Ikkle87's long ass journey to being 'ikkle'

ikkle87

Silver Member
Along the years I've had numerous usernames on this site, I've also had numerous starts at slimming world. Some successful, some not so successful and some that didn't even get started.

Back in 2010 I joined Slimming World and it clicked, and over the space of around 8 months I lost over 100lb. The way I felt about myself was immense, I started to dress better, wear make up and go out on nights out with my friends. My confidence was booming, I was still a big girl with a way to go on my slimming journey but I was happy and I no longer felt like the fat girl amongst my friends. Then I met a man, and I fell in love, and there my slimming world journey ended.

I was convinced I could go it alone, no longer having to give up an hour of my time to share with Slimming World when I could be sharing it with my partner. Alas doing it alone didn't work, his bad habits became my bad habits, the days of watching what I ate became days of eating while I watched the telly. It was a slippery slope, all in the wrong direction, upwards. I started to gain weight, slowly at first but it became more and more noticeable as time went along and my new found confidence and care for myself began to slip away. Then we found out I was pregnant and we were over the moon, but my wonderful, amazing mother in law passed away and our world was turned upside down and I comfort ate. I kept telling myself I will rejoin when I've had him, I will lose the weight again. He's one now, and whilst I rejoined momentarily the fact we both have poor health since his birth meant I didn't stick at it. We still struggle but I had blood tests last week and they showed I'm prediabetic and then the sirens went off in my head. I've been letting my life put my weight loss journey off but then letting my weight stop me living my life. I deserve more than that and so does my son. I don't want to end up on medication, I hate medication! I hate feeling the way I do, constantly tired, in pain, miserable.

It's time to take a stand, to get back my health, my life and that bit of me that I've lost along the way.

I'm rejoining group on Thursday, I've made a meal plan. I feel ready, I feel prepared, and what better time to start than 2 months before Christmas? It means whilst I may not look like I did after I lost 100lb on Christmas day but I will look better and feel better than I do now.

Last edited:
We get paid on a Tuesday so Tuesdays are food shopping day. Even though I haven't joined group yet I've still made sure I'm prepared and done a slimming world friendly shop. We ended up doing a mahoosive meat shop which should last us a few weeks. We have a gammon joint, a whole chicken, 2 portions of extra lean steak mince, 10 chicken thigh fillets, 10 chicken breast fillets, 2 salmon fillets, 3 basa fillets, 2 packs of bgty sausages and 400g stir fry turkey strips. Hopefully this will just mean we need to buy the fresh stuff and will keep costs down.

Have got a pork loin joint out which I'm going to put in the slow cooker tomorrow and we will have with jacket potato and salad :)

I'm feeling motivated. Roll on Thursday.

So I went back to group tonight as planned and it was lovely to see my old consultant, I felt right back at home. Sadly the scales were not my friend tonight. I weigh a whopping 29stone 1lb. Thats the heaviest I have ever been and I don't like it. :( I've got the doctors again tomorrow to discuss my prediabetes and I'm unsure if I will be placed on medication or not but I'm hoping that the doctor will see my joining slimming world as a positive step.

So, first day tomorrow. I'm all planned just need to get the pork loin steaks out of the freezer x

So this was day 1 of Slimming World, it started with a trip to the doctors where I was put on Metformin and Fluxotine. He wants to see me again in 4 weeks and if I've not lost a suitable amount of weight (in his eyes) then he wants to refer me for weight loss surgery. I don't know how I feel about that. Back when I lost all the weight I had been referred and then I lost weight and wasn't fat enough in the NHS's eyes to qualify for surgery. I've also got my son who I need to look after and can't afford to spend time in hospital or not be able to lift or carry him. I struggle at the moment but I still do my best, just recovering from a gastric bypass would render me incapable for a little while I think.

Anyhow. My friends have come up from Barnstaple today so I decided I am going to use my syns as a weekly amount rather than daily so I could have a bit of a treat/grab and go today and then other days through the week when I will be at home I won't use as many syns.

I've eaten:
B: Apple, turkey sandwich (WM Bread roll HEB + 3 syns)
L: Quorn Burrito 13 syns
S: Seafood sticks, 1/2 a bag of wotsits 2 syns, can of coke 7 syns
T: Glazed pork, slimming world roasties, leek and broccoli cheese (HEA) with onions.
S: Orange, Peach

Total syns: 25
Syns left for week: 80

Wow, what a time you've had. I hope you can get back in it 100% How much weight does the Dr think u should lose in 4 weeks? I think the fact you have lost 100lb without medical intervention is a big deal. You did it once, I'm sure u cando it again.

Good luck xxx

He didn't give me a number hun. He was very pro surgery though so part of me worries no matter what I do it won't be good enough and he will still suggest surgery but I really think I can do this, like you say I did it once I can do it again.

I've dug out some before pics to help motivate me.

http://ikkle87.muzy.com/post/245218263

Top left is when I first started, top right was 6 months later and bottom was after 8 or 9 months. I was so much happier on the bottom pic. I look like the top left again now. x

Today was a good day and I started my tablets.

Breakfast:
1.5 apples (this is because I was eating one and Jacob pinched it so I got another) 1 peach.
Lunch:
BNS soup and 60g WM bread roll (HEB)
Small salad - red onion, cherry tomatoes, lettuce
Tea:
4 x Sainsbury's BGTY Sausages 2 syns
Morrisons Instant Onion Mash 1.5 syns
Cheesy veg - cauli, broccoli, carrots, peas and sweetcorn with low low on (HEA)
Thick onion gravy (with big chunks of onion in) 3 syns

Total syns for day 6.5 plus I drank 2 litres of cordial. x

I was also thinking of mini targets, obviously in my signature I have put my club 10 award but I think given that my weight is/was 407lb I'd quite like my first target to be to lose 8lb and get under 400lb, it feels like a bit of a challenge as that 400lb feels like a big wall x

Well I'm still on track and being 100%, I've also stayed off fizzy pop since that naughty can on Friday!

Today I am all full up have eaten so well.

B:
Apple and Orange
L:
Chicken and Leek risotto
T:
Turkey cooked with enchilada spices (3 syns) and stir-fry, in a WW Pitta (HEB) and a McCain jacket spud (1 syn) with 40g low low cheese (HEA)

Snacks I've had:
Seafood Sticks
Smoked Salmon
Strawberries, grapes, blueberries and blackberries.

May have a yoghurt later.

Total syns 4

I'm going to write todays food diary here quickly as I can't find a pen to fill in my paper one!

B: Melon, grapes, apple, pineapple
L: Tomato pasta salad (4 syns) and prawns.
T: Pork pasta bake - pork stir fry pieces, pasta, tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms and a HEA of cheese.
S: WW pitta (HEB), 3 satsumas, 500ml coke (10.5 syns)

Total syns: 14.5syns

I actually feel a bit like I've blown the diet today, not sure why as I have stuck to it and been 100%, I'm thinking it might be because we were out most of the day so I didn't really have much control.

Food sounds yummy - no reason to think you've blown it at all! xx

First weigh in and I lost 8lbs! First mini target of getting under 400lb done. Next mini target is my stone award which is 6lb away x

Back