IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

Please click away if you're feeling fragile as I'll type exactly what happened on Sunday here...

Up as planned at 5am, two hour drive, and we arrived at the beautiful B&B as planned at 8am. It was great to see our friends again, and their little dog seemed to remember me and growled just as she always does (she must sense my preference for cats!!). We were seated in our own room for breakfast, and the table was already adorned with fresh croissants, bread, homemade jams, freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, bowl of fruit, and bowl of fresh fruit salad. Hot pancakes were also provided. We didn't leave a scrap. It was lush!

After waving our friends off on their way to London, instead of visiting the area as planned, given the drizzle, we prepared to turn back and drive the 2 hours back to the house. We stopped off at a car boot sale on the way home (and bought and ate 6 macaroons each). booooo!

Home at lunchtime, neither of us was hungry (what a surprise!), so OH suggested a siesta then late lunch. I opted for early salad dinner, rather, but then ceded and accepted four squares of chocolate before bed. OK it could have been worse, but... old habits certainly die hard!

Here is the place should you ever be near Auxerre / Avallon in Burgundy...
Bienvenue, welcome, à la cimentelle en Bourgogne, accueil en chambre hôtes de charme à Avallon

With all of the health challenges being overweight has caused me, I really question her decision to stop dieting. Fat acceptance and all is part of what got me here... Fat club last week was all about trying to change your eating habits from emotional or restrictive eating patterns to instinctive eating patterns. But my instincts are all awry. That's why I'm on a restrictive plan to try and relearn them :)

Absolutely Sander. She does argue that point too as she's had a full MOT recently and, apart from her BMI, all her numbers were fine. Perhaps she's just lucky. I used to weigh 22 stone and smoke like a trooper and never had any health issues either but I think these things might catch up with us later in life (I have had arthrosis for several years, probably due to the years of carrying excess baggage!).

What a luscious day! Have to get some muffins in the oven now: the thought of fresh croissants is making me dizzy :)

Hi Jo, I love your diary! Not just the peek it gives into another lifestyle but all your musings on weight loss.

I am totally with you in the battle to master controlled healthy eating rather than taking the 'easy' option of Dukan for fast weight loss and then... So yes, I absolutely get why you're trying to do it your way: using some Dukan rules and adding your own is so sensible.

(I'm so not slagging Dukan here folks, I do love it and have immense respect for the likes of Sid and Sara who are doing so well on it. I just struggled so much with the later phases, I know I need to find another way that keeps the healthy eating parts of Dukan but doesn't leave me binging on the gala meals)

Jo, your slow, steady weight loss is a good sustainable rate and I'm so impressed with your run of binge free weekends (excluding the fab breakfast I mean...although saying that, you reigned it in well). Right now I would give anything to be able to knock the binges on the head and just crawl slowly to my target and then stay there. I'm watching you to show me the way - your original 11 stone loss is phenomenal and you should be hugely proud that you haven't gone anywhere near that again. What you're battling now is small fry compared to that and you've shown yourself that you can change your eating habits long term.

You talk a lot about ketosis and I'm intrigued. I don't think I was ever actually in ketosis with Dukan, even on attack. Do you know for sure you were? I'm wondering if it was maybe more that your insulin levels are staying low when eating carefully and that's what's keeping hunger at bay. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for all your advice and musings so far Jo, can't wait to keep reading as you nail it once and for all!

A+

Joodle xxx

PS that's an 'a plus'... Just realised it probably looks like I'm dishing out grades or something, ha!

PPS off to France for 3 nights tomorrow, absolutely can't wait. Seeing my sis and nephew and some baguette and much cheese. Mmm, crottins de chèvre....in careful moderation of course. Xx

Where are you going in France Joodles. I hate to say it, particularly as it's my wedding anniversary this weekend and we have a stand at the village car boot sale, the forecast is rain rain and a little more besides. I'm really cross! I worked all summer and now, a week off commencing tomorrow night, and the weather sucks! I didn't want or expect heat, but a week of potential rain will do me in!

