IBS and SW (and low FODMAP)

ununpentium

Sherlock Holmes
I've done SW in the past and lost a stone. Only since stopping I've really gone to town with eating whatever I wanted and my IBS has worsened and I've put on about 4lbs. I recently saw a dietitian who gave me advice about what to eat for IBS and it reminded me of the SW EE plan. So I thought I might incorporate the dietitian's advice with SW and see if I can lose some weight a the same time.

Does anyone else here have IBS and has any tweaks for the SW plan?

For example I'm not allowed onion or garlic, or vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts as they cause bloating. And no more than 2 portions of fruit per day.

I might be trying the low FODMAP diet in a few months if my IBS doesn't improve. It's also fairly compatible with SW from what I've seen.

I've done SW in the past and lost a stone. Only since stopping I've really gone to town with eating whatever I wanted and my IBS has worsened and I've put on about 4lbs. I recently saw a dietitian who gave me advice about what to eat for IBS and it reminded me of the SW EE plan. So I thought I might incorporate the dietitian's advice with SW and see if I can lose some weight a the same time. Does anyone else here have IBS and has any tweaks for the SW plan? For example I'm not allowed onion or garlic, or vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts as they cause bloating. And no more than 2 portions of fruit per day. I might be trying the low FODMAP diet in a few months if my IBS doesn't improve. It's also fairly compatible with SW from what I've seen.

Hey Stranger! It's good to see you back! I have to say that the Free Foods aren't easy with IBS :-( I could start my own energy company some nights ;-) x

Hi Serena!

Yeah I agree the free foods can be an issue, especially as they are mainly fruit and veg! Though I can have root vegetables according to the dietitian so all is not lost! And I've been told to greatly reduce my intake of cakes, crisps and chocolate (I went on a big binge...) which is good as that'll mean I wont 'spend' too many syns on those. I'm currently scouring all my cook books to get new recipe ideas that I can adapt for SW and IBS.

Thanks glittermonkey, I've been prescribed mebeverine. I've tried peppermint tea but it wasn't for me!

I was also told to increase my exercise so I've bought a cheap pedometer and will be taking to the streets for lots of walking.

Hi Serena! Yeah I agree the free foods can be an issue, especially as they are mainly fruit and veg! Though I can have root vegetables according to the dietitian so all is not lost! And I've been told to greatly reduce my intake of cakes, crisps and chocolate (I went on a big binge...) which is good as that'll mean I wont 'spend' too many syns on those. I'm currently scouring all my cook books to get new recipe ideas that I can adapt for SW and IBS. Thanks glittermonkey, I've been prescribed mebeverine. I've tried peppermint tea but it wasn't for me! I was also told to increase my exercise so I've bought a cheap pedometer and will be taking to the streets for lots of walking.

Root Veg are brill as they are so versatile too! If you have an Aldi near you, all their root veg is in the super 6 for 59p this week :) I've not had any crisps, biscuits or cakes since SW and only chocolate I've had is a 99 Mini Flake which are tiny and touch wood my IBS has been pretty good! I'm also 16 Days Binge Free which must mean I'm eating the right sorts of food. X

I ended up in A&E last year due to extreme bloating and was worried I had something serious. Turns out I had ibs as they ruled everything else out.

I now have to keep my fruit intake down and not eat too much acidic fruits.
I also find eating wholewheat pasta is much better for my stomach and I don't get bloating anymore.

I vary my HEB's too tend not to have too much bread or vary between the ww love fibre pittas, slices of wholemeal bread or the dietary specials white ciabatta as my HEB.

If I ever suffer with feeling sluggish I have a cup of Twinings detox or digest tea after a meal.
Since this time last year I've not had a bad Attack.

Look at this pic of me last year...

ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1422668077.077855.jpg

I looked pregnant and my stomach was really hard and painful.

This is how it looks now I'm better.
Left is Nov 2014 I was not as bloated but was carrying a few extras lbs after a few months off plan lol and the right is Jan 2015 now I've lost 8lbs.

Much less bloated and not hard anymore. It's really horrible when you suffer so I feel for anyone who has ibs I hope you find what causes it and manage to settle it down. xxx

ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1422668114.915997.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Back