Ice Cream Maker Problems

Qua Sae

I just wondered if anyone else had this problem at all?

OH & I bought an ice cream maker a week ago from John Lewis.. As soon as we got it home, we put the bowl straight in the freezer. After 8hrs it wasn't frozen in the slightest, we thought, ok, it does say between 6-22hrs to freeze & left it.

The next day we went to make some frozen yogurt & the bowl had frozen nicely.. It was the consistency of a Mr-Whippy ice cream & melted VERY quickly!

Since then the bowl has been in the freezer (So since Tuesday night). I wanted to make some strawberry frozen yogurt tonight & the bowl wasn't even a little bit frozen! It was very cold, so I (rather stupidly) decided to try making some frozen yogurt anyway.. It didn't work. It just made really cold yogurt. Lol.

Has any one else had any problems getting the bowl to freeze? I don't understand why it took about 22hrs before & then the second time it's been in there for DAYS & nothing?!

Everything in our freezer is frozen just fine so it can't be that, surely? We might have to return it if we can't figure out the problem :(

Gonna try it in a different part of the freezer before returning it.. But would love some opinions if anyone has any :)

Is it in the same freezer drawer, as for some reason I have a feeling i've seen somewhere that different drawers have different levels (but there's every chance that was a wierd dream and i'm making it up!!).

I use my step-mum's and i've never had a problem with it. I wouldn't know how to tell if it was frozen or not, as it's solid, so can't see or feel what's inside it.

If it still doesn't work, take it back and exchange it for a new one!

The bowl for my ice-cream maker only freezes in the top of my freezer, fast freeze section, and it takes about 2 days!!! If I put it in the chest freezer tho it freezes within hours. If it's not frozen you can hear the liquid inside moving about, I just leave mine in the freezer all the time so it's ready for use.

When you churn your ice-cream it will still be soft and you need to transfer it into a tub and back into the freezer... Or at least that's what the instructions on mine say. Mine was from Lakeland.

Hth
H x

Last edited:
Jennyonaplate - When I shake it, the liquid still moves about so that's how I know it's not frozen :)

jellibabe - Thank you.. We put it in the top drawer & that seems to have worked! Do you still get ice crystals if you put it in the freezer after it's been in the ice cream maker? I'm hoping to make some strawberry frozen yogurt tonight :D

JustmeGemmy said:
Jennyonaplate - When I shake it, the liquid still moves about so that's how I know it's not frozen :)

jellibabe - Thank you.. We put it in the top drawer & that seems to have worked! Do you still get ice crystals if you put it in the freezer after it's been in the ice cream maker? I'm hoping to make some strawberry frozen yogurt tonight :D

No crystals at all!! Glad you got it sorted. Remember to take the ice cream out 10 minutes before you serve as it goes harder than normal ice cream, good luck xx

Back