I'm sad. SW is not going well at all for me

becksjane

Hello,
I don't seem to be getting anywhere with SW. I have now had 4 weigh ins and it's not going well at all! I don't understand it. I write down everything i eat and i can't see a problem with what i eat! I'm not someone who accidentally cheats because i did WW and lost consistently every week and lost 3 and half stone. I'm wondering if SW is for me :-( But i prefer it to WW so i want it to be!

Day 1 i weighed 11stone 2 and a quarter.

First weekly weigh in: 11 stone 2 and a quarter (fair enough i thought as i could have still be smoothing out from the weeks consumptions of pizza before the diet).

2nd weigh in: 11 stone 3 and a quarter (was depressed about this but carried on anyway)

3rd weigh in : 11 stone 2 and a quarter (great decided i was now on the road to a pound off a week)

Todays weigh in: 11 stone 2 and 3 quarters! :cry:

Aghhhh half a pound on. I could handle that if the other few weeks hadnt been so rubbish. also i'm not the sort of person that gains normally. not even hormonally. on WW i either STS or lost every week.

I'm very confused and sad about it. :sigh:

The only thing that's cheered me up today is that my scales tell you your fat, muscle and water levels and even though i weigh more than the day i started on SW my fat has gone from high to medium. I dont understand this either. Have i gained muscle but lost fat? I'd be surprised because i havn't increased exercise whatsoever.

anyway midweek Mon-Fri here's my exact food diary (always green days as i'm veggie so its best)

Breakfast - Weetabix with milk (HEX A and HEX B)
snack - 1 alpen light bar (B) and a tangerine
Lunch - either new potatoes boiled egg and salad or a tuppaware of last nights tea such as quorn chilli and rice, or pasta in tomato sauce (free). always a smallish tuppaware tub too.
Snacks - 1 kitkat (5.5 syns), my other alpen light bar (B) and either a banana or a few grapes or another tangerine. (dont like any other fruit!)
Dinner - usually its rice or SW chips with chickpea dahl, quorn curry, quorn chilli, quorn quorn quorn. And dinner is always free!

The above is always the same but some times about 3-4 days a week i have my other HEX A in the form of light babybels.

I don't have any more syns than 5.5 midweek because on a weekend i eat mostly the same sort of stuff but i have a bottle of wine and a meal with about 25 syns in. therefore 50- 60 syns at the weekend and 25 for all mid week.

Can anyone see what the problem is?

I know i should incease exercise but i work 75 hours a week (sat down unfortunately) and i also care for my disabled brother and have an illness so finding the time or energy to exercise is genuinley ruddy hard. I do walk 20mins to the train station every morning at least!

Other than exercise to boost weight loss can anyone see whats going wrong? Or do you think it might still work for me eventually. I dont actually think im eating many more cals than WW so why im not losing 1 pound a week at least is beyond me.

Many Thanks

I can't see much wrong other than perhaps not enough superfree food - ie veg with your dinner but maybe you have all that in your chilli or curry?

I take it you don't go to group? Would it be worth joining for a few weeks to get your head round it or have you done it before?

How much weight do you have to lose?

Hmmmm - i don't really know what to suggest. Are you drinking enough water? I find if i don't that slows the loss. But i have to say (and this isn't going to be helpful at all i'm afraid) that when i do mostly green days my weight loss isn't very good (if any) I find i have to stick to reds as i have better losses.....but thats really no good for you. Have you spoken to your consultant? xx

Hi there. I'm in the exact same position as you with disappointing WIs. I've lost 1lb in six weeks!!! It seems as though there is nothing wrong with my food diary either. But I'm going to stick with it, this week drinking more fluids.

It could be dehydration. And you should try eating more speed and superspeed foods.

Hope this helps and good luck for next WI!

Sorry it's not going well. Your meals are fine from what I can see, maybe just re-check some of the ingredients you're using in the chilli's etc but should be okay. Make sure you aren't going hungry. The plan works if you eat enough but not so well if you limit yourself too much.

Some people can't save up syns and then see a good loss. It's great you're using atleast 5 per day but saving them up just doesn't work for everyone. What day do you weigh? It seems to help if you weigh late in the week after a weekend of syns but as I said it just doesn't work well for some people.

