I'm new too

Hi there, this is my first day on the slimfast diet. For breakfast I had a yoghurt bar, dinner was a smoothie and tonight I ate stir fry vegetables and garlic chicken (I smell lovely now). My aim is to lose a stone by 28 March as I have my taekwondo yellow belt grading and I would like to do well (although I could do with losing 5 stone by then).
Has anyone managed to lose a stone in 4 weeks or am I aiming too high to start with?

Thanks for welcoming me to minimins. Don't really know what I am doing as I have never been on a forum before but I'm sure I will muddle through and it will keep me occupied when the evening munchies are calling - which they do quite often.

Hey Welcome Godilocks,
I think a stone is possible but i find with myself the slower it comes off the harded it goe's back on. In my first week i lost 5ibs but after that it was 1 to 2ib a week but everybody is different and i don't really excercise that much.

Good luck with slimfast, Join in with the March challenge it's really encouraging to read how everyone is doing.
Ugg x

Thanks for your encouragement and advice.

I can see your point of view that the slower it comes off the less likely it is to go back on. Normally I would follow your advice but as I have my taekwondo grading at the end of the month I could really do with shifting at least a stone by then (14lbs less to carry around the dojang).

This is my second day and I have managed to stay on it (yippee) although I think I will give the March challenge a try. How do I do that? Can you help me?

How long have you been doing slimfast and how well are you doing?

Godilocks,

I started sep last year,stopped since xmas but started back again this week. So far i have lost 25 ib and have 13ib to go. In the first month a think i lost around 9ib but everyone is different. Good luck with your target if you need any advice or encouragment i've found there is normally always someone here to help.

Hi Goldilocks,
I'm another newbie and am finding my feet too. I started on Monday. Everyone on here is so nice and really good with giving hints, tips and general encouragement.

I don't have any knowledge base to help you with but I can tell you what I have been told. From what I can tell the first week is usually the biggest loss because you lose water weight as well. If you go on the SlimFast website they have quite a few answers to frequently asked questions. I think they say they recommend a 1-2lb a week loss but I suppose it depends on what you eat, how much you exercise and your starting weight.

I'm doing SlimFast because I had started losing weight (around 3 stone last year), I just completely plateaued and no matter how healthy I ate and how much I exercised it wasn't working. Day 3 today and finding it great so far. Not a scale hopper so no idea if its working. Are you finding it ok?

BL x

Busylizzie

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure how my weight loss is going either but not having a problem sticking to the diet at the moment but then again I only started on Tuesday. Ugg has suggested putting my name on the March challenge so when I weigh myself on Monday I will be putting my weight loss on there. Are you doing the challenge?

Well done with losing 3 stone already I am most impressed and envious. Last year I lost 2 stone but then put it all back on again (nobody's fault but my own). I seemed to get into a rut and couldn't get out.

What has actually made me start this diet is my taekwondo. My children all started and I really enjoyed watching and then practising with them at home. One day the instructor pointed out that there were no parents in the class. I am not a confident person but I volunteered. I dreaded my first lesson not only because I am so unfit but because I am overweight and found it difficult to keep up. I still find it difficult but my fitness is improving and it has given me the incentive to lose weight again.

When I am not at the dojang I usually go to the gym or sometimes swimming or even both if I feel particularly energetic.

I hope that you have taken down your body measurements as this is always helpful. Sometimes you don't lose weight but lose inches instead. When this happens standing on the scales can be disheartening but when you get that tapemeasure out it makes all the difference.

My brother is getting married this year and I don't want to be the fat sister in her trousers and baggy top. I want to wear a nice dress which is just above the knee and no jacket to hide lumps and bumps.

I hope you reach your target. Good luck and I look forward to chatting again.

Hi Goldilocks,
I'm not doing the Challenge really, mainly because everyone made aims and since I'm new I didn't know what to pledge as a loss. I will tell everyone how I do and if there is an April Challenge I'll do that :D

I was starting to put weight back on although I think it is probably muscle mass. I seem to exercise similarly to yourself. I walk (4 miles) to the gym and back. Work out about 1.5-2 hours depending on how focused I am. Go to the gym 5-6 times a week and usually play tennis and swim on alternate days. Tennis depends on the weather and swimming depends on how i feel about the dreaded costume!

