IBS and food intolerence advice wanted please

MissHP

Silver Member
Hi all,

I have IBS and know some of the foods that i need to avoid else i'm in agony, but i'm still finding things all the time that set me off.

I've looked at food intolerence tests on the internet and of course their websites make them sound really good and worth every penny. The thing is the tests are very expensive and I just wondered if any of you have had a food intolerence tests, and if you actually had good results?

I've read so many things saying they are a waste of money, but i would really like to get real peoples opinions. I'm sick of being in pain, bloated, rushing to the loo or not being able to go, and being a total wind bag :cry:

Help!

Hxx

My sister had similar problems, doctors told her it was IBS and not much they could do....went on for a couple of years. She used to be in agony and then last year she went to see a nutritional therapist who wrote her a detox, did some tests and turned out she had a parasite from when she went travelling and got a bad tummy bug a few years before. She cut out some different foods, ate a well balanced low gi diet. She is now 100% over her ibs and stomach problems, healthier than ever and a skinny minx!!

I think that everything is worth a try if you have a problem that is making you unhappy! People may be sceptical but you can give it a try and see what you think....maybe it will bbe the answer you are looking for.

Hi Nataby,

Thank you for your reply. Yeah you might be right, I'm getting so fed up with it maybe it is worth trying everything and anything that might help.

Hxx

Hi MisHP, It's a very complex question, that one!
I suffer from IBS and know only too well of the dicomfort it causes, however, the foods that can start off a bout is soo different from one person to another and can even change from one time to another. Therefore any tests done are only showing what the situation is at that one time.
Far better to be aware of the foods that you are sensitive to and be very careful to eat in very small amounts or avoid them altogether.
Hope you soon get some relief and able to manage it satisfactorily soon.

I agree with Emmaline, IBS can change so frequently that food intolerance tests wouldn't really show you the whole picture. Over the few years I've had IBS, I've really learnt to listen to what my body is telling me. Some days I am perfectly fine, others (like this last week), I'm in agony & need to slow down. A few hours with something warm on my abdomen tends to help much more than tablets.

Some days fruit will set it off, some times it will be caffeine, too much chocolate, not enough to eat, not enough sleep... The list goes on! I can't imagine all the tests I would have needed to show me what to eat & do, & when to eat/do things! I know it's painful & uncomfortable, but you really need to learn what your body needs :)

I agree with Emmaline, IBS can change so frequently that food intolerance tests wouldn't really show you the whole picture. Over the few years I've had IBS, I've really learnt to listen to what my body is telling me. Some days I am perfectly fine, others (like this last week), I'm in agony & need to slow down. A few hours with something warm on my abdomen tends to help much more than tablets.

Some days fruit will set it off, some times it will be caffeine, too much chocolate, not enough to eat, not enough sleep... The list goes on! I can't imagine all the tests I would have needed to show me what to eat & do, & when to eat/do things! I know it's painful & uncomfortable, but you really need to learn what your body needs :)

Well said, and the being overtired bit is VERY relevant too.

I'm so glad this thread has started. I have also been told I have IBS. I think this is a label doctors give to a whole host of digestive issues and it makes me very miserable. Fruit is a big one for me but the other day went to a noodle bar and was in pain after my starter of vegetables! However, I've started taking probiotic acidophilus, 3 billion and it does seem to be easing things slightly.

Let me know if you find anything else that works foe you x

Well said, and the being overtired bit is VERY relevant too.

I hate it, if I don't get enough sleep one night then I could be on the toilet for the entire of the next day! Stress is a big factor for me too.

amyd42 - That's pretty much what my Dr told me.. If you have a digestive problem that doesn't fit in any other box, then it is IBS. Lol.

JustmeGemmy said:
I hate it, if I don't get enough sleep one night then I could be on the toilet for the entire of the next day! Stress is a big factor for me too.

amyd42 - That's pretty much what my Dr told me.. If you have a digestive problem that doesn't fit in any other box, then it is IBS. Lol.

It makes me laugh, like they got sick of naming all the different digestive problems so just call them all the same thing lol x

Back