Idiots in the Gym and general weirdness

The purpose of this thread is to share any weird experiences you have had in the Gym.
Maybe you encountered some idiots on machines, people slacking, the showers being really open, maybe the lockers do not have their own locks and you have to bring your own?

I'll start with my weird experiences.

My current Gym does not have locks on the lockers so I realised that I had to buy a combination padlock so I could safely store my belongings.

Yesterday, I went to the gym and two women were sat on the mats used for stretching out laughing at me because I was sweating during my Cardio circuit and stuffing their faces with chocolates! Normally, I have my iPod and wouldn't have even heard the raucous laughter over my music however I forgot my iPod and my earphones so I had to put up with the music channels they have on the TV's in the Gym.
When I realised that I was being laughed at, I felt really self-conscious despite having the attitude of "if you aren't out of breath doing Cardio, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough." and "If you don't sweat working out, you're not working out properly" I was really fighting the urge to cry and run away so I went to one of the machines which I max the stack out on and find a little too easy. The smile rapidly disappeared from their faces but I still felt terrible so I went to the lower level and did some dips and some chin-ups. Whenever I do those, I normally walk around like I own the place, LOL!

Good on you getting your head down and showing them what you go to the gym for

there's a few things that drive me mad when am wanting to get on something and someone is just sat having a look about or sat on there mobile phons why pay member ship another one I think someone has already said about girls coming with a face full of make up false eye lashes ect I know I love my make up but I wouldn't wanna waste it just to sweat of

Best one for me was a fully made up girl, walking on the treadmill while chatting on her phone AND eating a boost bar. Actually made me laugh and still puts a smile on my face

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

Best one for me was a fully made up girl, walking on the treadmill while chatting on her phone AND eating a boost bar. Actually made me laugh and still puts a smile on my face 

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

I think that's all of the bad things summed up in one person's selfish actions :p

What's with people using resistance machines, sweating themselves stupid then not even wiping the machines down?

It's what every girl wants, second-hand sweat rash!
*shudders*

Our gym doesnt allow mobiles in the gym itself thank goodness!

The only time I wear make up to the gym is for my Body Pump class at 5.30 on a Monday. I get home from work at about 4.50 so its a quick change then straight out - so I still have the remains of my work make up on. By the end of the class I look like a panda though!

Going after work with hair and make up done and going into classes is different to walking into the gym with hair and make up done and then walking on a treadmill at 2 mph, talking on your mobile or with someone, for a total of 10 minutes, and then leaving. It's be a heck of a lot cheaper to walk round the block! I remember being on the treadmills (there's about 6 in a circle faving each other essentially, but around a pillar) and three of us were panting, red faced, and dripping working our butts off, and these two girls cam and got on two spare bikes, and casually faffed with their hair, making sure it was in place, straightening their skin tight, flat tummy showing tops, and then cycled for no more than 10 minutes... the look on the woman's face next to me was hilarious. I think if she could have said something without being out of breath she would have lol.
I think some of them are looking to 'pull' when they go in like that, but in all honesty, some of the guys who go to that gym aren't interested because they aren't a set of weights lmao.
I tend to walk into the gym with make up on, hair nice and shiny, but I will admit I take my make up off when I'm getting changed (the gym is closer to work than home so I get changed there lol) but by the end of it, like I'm sure the rest of you fellow people do, come out looking all sewaty and red faced, but I'm darn proud of what I've achieved when I'm leaving :) even if I do resemble a lobster ;) lol

This is why I stopped going to the gym!

My pet hate is the men who stand by the weights and chat about weights, without actually lifting said weights more than once. I once watched from the crosstrainer as 2 blokes chatted about how they were going to get beer after all their hard work! Didn't lift the bloomin things once!

I'm at one of the chain gyms, and it's the one local to home that I don't like going to, so I go to the one closest to work on weekdays and that's not full of those kinds of people. It's a really nice gym to go to. It's also twice the size so you don't bump into those annoying chatty people at the free-weights lol :)

I love this thread, I always want to tell people about the things that happen at my gym/what I've seen! - I actually saw a woman working out in HEELS last week. Yes! HEELS?!?! They weren't like stiletto's or anything but more like office heels, I'm surprised she wasn't asked to leave to change her footwear, and she could have 100% hurt herself wearing those whilst working out on the machines! I was just like looking at her feet in disbelief lol each to their own though I say! :p

I have seen a woman regularly coming in mid-morning and working out with Spanx under her workout gear.