Thank you for your lovely comments J... (and for my excellent grade!!)... as for ketosis, as you say, it could well be that or even I have found I've not been overly hungry doing my own thing provided everything is planned out in advance and I know what's coming and when! When it's gone, it's gone! The only thing I can abuse on is fruit so hopefully no neighbour will invite me into her garden to pick plums this weekend ;)

Last night I had a routine appointment at my GP. I see him every six months just for a repeat prescription of my arthrosis medication. He's very thorough, checking weight, BP, blood test results he prescribes for alternate visits, I'm stripped down to undies and examined intently! +3K since he last saw me in March. When he exclaimed in horror (this is the guy who gave me a photocopied diet once of the Mayo diet - he hasn't a clue!), I told him he should have seen me in July with another 5-6K on!) All is fine he had to admit. He asked me if I was greedy. I explained to him my theory that there are in fact two of me and it would depend to which one he addressed his question. He was amused. He was delighted that I'm sticking to my 5-7km walk each morning to work (rain permitting) so had no real advice re the weight except to eat some of EVERYTHING and not keep cutting food groups out which merely adds to their attraction. Yes we know this but...

:)

Easier said than done Dr - hope the weather isn't as poor as you expect for you holiday week..... Glad to hear you are still on track though - in the zone - long may it continue! x

Hope u have a lovely weekend and a happy anniversary! Cx

PS: Your breakfast sounded absolutely gorgeous.. And well done for maintaining your resolve and getting right back on it! I always think of ketosis as my comfort blanket but I really do believe that so much of it is in the mind!!

Yes you're right. A lot of it IS in my mind, I'm sure. Even now, working out my menus in advance on My Fitness Pal for my return on Mon 22nd, my brain started wondering whether I'd restart Dukan. Ok this is slow and I'm sure I'll gain next week but I'll try to eat more mindfully, realising more readily now that just one overeating incident doesn't mean I've messed everything up and need to then dive headfirst into a barrel of food (oooh what a lovely image! something else for me to dream about!).

Despite last Sunday's food (which came out to almost 2,900 calories incidentally), I've lost 300g this week despite being somewhat less strict (having let fruit creep in each day and not just the one portion either. Something else to look at...

The forecast for our village Sunday is now very dark and grey... with rare showers. This is an improvement and raises my spirits somewhat...

See you all in 10 days or so. Hang in there
x
Had the weather been as last year, I might have been tempted (mind you, at 3K heavier, I'd not be able to zip it up!)... don't you think the bumbag really sets off the outfit? and it's a shame you can't see my white reeboks!
I think the VG picture has been shrunk, hence it's not very big... I started looking at my wedding pictures, and awh! now I'm more cheerful again. And just look at two of my cats squashed in the smallest boxes they could find!

Attachments

• Jo vide grenier.jpg
    Jo vide grenier.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2935.JPG
    IMG_2935.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0173.jpg
    DSCF0173.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Happy Anniversary xxx

Happy anniversary Jo and again you look beautiful xxx have a fabulous holiday xxx

Happy anniversary to you both! x

Beautiful, beautiful! And yes, I think you could start a new trend with the bumbag/glamorous dress combo! ;)

You should do a side by side pic with your before photo and you in your stunning wedding dress. Just to remind yourself how blooming far you've come :)

Fabulous pictures, have a wonderful weekend xx

Hi Jo, how was your anniversary weekend? Fabulous I hope!

I was in Chamonix and we were so lucky with the weather. Cold early morning, super hot days (while in the sun at least) and rain confined to nights. Lovely being up in the mountains, just stunning. I am returning home with half a tomme made with goat's milk and a whole reblochon. But I am confident I can stick to mindful eating and savour small amounts. Oh, and a big bag of chanterelles for a fraction of what they'd have cost in the UK- bliss. Tempting country you've chosen to live in though!!

Jx

:)

Haha, need to come up with a reblochon joke...hmmmm....

Jo, able so see your photos now - you look GORGEOUS!!! Fabulous dress, just fabulous.

Jx

Back