I'm a bit aprehensive........

I am thinking of doing the Cambridge diet, but I have a few worries. Are their any negative side effects to doing it? I have heard e few horror stories! Do you have to stick to it religiously? What happens if you have a slip up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, I realise you lose lots of pounds in weight, but how long does it take to see any physical changes? Thanks again! x

The side effects usually only occur in the first couple of days and are nothing to panic about.

I have stuck to CD religiously so can't answer the next question.

With the physical changes it depends how much you have to lose and how the weight is distributed.

I lost 17lbs in the first week and my close friends knew instantly even though I hadn't told anyone I had started CD!

Cambridge rocks and I can highly recommend it to anyone!

Hi Glittergirl, just go for it, it's amazing. the first 4 days I felt a bit tired and just wanted to go to bed at 8pm (I think that was more because I was used to stuffing my face in the evenings and all of a sudden I felt I had nothing to do!) but from day 5 I felt amazing, full of energy and life. the excellent weight loss continually spurrs you on. It wasn't until I got to 1 1/2 stone off when people all of a sudden started to notice, I've been told my face is much slimmer and my boobs are now more in proportion rather than gargantuam! I sometimes walk to work and back and it includes a very steep hill, I always used to struggle going up and thought I was just unfit, it wasn't because I was unfit it was because I was fat, I can now walk up it much quicker than ever before. I also used to feel tired around 10pm each night but now I can stay up late no problem. mentally I'm feeling totally different too, more confident and feeling generally good about myself. I even wear make up to work whereas I never used to bother. I've lost around 2 stone in 6 weeks with another 1 stone roughly to go. I can't wait to get to goal. I've had the odd blip so I haven't stuck to it 100%, more like 99% but it just slows your weightloss up that week if that happens.

Good luck, you wont' regret it

You'll hear lots of horror stories, mostly from people who've never been on a diet in their lives, let alone the Cambridge Diet...

Ignore them. The first week is the worst, but only because you need to get yourself into ketosis--which is a bit of a trauma for the body. You'll feel tired and maybe a bit lightheaded--but it passes, and it certainly didn't stop me from functioning. I seem to remember from your earlier posts that you're a teacher? If you're worried about feeling lousy for a day or two, I suggest that you perhaps start on a Thursday, so that by the time the 'rough' bit hits, it's the weekend and you can just go to bed!

But it may not affect you that badly at all--it depends on what you're eating now. If you gradually decrease the carbohydrates in your diet for a few days before starting Sole Source, it almost certainly wouldn't be such a shock when you start. Don't go on an 'I'll eat everything tonight because I'm starting CD tomorrow' binge beforehand--you'll be asking for trouble, LOL.

I used to teach, so I know how tough it can be to keep going in the classroom--but by week 2 and 3 you'll feel much better--and you'll be a stone down by then anyway--so long as you stick to it!

Like SoonToBeGorgeous, I haven't actually had any lapses, so I can't tell you about how hard it is to get back on the wagon. All I can say is tell yourself you're not going to cheat! From what others have said, it's tough to get started again--and why would you want to put yourself through that first stage again, over and over?

Taking a day off the diet isn't really a realistic option on this diet, so if you think you're going to struggle to stick to it over the next few weeks (Christmas meals, etc.) then you might want to think about how you'll cope with saying 'no'! (and when you want to start...)

But--if you're in the right frame of mind (and I'm not sure if you are, given you're already asking about not sticking to it religiously :D) this diet really works!

I love it--and personally I've found it the easiest diet I've ever done. 2 stones off in six weeks--and probably still time to lose another one before Christmas. Almost everything in my wardrobe is now too big, LOL.

Anyway--gosh, long post!--all the best with your decision!

I did five full days of low-carb before starting Cambridge - and I increased the water intake dramatically.

So when I started CD the only side-effect I had was that by Day 4 I was stone cold frozen and it was July!! Other than that I only got the manky mouth and the death breath, which I have still got!

Go for it, it is so worth it!

Best diet in the world in my eyes.....

You are so right, Mike - there is no other diet which even comes close!

There are a lot of copycats out there, of course!

For the nutrition, the success and the results Cambridge is the best!

Just go for it! I sole sourced for two weeks then when on 790 which I can totally recommend, it suited my lifestyle better.

There is just 1 absolutely massive side effect !!!!

Its cost you a fortune in buying a new wardrobe full of clothes :D:D:D

Thats a fantastic side effect as far as i`m concerned.

I've "cheated" from day 3 by having the odd bit of chicken or cottage cheese so perhaps my weight loss has been slower than it could have been. BUT I lost 14lbs in 4 weeks and although I only lost one last week, its starting to come off again. I didn't have masses to lose so I am thrilled. For me, its worth having the little cheats so that I can stick with it over the long term until the excess has gone. I know others would disagree with this approach on the basis that once you start to cheat it gets out of proportion. That's not happened with me - its horses for courses I think. It certainly is the easiest diet I have ever done, and I have done the lot!
K9
x

I've "cheated" from day 3 by having the odd bit of chicken or cottage cheese so perhaps my weight loss has been slower than it could have been. BUT I lost 14lbs in 4 weeks and although I only lost one last week, its starting to come off again. I didn't have masses to lose so I am thrilled. For me, its worth having the little cheats so that I can stick with it over the long term until the excess has gone. I know others would disagree with this approach on the basis that once you start to cheat it gets out of proportion. That's not happened with me - its horses for courses I think. It certainly is the easiest diet I have ever done, and I have done the lot!
K9
x

Yep, I can see that this would work. After all, if you were doing 790 (which is still a very low calorie diet when all's said and done), you'd have those things for one meal every day anyway. To my mind, that's not exactly cheating--and if you really must eat, then those are the things to eat!

Saying that, I think I'm one of those people who would be on the slippery slope to binge-dom if I started that.

I'm such an all or nothing kind of girl :D

Back