How is that even possible?

It's about as sensible as the lady who works out in heels at your gym, Lauren (must admit, I laughed when I read it).

Heels don't let you work out efficiently, spans will restrict blood flow to muscles and prevent your muscles and body from moving freely.
What on earth is going through these peoples' heads when they make such questionable decisions?

There is a couple that go to my gym together regularly. ...I don't know what the guy had done but last week the woman spent the whole time they were in there having a go at him. .... He didn't say a word back and just took it all but she was really p'd at him for some reason. ... everyone was looking and trying very hard not to laugh! They were in there for a good hour!

This thread is funny. I go to a gym where I work and to be honest I've not encountered any weirdness. But I have only been going since the start of jan. I'm too worn out to talk to anyone. I just watch the TV screens.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

There is a couple that go to my gym together regularly. ...I don't know what the guy had done but last week the woman spent the whole time they were in there having a go at him. .... He didn't say a word back and just took it all but she was really p'd at him for some reason. ... everyone was looking and trying very hard not to laugh! They were in there for a good hour!

I guess it was added entertainment for everyone else.
Just don't understand why people do that tbh.

Another out of the ordinary thing happened today. A lady was working out in a Hijab today.
I can completely understand why people may do that but the hijab the lady was wearing had many intricate tassels and looked very warm!
Not even sure if she had showered or changed her Hijab but I sometimes walk to the gym and walk home so I have scruffy clothes to get sweaty in and by the time I get home, I feel disgusting and run to the shower or bath!

I don't normally encounter people laughing at me at the gym,overall people are quite supportive because they realise that you are there trying to do something about yoyr weight and usually people are quite encouraging,but I have had the odd exception where people have sniggered and laughed at me and I usually get on with things. I felt very awkward in a Zumba class once because the instructor wanted us to get in to pairs and do dances together and being quite a shy person I was left with nobody to team up with,but for some crazy reason I just started dancing on my own which made people stare at me and give me some odd looks,it broke the ice and I was finally able to join in,not saying this would work in all cases.

My Aunt had a moment in a Zumba class a few months back, she's a larger lady, probably about a size 28, and a group of slim young girls were laughing at her whilst she was dancing, apparently she turned and said, whilst continuing to dance, "You know ladies, you'd burn more calories if you danced whilst you sniggered at me", cue red faces from them and moment of glory for her! She hurt her foot and stopped going, but I hope they don't think they won by putting her off!

My Aunt had a moment in a Zumba class a few months back, she's a larger lady, probably about a size 28, and a group of slim young girls were laughing at her whilst she was dancing, apparently she turned and said, whilst continuing to dance, "You know ladies, you'd burn more calories if you danced whilst you sniggered at me", cue red faces from them and moment of glory for her! She hurt her foot and stopped going, but I hope they don't think they won by putting her off!

Well done to her ☺

Some idiot in the gym just practically bullied me off of a machine I was using I can't believe it! What's wrong with people? I told him I would finish my reps and then he could have the machine! How rude! And then he came over to a machine next to me and tried the same with another kid who was half the size of him I am so angry I can't stand people that think they own the gym :( rant over! Haha

I hate this, there are girls in my gym that come in looking perfect, go on each cardio machine for 2 minutes on no resistance them leave after about 10 minutes looking smug!

My pet hate in the gym is when girls come in in 2's and will only use machines if they can get next to each other and glare at you if you are in the way!

Oh my God THIS! I'll be dripping in sweat on an exercise bike with the resistance shoved up high, and there's girls next to me pedalling leisurely and chatting about how they're going to get 'ssoooooooo drunk' this weekend. Prrft. And then I get the weird looks because I'm wearing my kit for roller derby... although it does have a hand with the victory sign on it ;)

Wow. You've all just made me realize I def made the right decision by getting my own crosstrainer. The hardest thing for me before my workout is pulling it out and deciding what to watch on my laptop ;)
And noone's there to laugh at me when i get nasty and sweaty. I then jump straight in the shower. (My own shower) so again no worries there ;)
My biggest fear is my hubby coming in (as I don't like him seeing me work out) but I always time it so he wont haha

I don't mind working out in the Gym, idk if I would ever have a house big enough for all of the machines I use as I use 4 just for my cardio, don't get me started on the resistance machines and all of the free weights I use! :8855:

Back