonus really, they encourage you to exercise because it's good for you but not to increase your weight loss - in fact they say it can account for (at most) 1-2lb extra a month.

Take your measurements and pat yourself on the back, but it's not really what SW is all about.

I think that people on here should acknowledge inch loss for other members, as exercise increases muscle density which can make you heavier but lose the inches, surely we're not going to promote lack of exercise as a way to lose weight!

I think that people on here should acknowledge inch loss for other members, as exercise increases muscle density which can make you heavier but lose the inches, surely we're not going to promote lack of exercise as a way to lose weight!

I'm not sure what you are saying here? I'm not promoting lack of exercise as a way to lose weight. Far from it :confused:

no not saying that exactly just that we on here should maybe acknowledge inch loss for others as a support group i know i certainly lose the inches before the pounds

Quite so.

I was answering the OP's question as to SW acknowledging inch loss - SW (as a company) acknowledge weight loss, not inch loss. That's where my post was coming from.

Nothing to do with not acknowledging what the OP has achieved but that wasn't what her post was about.

I understand that SW promotes weight loss but they do also encourage exercise. My point is that when you put your weight in online if you have maintained or gone up in weight, it doesn't then ask if you've exercised or lost inches it just offers advice for staying on plan. Which can be quite disappointing if you feel you've lost fat but gained muscle. Even though it's only a small thing the reason most people join SW classes or online instead of just doing it themselves is for motivation, so it would be nice for them to recognise inch loss.

Yep, quite right. Was just offering a different spin on things, and trying to give my opinion on why SW don't do this. I wasn't saying they were right or wrong.

Whilst they don't "reward" you, there are spaces in your book for measurements and I know our consultant does encourage you to measure yourself when you start.

Perhaps it would be worth reading through the NSV (Non Scale Victories) thread and submitting your own when you have them, as often it's people who can see the difference, who have a different size clothes, inches lost, or just faced a challenge of any kind and came out smiling. Weight loss is important and is the principle aim of SW, but Minimins members generally are very supportive over other Non Scale Victories :)

:)
Perhaps it would be worth reading through the NSV (Non Scale Victories) thread and submitting your own when you have them, as often it's people who can see the difference, who have a different size clothes, inches lost, or just faced a challenge of any kind and came out smiling. Weight loss is important and is the principle aim of SW, but Minimins members generally are very supportive over other Non Scale Victories :)

Thank you, I must have missed the NSV thread I'll take a look. I was wondering if it was worth continuing online because of this, but I do get quite a lot from it so I may just combine it with the NSV thread. :)

:)

Thank you, I must have missed the NSV thread I'll take a look. I was wondering if it was worth continuing online because of this, but I do get quite a lot from it so I may just combine it with the NSV thread. :)

I think it was moved recently into the 'Off Topic' forum (which I don't think it *is* but w/e) but it's a sticky in there, and it's full of fab things to read, and you can feel the happiness radiating from posts :)

Back