I'm only losing weight once a month

I'd be so grateful if someone could explain what's going on here

Basically I've lost 11lbs alltogether, some when I started then nothing for a month. Then my weight dropped half a stone in a week. Now for a whole month my weight has stayed the same again until today when I've lost 1lb. I'm pretty sure it's going to continue coming off this week again if the last 2 months are anything to go by.

So basically I've been on the same diet this whole time but the weight is only coming off every 4 weeks. It's also the same week as my period if that makes any difference.

I don't know just wondered if anyone had any idea why this was happening. Everyone else seems to lose weight at an average of 1/3lb a week.

I am sorry but i honestly couldn't say, but i guess everyone is different and this is how your body works.

It must be frustrating if you are going to a weekly weigh in, but keep strong and remember you are still losing weight which is what your goal is - and you are getting there.

Its possible your metabolism has reduced to accommodate for the reduced calories. It might be an idea to try what you can to give it a little boost (exercises etc).

Then again I could be talking out of my arse.

The same thing happened to me for 2 months after i lost the first 14lbs.
First i stayed at 152lbs for 3 weeks then lost the 3lb (149lb) when it was time of the month. I was then stuck at 149lb for 3 weeks and lost about a 1lb when it was TOTM.
I was doing a lot of excercise up until that point but then I stopped, but still kept up eating healthy & anyting 'bad' in moderation. During that time I maintained.
At the end of Novemeber i dropped my calorie intake quite a bit probably 1000-1200 a day but only for 2 weeks and it seemed to have helped because i've lost a further 6 lb from when i was maintaining.

Sorry if I waffled, just thouught i'd let you know that your not alone, i know it's very frustrating. I know that I was wishing for my totm to come quick so I could see how much I lost :eek:.

Oh sorry almost forgot to say i changed my pill around about the time of the second plateau, so if that applies to you, perhaps have a word with your doc about changing?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm not so bothered by it in terms of wanting to see it come off quicker/more evenly. As you say purpleangel I'm still losing weight and the amount I've lost and what I expect to lose this week is what I am aiming for anyway. It's just coming off in an irregular pattern. I posted about it more because I'm quite puzzled as to why more than being desperate to find a solution iyswim. Saying that it can be frustrating weighing myself and finding they have not shifted for weeks. I think I'm going to try and just weigh myself once a month now though, after I think the scales will register any weight loss.

Kingflab I will try and step it up with a bit more exercise as well. It could well be that sometimes our bodies just get used to a routine and need something to kickstart them.

little red , glad to read someone else has experienced this as I haven't read about this happening to anyone before so was completely :confused: by it. I can totally sympathise with the wishing for TOTM. It has arrived and I have lost over 1lb today too. So that's over 2lbs in two days yet nothing for 3 weeks before :rolleyes:

Hey hun, it may well be due to your monthly cycle and water retention - it's normal to retain water as you approach TOTM and I often find that once TOTM strikes, that's when the weightloss shows up in terms of lbs on the scales.

You could probably help things along by drinking more water (if you're not already, between 2-3 litres is recommended if you're on a diet), and maybe try some water retention tablets. Mine work a treat and altho I know how you feel about not worrying about the lbs on the scales as you know it's coming off, I like to see the lbs too and I find the tablets help me see a more accurate result on the scales.

What diet are you doing? x

Hi, I'm not doing any particular diet have just cut out the junk I was eating. Wasn't too bad for this to begin with though. It was more that I would eat the wrong foods too frequently (ie every other day) rather than eating too much of them in one go iyswim.

Have also cut out alot of the calories from what I've been drinking by sticking to tea and squash instead of fizzy drinks, fruit juice etc.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be honest I don't drink enough water but will try to up my intake. I'll also give the water retention tabs a go. Do you use any particular brand?

Hmm well maybe try drinking more water before you try the tablets - they are really an "if all else fails solution" to be honest. I did healthy eating (very much like you by the sound of it) last year and found the losses very slow and irregular, so it may just be down to the way you are dieting (absolutely nothing wrong with it but not as predictable losses as some of the proven commercial diets).

It may not be water retention and could be that you are sort of plateauing and it's the TOTM that's shifting it. If this is the case, it might be worth finding out your BMR and making sure you are actually eating enough calories for your BMR. You can google it or if you run a search on here there is a link somewhere to a great site where you can find out your BMR.

It's quite common not to lose weight regularly or to hit plateaus if you are undereating - and it's surprisingly easy to do without realising!

xxx

Back