Ideal 'goal' weight

Twinny

EEEEKKKK...

I just looked at a BMI calculator and worked out that my 'ideal' weight range is between 6st 9lb (93lb) and 8st 13lb (125lb). So if I go over 8st 13lb technically I'm 'overweight' again.

Last time I dieted I got to 8st 4 (116lb) and everyone was going mad at me saying I looked ill, too thin blah blah so I never got to my actual goal which was 7st 12 (110lb) - this would make my BMI 22 which is supposed to be ideal.

How are you supposed to deal with all the negative comments - I know some of it is that they are genuinely concerned, and dont want you to change etc but its still really hard! Even Im scared of being 6st something.......sounds like the weight a child should be - I forget sometimes that Im actually tiny......:eek:

Hi Twinny- I'm not sure I am any authority on this by any stretch, I must be a bit taller than you, as my lowest ideal weight is a bit heavier than that. But I am aiming to get back into a certain dress AND Iknow how much I weighed when I wore it, but it wasn't the lower end of the healthy range for me, in fact it was 2lb over the top of the range.

I think the best thing is to focus on how you look and more importantly how you feel. But I know that having a goal is incredibley motivating.

I've had negative comments being bigger, so if I get them for being tiny then that's just other peoples inability to accept me as I am- I'm not saying it won't be crushing, but in reality all the positives of losing weight should answer any of the critics- i'm so much more energetic etc etc.

xxx

Twinny... the BMI range is an odd one as doesn't take all sorts of stuff in consideration, like what sex you are, type of build, age etc... So, just go for where you think you look the best...

I'm now at the point in my weight loss where if I tell people I want to lose another 7lbs at least... some respond with "What?! Where from?!?!"... But they don't know what's going on under my clothes!! Lol... I guess I must dress well, so hide the various unsightly lumps and bumps still very evident when I'm in just underwear... which is good, coz I don't want people to know about them! ;)

But equally, as much as it's quite flattering in a way, I have no intention of stopping just because they think I should! I was always doing this for me, and so will continue to do so.

My current goal weight would actually put me at a BMI of 22.7 which is pretty much half way between the recommended 18.5 and 25... but this is coincidence. I am currently between clothes sizes so either need to go up a bit or down a bit! And up is not an option to me... so down, it is! :D

The thing is, we have no right to have a say when it comes to other peoples weights/sizes who are not on a diet... so why do they think they can dictate what we should do. It's not a free licence to comment, just because we're losing weight.

How would they like it if we saw them one day and said "ooh, you are looking emaciated! You should eat!"... Lol... can't see that going down too well!

Pigtails has the right attitude above... do what makes you happy... your goal weight is still negotiable, even after you reach it... so get there, take some pics so you can really see how you look (I find this helps a lot, as really can't tell, strangely, when looking in the mirror!) and then re-evaluate if you need to...

Hope this helps hunny... :)

xx

I never had a goal weight only a size and i actually stopped 2 sizes below that! However it does mean i have a bmi of 26, im not to worried thou better than 46!!

hi Twinny - like you I am only 5 foot tall. At the moment I still have a high BMI and I would only just be within normal range if I lost another stone. I'm not sure I am going to be able to do that as I am now really starting to struggle - am in week 15 and am finding it very difficult to be totally abstinent and so have decided to start RTM next week. Unfortunately have had a huge lapse today so am feeling a bit down.

At the weight I am now I can get into quite a few 12s and one or two 10s. To be perfectly honest I would be happy if I could stay at this weight and not put on any more weight for the rest of my life. However, being the height we are there is nowhere to hide the extra few pounds and so I have to be hyper vigilant. I apologise for rambling but it's not often I see anybody as short as me on these threads.

just a wee note about finding out your true weight... if you go on the dukan web site and do the questionnaire it will tell you your true weight, the weight you will manage most easily... give it ago youll be surprised, mine is 9st 11lbs!!!i got down to 8st 10lbs at my lightest on ll, but couldnt maintain.... new target hopefully new start! xx

Oooh thanks for all your replies ladies. I really appreciate it and it has helped.

Carrie I like the sound of a 'natural' weight - Ill go and have a look now :p

just a wee note about finding out your true weight... if you go on the dukan web site and do the questionnaire it will tell you your true weight, the weight you will manage most easily... give it ago youll be surprised, mine is 9st 11lbs!!!i got down to 8st 10lbs at my lightest on ll, but couldnt maintain.... new target hopefully new start! xx
Whhooaahh!! My true weight according to that is 9st 5lbs... my current weight! :eek:

Well, that's good innit! :D

I'll still lose my last planned 6lbs, as wanna get a little lower so have some leeway etc... But thanks for the tip, was a useful exercise... :)

xx

OMG I love the true weight suggestions- It is 2 stone more than my target weight and seems much more achievable. I think I will use that as a guide, but I really want to reach my target weight, just to see how it feels!

Thanks Carrie
xxx

Wow my true weight is only 11st 1lb,my target weigh is 11st.yay!

Sexy xx

Loving the true weight mine is 151 so aiming for the 154 isn't a million miles away now. Reassessing my target was the right thing to do for me and as mentioned in an earlier thread it was more about the dress size which for me was 12 I am currently in that size xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just had a look at it and mine is in the overweight BMI category which I'm not happy about although it is lighter than I've been in a LONG time so I shall see how I feel when I get there.....

People may think I am mad lol I want to be a size 16 ! Cant get my head round anything smaller ! You never know though. Liked the Dukan thingy a reasonable weight rather than BMI based which for me is 7 stone something to 9 stone something.

Bah humbug to BMI !

How I explain it is in terms of BMI points as people on the whole, have no idea what that means in weight. 'I want to be the weight where the Wii Fit is happy!'. If anyone whispers 'If you don't mind me saying I think you've gone too far' I say 'VLCD's mean you don't have any glycogen in your system - that's the stuff that plumps up your cheeks and stops you looking scrawny - as soon as I start eating carbohydrates again, I can assure you it will come back and I'll start looking normal even if I'm 2 BMI points lower.

I cant find my true weight - I went on the dukan website and clicked on the link, filled in all my details but it just came back with:

7 days lightening attack (lose 6lb)
118 days perseverance (lose 2st 4lb)
168 days to consolidate

What am I doing wrong :confused:

People may think I am mad lol I want to be a size 16 ! Cant get my head round anything smaller ! You never know though. Liked the Dukan thingy a reasonable weight rather than BMI based which for me is 7 stone something to 9 stone something.

Bah humbug to BMI !

My idel BMI goes from 7 stone something to 9 stone something too! 7 stone is so so so light though - to me that's a child's weight!

Thanks Pinkie...

I had to use a different computer but it eventually told me that my ideal weight is 9st 9lb (which is overweight for me. I hit obesity at 10st 3!!)

I think it bases it on your the weight you enter for the question "What is your stable weight, the weight you can maintain while still eating" cant remember exactly how the question was worded. I put me highest weigh in there for the answer - 16st 2lb simply because I have no idea what my 'stable weight' actually is. If I hadn't done LL back in 2008, and again now I'd probably be about 25 stone now :( my weight doesn't seem to stabilise anywhere - just goes up and up.....and up

Heyyyy Pinkie - Ive just noticed you've only got 4lb to go to your goal YAYYYY!

*you wont disappear from here will you??? I love your posts* :eek:

Back