IBS Help

Holidaygirl10 said:
Hi, I believe I have suffered from IBS for years and after a recent health scare doc is now taking me seriously.:sigh: Begged him not to refer me to hospital for investigations as I have been through a traumatic time lately so he has given me Mebeverine and fybogel to take and if no better in 2 months will refer me for all the tests etc. I think because I am 50 they have to check all is well, but hope meds help!:eek:
How are you doing?

Hi. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. What tests were you worried about? I've had them all so might be able to put your mind at rest x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi, doc said tests would be "tubes re both ends":eek: and he knows with my current anxiety/depression I would struggle to go through anything unless heavily sedated maybe!:cry:
I would like food allergy tests really as my friend has coeliacs and my symptoms are like hers were. I know you can't generalise on these things though! Time will tell:confused:

Ah the "double ender" as my consultant calls it. I've had that loads of times but I'm heavily sedated and can't remember a thing afterwards :) The worst bit is actually the prep beforehand.

Another thing you could ask about is a capsule endoscopy. It's a camera the size of a pill which you swallow in the morning and it works it's way out, taking pictures on the way. It's less invasive and also gets to all the parts that the tubes can't!

As for allergy testing, I've never had this but I think a good option is to exclude foods and slowly reintroduce them? I know what foods make me flare up from experience

Anyway, hope this helps x

Ah the "double ender" as my consultant calls it. I've had that loads of times but I'm heavily sedated and can't remember a thing afterwards :) The worst bit is actually the prep beforehand.

Another thing you could ask about is a capsule endoscopy. It's a camera the size of a pill which you swallow in the morning and it works it's way out, taking pictures on the way. It's less invasive and also gets to all the parts that the tubes can't!

As for allergy testing, I've never had this but I think a good option is to exclude foods and slowly reintroduce them? I know what foods make me flare up from experience

Anyway, hope this helps x

Thank you ever so much. I will see what happens over the next few weeks.
At my age:50 :eek: I think doc needs to make sure all is well so will do whatever is required, as you say sedation sounds good to me!:p

I have IBS have had for 20+ years. I can't eat burgers or too much veg so I split my week between EE and green. I also cannot take iron tablets for more than a few days or the diarrhoea makes me very ill.
I can't take the peppermint capsules as my bowels work too fast sometimes and had an occasion when they burst on exit and I had a very very sore you know what!

My symptoms are usually cramps and diarrhoea and I am SURE that it's the cause of my malabsorption problems (I have vitamin b12 and folic acid defiency as well as iron anaemia).
I have had an Endoscopy to test for Coeliac as the consultant was 99% certain I had it...it was negative! However I have been told to be sedated next time due to a severe gag reflex!

So my self help tips are no fatty foods, not too much plant fibre, only take irons tabs for three day and a gap of a week.

Oh and my IBS is linked to migraines too and after every migraine I have a very icky tummy!

hi all
i have suffered with IBS for 15yrs and recently went to a retreat who suggested dairy free wheat free and no caffiene or artificial sweetners, have found out this week to avoid potatoes and potato flour. and it seems to be working well. different foods are triggers and i will add a food back in to see if it triggers ibs symptoms. makes losing weight hard but getting rid of ibs is the aim.
x

I have had an Endoscopy to test for Coeliac as the consultant was 99% certain I had it...it was negative! However I have been told to be sedated next time due to a severe gag reflex!

!

if you have been avoiding any gluten prior to the test , the test will be negative, don't know if thats what happened. hugs
x

My friend has coeliacs and she told me don't ommit anything from your diet until the tests have been done! :(
However getting the tests is the problem in the first place as it's so often wrongly diagnosed as IBS - so it is a catch 22 situation.:confused:
Seeing her struggle it seems important to be diagnosed correctly as you need to be advised how to protect your bones and general health by taking extra vitamins etc as relevant..
Just a thought:)

The consultant told me to od on wheat the week before the test! So not that !

Back