How much weight do you have left to lose? Are you close to a healthy BMI or trying to get too low? The closer you are the harder it will be. Can you go to a group? I think it's important to attend class (I know a lot of people don't but personally find it important) and weigh on their expensive scales as well as getting the latest and best info. More exercise will make you fitter and lose inches but not magically make you lose weight.

I hope things pick up for you so it doesn't get you down. :)

Thanks for answers,
I don't go to group i'm on a debt management plan. I can't really.

I have loads of salad and veg. All my curries/chilli's etc have onions, mushrooms and peppers in. And lunches if its a salad day have tomatoes, cucumber, onion, peppers, and lettuce in. admittadly i dont have much of traditional style veg like carrot and broccoli but this has never been a prob before.

i drink quite a lot of water. more than average folk. 3 litres a day. having said that lately i seem to have upped the coke and been drinking less water come to think of it. i shall make a consious effort to ensure im back on with my 3 litres. i dont drink tea or coffee. i either druink water or diet coke. i have at least 4 pints a day even on a bad day of water plus the coke.

i only have 1 stone and a half to lose really. i got down to 10 and a half with WW but just put a stone back on. i got to the 10 and a half with relative ease when sticking to it (want to be 10) so i was hoping to lose the stone again on SW.

thanks

I hate to say this (again being really unhelpful, so sorry) but maybe your body has reached the weight its naturally comfortable at? I don't know how tall you are, but when i was attempting to get down to target (many moons ago) i could get down to 10 stone 4 but then nothing. Didn't matter what i did or didn't do, i couldn't budge another pound! I was still only 'just' within the healthy range for my height (as told by the doctor, but then i don't really hold with all of this 'you must be within a set of weights to be healthy rubbish) So i still should have been able to lose without being too skinny, but it just didn't happen!

I can't not save the syns lol. If i dont' have a bottle of wine on a weekend the hard work midweek isnt worth it lol. I know its immature but i just cant help it! Im not 1 glass a day kind of girl i like to let my hair down once a week. I do understand this can affect loss but not normally to this extent!

I get weighed on fridays so my weekends wine has chance to settle ;-)

Im not trying to get to a low bmi. Im trying to get to 22bmi which i would be if i ever reach just under ten stone.

it is harder for the last stone or so but i've done it before and i'm determined to do it again!

I suppose my body might just like this size lol. How dare it!

It didnt use to! I was really thin (not on purpose) until i got ill. and got quite overweight. Then i got a bit better and lost a fair bit of weight to be in healthy bmi. then i put a stone on again (where i am now) but because i spent so many years really quite slender im sure my body can get back to slim if it wants to!

i think of me and my body as different entities!

I suppose perhaps getting older could have affected how my body wants to behave?

But right now i am most definately over weight and so it will have to behave if i feed it healthy food! otherwise it makes me think that terrible thought that i might as well be eating the pizza and chips and chocolate i woudl far prefer to be consuming!

It may not be a low BMI but i could only just get into a healthy weight range before my weight loss stopped. I tried everything - exercising like a demon, every diet i could think of - nothing shifted.
Have you thought that maybe slimming world may not be the right diet for you right now? If you've managed it before on a different diet and had better losses on weight watchers could you not go back to following that plan instead? I found i lost loads when i did slimfast. xx

I'm going to give it another week or 2 and if it doesn't improve i shall have to go back to WW as it did work. But i loathe the thought of pointing! I was hungry too to be honest. My head doesn't seem to be in a WW place but it's gonna have to be SW doesn't do it for me. I though on SW th weight would come off me because i used to eat soooo much bread and now breads gone from my world! Hey maybe i'm a weirdo who loses weight eating bread!

Could i have 2 slices of toast instead of weetabix as my breakfast and still just use 1 B and 1 A? I guess i could try that lol. Or mix it up a bit and have one or the other alternate days?

You can have 2 slices of wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf as a B choice and I do think variety is a good thing!

Food wise you seem to be doing fine hun.
but as a few othrs have said saving up syns and using alot on one day does not work for everybody.

i think thats maybe where its going wrong for you!

when i started s.w i did that and it did work for a few weeks but now its not so ive had to change it all about.

Looking at your menu, I'm guessing you've been on the quorn boat for sometime. Why not try varying - maybe your body is just used to eating quorn and now you're not limited by WW portions.

Try changing the quorn, try some potatoes, veg, pulses instead of quorn.