I have taken down my measurements as I find that the best way to gauge my loss (apart from the scales). I can't tell with my clothes because they are all baggy.

I know what you mean about not feeling frumpy. All my friends range from a size UK 6 - 10 and I hate even standing next to them. Its amazing how I can be the size of a small elephant but still be invisible to so many people! Very disheartening.

Anyways, the best of luck and let us all know how you got on when you do your weigh in

BL x

Welcome Goldilocks!!!! Sounds like your geeting on good with the slim fast plan! With all your excercise Im sure you wont have any problems losing the weight!

Ive actually stayed the same the last 2 weeks weight wise but might start measuring as well because Im at the weight I usually get to and stick at despite all efforts on other diets and then it ends in giving up...maybe if I start measuring will see results will keep motivated!

I have upped my excercise this week though. Started to walk in a morning and swim twice a week (training for London triathlon as part of a team) and I usually do a legs bums tums class on wednesdays and step class on fridays leaving tuesdays and thursdays to go on the treadmill or bike or cross trainer in the gym for 20 minutes then 100 sit ups and some arm dips and push ups.

Im also going to wedding in summer and want to wear a nice dress for the occasion then the week after the wedding I am off to greece with my UK size 8 (and 6ft the *****!) sister....no one wants to be size 16 - 18 next to someone so gorgeous!

My downfall is drinking alcohol....I spent all of february not drinking and then this week I have already been out twice to catch up with people and it never involves just 1 or 2 drinks it ends with 5 or 6 and the next day thinking what a waste of calories!

Hi Sattsy,
Don't know what you drink when you go out but there are some low calorie options you can have. A gin with slimline tonic or vodka and diet coke are less than 60 calories per drink whereas a glass of wine is over double that. Think most spirits are lower in calories especially when you have a diet mixer.

Or if you can't resist your favourite tipple could you alternate 1 alcoholic drink with one diet drink? I think a can of diet coke has 1 calorie or something ridiculous.

Depending on what kind of night you are having you could have a bit of a boogie on the dance floor and burn some extra calories?

BL x

I usually drink vodka diet coke or vodka soda and fresh lime but occasionally I end up having cider with black current (usually its at this point I really should just go home!) or snakebites (half lager half cider and blackcurrent)

Im quite Ok going out and not drinking but I find Im either drinking or not drinking.....so bad!

Snakebites yummmmm! So nice but so naughty :cry:You should tell your friends to forbid you from buying them. I have to make my friends forbid me from the karaoke (tone deaf as well as two left feet!)

Sattsy

You must be extremely fit doing all that exercise. I am very impressed.

Training for the London Triathalon must give you great incentive and I am sure you push yourself harder training as part of a team. When is the Triathalon?

I don't have much a problem with alcohol as I don't really drink much but depending on what you drink you could have low calorie mixers with either gin, vodka etc as I believe it is the mixer that has the most calories. My downfall is chocolate. I don't eat it very often but when I do crave it there's no stopping me.

Not only do I have a wedding in July but I have must husbands rugby club annual dinner dance in May. I can nearly do the dress up I wore last year which does inspire a bit of confidence - but it is still a size 16 and not the size 10/12 I would love to be. (I think I must have been 6 years old when I was in this size - ha ha).

Oh dear I'm not sure there is a low calorie alternative to chocolate. If you are going to eat it I think you are better with dark chocolate with a high % cocoa.

Slimfast do have chocolate snack bars. I've tried the chocolate caramel bar which was surprisingly nice. Someone on here has recommended the chocolate peanut bars too.

Also Cadburys do something called Highlights Nibbles which are little biscuits half covered in chocolate. Its about 75 calories for a little snack bag.

Maybe if once a day you had a snack which did contain chocolate you wouldn't crave it too much? And there are chocolate shakes too.

Nothing quite like the real thing I'm afraid :cry:

BL x

Back