Im new and need some help please!

large_lump

hi all! I joined slimming world on saturday after being a member of ww and was very happy to stumble across this site! although now Im going through a massive panic after reading through some of the threads! obviously I know I cant stuff my face all day but my leader said nothing about 'stopping when you're full'. (I know this seems obvious but i didnt get fat for nothing) and was basically told i could eat as much free food as i like.

Basically I'm a bit petrafied Im going to gain on Saturday so need so advice from some more experienced sw ppl! I'm awful for weighing myself most days.. on ww this was fine as i knew how my weight changed in the week but with the new diet it just looks like im going to gain!

hiya hun , dont panic! =] i know what u mean tho when i first joined i was shocked how much u can eat. obv must stop when full its just common sense really, but as u say obv not so great at that are we? lol =] what plan are u on? i do extra easy and its great. i eat more now than did before! u just have to make sure u have 1/3 superfree on ur plate . u can fill up on them , free food is great but i assume if i sat and ate 30 muller lights i wouldnt loose much lol =] i guess its just knowing when ur full. ps i did ww too for years and i find sw a god send! xxxxxxx

Hi Large_lump,

Welcome to SW and Minimins. You won't regret it.

The truth is somewhere between the two. Free food is free food (ie it's not limited) but if you ate enough to pop (2 full plates at every meal etc etc) I suspect you wouldn't lose weight. HOWEVER, on SW you can eat a lot and still lose weight. I have large meals (really) and although my portion size has naturally reduced since I've been on the plan, I still eat a lot. And I'm still losing.

When I first started, I needed (? felt like I needed more) so I had it. I have seen people who haven't necessarily lost in their first week (the minority rather than the majority) but those who stuck with it, have started to lose and been successful.

I suggest that you post a food diary somewhere - people here are really helpful and will comment on it. But most importantly, eat the food that you like on plan, stick to your 1/3 superfree and drink plenty. Don't restrict yourself - it's almost always not necessary.

Good luck.

Gail x

Hi Large lump (lol...feel a bit rude calling u that!)
Dont Panic!!! You can eat through the day if you really want to, but it would be far better to stick to Superfree foods rather than just Free foods, so try things like raspberries, pineapple, apples, blackberries, raw carrots etc. (page 11 and 12 in your book). Absolutely NO foods are banned on sw, and its ok to snack as long as its on the right types of food xx Please dont get so worried about your wi on Sat, you are certainly not the first 'newbie' to think you are doing something wrong, and it can take a couple of weeks to settle in to the plan and feel confidant that you are doing it right. Good luck xx

thanks for your replys! I think my biggest concern is that im not bulking my meals out enough with superfree foods. but all i snack on in the day is fruit or my healthy extras (eg ive had alpen light bars for my b choice so will have one with breakfast and one mid morning) it sounds silly but cant work out by looking at my meal if ive made up a third or not! silly i know.. probs very easy for everyone else! and also are we supposed to stop when we're full or stop when satisfied? quite a big differnce in my opinion! sorry for all the questions.. really appreciate the help! x

Ideally stop when you're full but I know that I'm not very good (actually I'm rubbish !) at knowing when I'm full. So to start with, I just ate the quantities that I was used to but now I weigh my rice and pasta so that I don't serve too much. Then if I'm still hungry (which I never am !) I would be happy to go back and have more.

1/3 is just a guess - if you're not sure though, add a bit more. You won't harm if your plate is 1/2 rather than 1/3.

Snacking on superfree is good. Mostly that's what I do, but occasionally it just doesn't 'do it' for me so if I need to, I snack on 1/3 superfree and the rest free food. It's not as good as superfree but it's better than going on the biscuit hunt (which is the alternative in those situations !).

Gail x

There are two key phrases that I wish Consultant's would use more;

"Stop when you're full" and "In Moderation". Yes free/superfree foods can be eaten without limits - assuming you're actually hungry and not eating for the sake of eating and apply some common sense. (there's no hiding the fact that) I was HUGE when I started out - and could eat alot and still get very good losses each week - 6 muller lights a day was the norm, not the exception (and frequently more). But over time my losses slowed right down. By cutting my muller light consumption down - I started getting better losses. Yes - it's a free food, but 6 a day, everyday really is (i now realise) too much.

To "Large Lump" - a lot of people get concerned about how much they've eaten through their first week and that they'll "never have lost weight eating so much". Don't. If you've been following the plan, then you are almost certain to have lost weight.

Remember also that the more superfree food the better regardless of which plan you're actually following. But what I would say is not to get too obsessed that you must have that third - some is better then none but obviously try to do so as much as possible and grazing on fruit through the day is obviously going to help too.

Thank you all for the responses. have calmed down this morning and read over my books again and feel alot better about it all. what will be will be! x

large_lump said:
Thank you all for the responses. have calmed down this morning and read over my books again and feel alot better about it all. what will be will be! x

Well done hun...we all have these moments! My wk has been pretty bad wiv meals out etc so I'm not particularly looking forward to wi tomorrow!
I think that was gd advice about trying for about 1/2 plate of super free...easier to visualise. And also about not getting too hung up on it. Glad yr a bit calmer now lol! Good luck xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

There are two key phrases that I wish Consultant's would use more;

"Stop when you're full" and "In Moderation". Yes free/superfree foods can be eaten without limits - assuming you're actually hungry and not eating for the sake of eating and apply some common sense. (there's no hiding the fact that) I was HUGE when I started out - and could eat alot and still get very good losses each week - 6 muller lights a day was the norm, not the exception (and frequently more). But over time my losses slowed right down. By cutting my muller light consumption down - I started getting better losses. Yes - it's a free food, but 6 a day, everyday really is (i now realise) too much.

Great post :)

Back