Ideal weight

lardass

Silver Member
I have been looking at my ideal weight for my height/build and it seems very low. Last year got down to 10 st 5 and people told me not to lose any more as i looked too thin, but was nowhere near the lower end of my ideal range.

range 9.3 - 10.10

I dont always go along with the ideal weight charts, everyone is unique, some have a heavier bone mass, some have more muscle bulk, some misjudge their build. My mum was 5ft4in and according to all the charts should have weighed around 9st. I remember dieting with her and at 10st 4lbs she was in a size 10 and looking great. 2lbs lighter she began to look haggard. The guides are just that a general guide. Youll know you're at your goal when you get there.

if i was my ideal weight i would be ill in hospital, i wasnt even near my ideal weight when was a catwalk model when i was 18yrs, so i nver take any notice of the ideal weight thing,

I must admit i'm aiming for the 'top' of my ideal weight.. 10 stone and am taking it as it comes anywhere after i've reached 11 to be honest!
At 11 and a half stone in former years I was in a 14, so if i get to 10 stone i reckon i'll be a 10/12 and that to me is TINY! lol i'm still coming to terms with a 22 being too big! lol
I guess it depends on how we see ourselves in pictures, that is the only judgement i can use.
I don't want to be skinny, but then don't wan tot be fat either..

A friend/mum at school is a size 10/12, and still has 'fleshy bits' if you know what i mean.. I'd like to be like her.. :D

I spoke to a girl at the weekend who is the same height as me and 10 stone 5 but she looked quite skinny to me. I'm only 4lbs more than that but I'm top heavy so I think I look much bigger than her. I think people who carry weight on their hips/legs generally appear slimmer and can 'hide' it better, but that's just my opinion.

I don't believe in ideal weight. I was once 9stone exactly, just below a BMI of 19. I looked like something out of belsen. I have a high muscle bulk and as a rule look best at about 11 stone BMI of 24. At 11 stone I am a small size 12 large 10. Anything less than that and I look ill. I am 5 ft 7inches (and a bit since osteopath fixed my neck) and at the moment have a BMI of 27.9 just 3.9 to go to my personal goal. However, when I got to 12 1/2 stone last time I thought I looked great and stopped. I wish I had pressed on into the healthy range.

Jackie

I don't believe in ideal weight. I was once 9stone exactly, just below a BMI of 19. I looked like something out of belsen. I have a high muscle bulk and as a rule look best at about 11 stone BMI of 24. At 11 stone I am a small size 12 large 10. Anything less than that and I look ill. I am 5 ft 7inches (and a bit since osteopath fixed my neck) and at the moment have a BMI of 27.9 just 3.9 to go to my personal goal. However, when I got to 12 1/2 stone last time I thought I looked great and stopped. I wish I had pressed on into the healthy range.

Jackie

Jackie R you are just like me!
I'm 5'7 and a bit and currently 13st5 (14st11 at start of CDC). I got down to just under 13 stone, was a (biggish) size 12 and stopped.
This time I want to get to 11st10 and then see how I look!
The bottom end of my ideal range is about 9 1/2 stone - last time I was that weight my mum took me to the doctor as she thought I was anorexic!

I am 5' 4" and very small frame...I now fit into a size 31/2 shoe already!

My feet have shrunk back down I was in a size 5:eek:

I use to be 110lbs. for years (that's in the nude weight)

And I think this would be way too light for me now that I am older as I don't want to look scrawny:rolleyes:

I am now aiming for 9 stone and I will see what I look like then...

By the way you do know you fill back out again when you come off SSing as the glycogen store refills...so you do need to allow a couple of pounds for this.

Love Mini xxx

I spoke to a girl at the weekend who is the same height as me and 10 stone 5 but she looked quite skinny to me. I'm only 4lbs more than that but I'm top heavy so I think I look much bigger than her. I think people who carry weight on their hips/legs generally appear slimmer and can 'hide' it better, but that's just my opinion.

I agree 100% with you :)

I carry my weight on my legs and because I have to wear wide legged trousers as my legs don't fit in to most standard straight legged trousers then this disguises the shape of them. Because I have no chest and carry no extra weight on my top half and this is where people look at you then my weight has to be higher than I thought it would need to be.

If I tried to lose any more weight (I'm 10st 10lbs at 5ft 7inches) then it would only continue to come off all the areas I don't need it to come from and remain on the bits I actually want to shrink. All this will succeed in doing is making me look out of proportion and probably ill :rolleyes: In otherwords, worse than I do now.

I'm due to do this months progress shots tonight but we are going out. I'll post them in the gallery when I can and because I am now at goal I will also post photos of me with clothes on - in the previous ones in the gallery I am in a swimsuit so you can see exactly where the weight came off and what was left still to lose. By putting shots on where I am wearing my choice of clothes you'll be able to see that although I still have weight to lose, as I can't dictate where it comes off I need to stop and do the rest with exercise. :eek: :D

I stressed about just this for ages when I was on SS, because the ideal weight for someone of my height was something obscene like half of my starting weight. I knew I was never going to reach that, and to try would have been crazy. I had problems with my original GP and have since moved, and now have a Doc that talks a lot of sense, and since speaking to her I now could not give a damn what my BMI is. I keep an eye on my Body Fat %age.

My doc says that BF% is a more accurate measure of your "healthy weight" that BMI can ever be. She says that a scale that operates on a "one size fits all" basis is going to be wrong in a large majority of cases.

She says if you can get your Body Fat %age into the acceptable range (25-31% for Women, and 18-25% for Men), and aim for what she refers to as the "Fitness Range" (21-24% for Women, and 14-17% for Men), then you have a healthy body. How healthy depends on how far you want to go.

I currently have a BF% of 19.5%, which is "Acceptable" ... to her. But not to me.

I am using diet and exercise to slowly bring my weight down and my fitness up. I am concentrating on "fat-burning" exercise rather than muscle building .......

BMI, says my Doc, is not worth worrying about. It is a very rough guide at best.

Steve

Your doc is dead right Steve, I have to medical police recruits, some of them have a BMI over 30 so cant be accepted to join outright, but when I do the BF% its like 10% more than acceptable. World class athletes often have BMI's above 30 it is just muscle weight, not fat.
Body fat % is the way to go. BUT use calipers not scales, the scales depend on electrolytes in your body producing resistance and can be as much as 5% out.

My hubby is a prime example of this, he is fit and healthy (on the outside) he plays sport stays the same weight BMI 20.6 but he eats crap. It is a miracle if he gets his 5 a day, and i am sure his cholesterol would be much higher than mine.

But according to 'charts' he is the ideal weight and has a good BMI.

Makes me sick, he says its just his metabolism.

Hi, I'm 5 3.5 (this 0.5 is used for weight loss discussions only LOL). My orignial target weight was 10st 4 which gives me a bmi of 25.1.

But at 149, I fit into size 10 on my bottom half and 12/14 on top (never lost weight off my chest)

I go to the gym and lift weights and do Pilates. At 10st 4 in the past was a heavy 14.

My DH though has a bmi of 26.5, he's over 6 ft and weighs 200lbs. He lifts weights and does thai boxing and has always been very fit, eats heathly etc. For him to get to below 25 bmi he needs to lose a stone and he'd look ill.

Why is it when I was overweight and I said this it sounded like I was making excuses and now it's all commonsense!

Back