Ideas with Chick peas?

snuggle69

Silver Member
I really do enjoy chick peas, but just not sure what else to do with them apart from in the slow cooker?
Anyone got any yummy recipes, love spicy food so anything like that would be good

Fry some chickpeas with chilli powder, cumin seeds, salt and then add 1 cup of basmalti rice and 2 cups of boiling water. Cover and keep on high flame for about 2 mins, then reduce to medium heat for 5 mins, then when most of the water had disappeared from the top just keep it on the lowest heat for about 10-15 mins.
Tastes great mixed with Tandoori Chicken and some Raita as well :)

You can also try ChickPea and Spinach curry or Beef, ChickPea and Leek Stew which are lovely!

I also use them in curry or you could make Falafels.

I'm not too sure if they have syns if roasted, I'd check that out with your C.

fry them in a little fry light and salt and pepper over a moderate heat for about 10 -15 mins - until they go hard & crispy on the outsides. delicious hot 'nuts'. YUM! I prefer this to roasting as they go more crispy on the outside and soft inside rather than all the way through.
xx

are they free if you do that though?

I throw them in with a tin of baked beans and some curry powder (whatever you prefer or have in cupboard) and have them on dry toast or with rice or whatever. It is a very quick curry and is lovely.

I think the roasting them as a snack comes under the misuse of free food rule.

But I think as long as you are having them as part of a filling meal then they should be free like that. However if you are making them like that regularly as a snack it may affect your weight loss.

They only really become syns if you blend them down as a substitute for flour in a cake or bread recipe.

i have chick peas with quorn curry, any spice onions tin toms curry powder, i add butter beans as well, yummy,and wholemeal rice, free on green

Back