As much as I love green day (I could eat SW chips every day haha!) I try to vary it to keep the weight losses coming and to make sure my body doesn't get too used to the same things.

Why not do a challenge for a few weeks.

Week 1 - Water Intake.
Week 2 - Maintain water intake and try something else instead of quorn
Week 3 Maintain water intake and try something else and try different fruits.

It's all step by step. I'm on nightshift at the moment and feel like I'm just not eating much so I've challenged myself to eat 3 fruits each day that I wouldn't normally do - I do tend to drink alot of water anyway :p

If I think of anything else I'll pop back!

(((((HUGS)))))

Keep at it, you might find something and the weight will drop off! (ooh, make the SW quiche too!)

becksjane, I'm like you in that I always need to save syns for a good drink at the weekend. It's a real motivator for me and I'd feel really deprived if I had to give it up. My losses have always been slow, half a pound a week on average, but they have still added up to 3 and a half stone. I've occasionally had a sober weekend but not noticed any dramatic improvement in weight loss. Perhaps if I tried not saving syns for a longer period I might see more of a difference. However, having my drink at the weekend is more important to me than a faster weight loss, so I'm happy.

One thing I find is, even though I really love EE, my best losses are on red. Carbs are just not kind to me and really stick. I still do EE but always do a couple of red days before weigh in and find a boost to my weight loss. I also try to fit in red on other days if I can. Green days just bloat me out.

Perhaps you could try a few red days to see if that helps. There is still a lot you can have on red, you're just restricted with your rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. You can have some as a HEXB or syn them.

I'm getting near to target now and my losses are getting slower. Rather than reduce my syns or change what I eat, I'm exercising more. This seems to be working but I'm going through a bit of a plateau at the moment. I know that I just have to persevere and things will start moving again.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you on SW.

In your post you mention you usually have the same food. Why don't you try mixing it up a bit, have something different to eat, like you suggested having toast for breakfast.

Personally I don't agree with your body reaching it's optimised weight. Before I reached target I was hovering around the 9st mark, yep I looked ok but it's not were I wanted to be & so many people said maybe I'm at my optimum weight. Well I persevered & managed to lose the few extra lbs.

Also I have wine & chocs on a Saturday night & can have anywhere between 30-70 syns. The rest I have during the week, usually on wine but also on quorn or Yeo Valley yoghurts, at the moment the Lemon Curd one is my favourite.

Are you sure all the quorn products you eat are free some are a few syns.

Let us know how you get on ;)

I personally think that you can have red days as a veggie, you just cut out or syn the carbs. Eggs & quorn etc are your protein. I had 2x quorn fillets last night with passata & onion sauce and garlic mushrooms & corgettes. I was stuffed afterward and didn't miss the pasta or rice I was thinking about having. Might be worth cutting down on carbs (not out completely) for a trial week and see if that helps?

Good luck!

thanks everyone.

Im going to drink more water and vary my diet! I too think my body isnt at its optimum weight.

I only eat quorn mince or pieces. I definately eat the free quorn. I know i need to syn quorn if it's in crumbs and what have you.

Maybe i eat too much quorn then. I'm not sure i'd get enough protein if i just ate veg chilli etc with no fake meat in it though. I sometimes use asdas own meat free mince.

Maybe i should cut down on carbs its just tricky as a veggie. i do make sure i dont have the same carbs for lunch and tea.

im eating more rice than ive ever eaten before for evening meals. could rice stop weight loss. I measure just under half a mug of rice for my evening meal. (before its cooked). is that too much?

anyway i feel a bit happier thank you. Im definately going to drink water, vary breakfast, try and vary dinners a bit more so its not all very similar and maybe i'll look into other fruits but i really am not a fan!

thanks (ill let you know what happens next week!)

I only ever do green days and eat alot of quorn and have regular, good losses so I can't see quorn being the problem. I eat alot of rice too but maybe that just works for me.

I'm tending to be in agreement with the ladies who say that maybe its the syn saving for you that is stopping the weightloss. Why don't you try, just for one week to have your 10-15 syns a day and see what happens - it will prove one way or another if that is the problem even if you decide not to continue doing it at least then you will know why the weight is not coming off - or save them for every other weekend, I know if my weightloss stopped I'd be really frustrated but I'd want to try things that I knew would be difficult for me even if just to see where I was going wrong

xx

Back