I'm the Dieter, but my Kid is Freaking Out!

Oinkstop

Last night, my 13-year-old daughter came to me practically in tears. She wants to start eating Carnation Instant Breakfast (a powder you mix with milk as a meal replacement) since I'm not allowed to eat regular food.

I told her that although I don't mind her having the breakfast drink once in a while, she's slim and doesn't need to lose weight. The poor kid nearly broke down in tears because I wasn't allowed to eat real food, and she felt it "wasn't fair."

I assured her that I wasn't hungry, that I was doing this diet of my own free will, and that I didn't feel at all bad about it. I told her I wasn't joining the family at the dinner table because I didn't want to be tempted, and I wasn't at all unhappy, so she shouldn't worry.

Truthfully, I was fibbing just a bit, because I am hungry, and I do feel a bit crummy about having to drink these lousy shakes when everyone else is eating stuff that looks oh-so-yummy.

Anyway, I'm wondering if other CDers have problems with family members freaking out when they start this diet?

No mine hardly notice!!
I don't say much about the diet really, Plus mine are younger, age 1,3, 7, & 11. My eldest daughter is pleased i'm loosing weight, & is positive about it, but there's no way she'd offer to eat a meal-replacement, far to into her food for that!!
I do miss sitting at the table for a family meal tho, i tend to clear up the kitchen while they all sit eating now, which seems like a bad deal!!
Bless your daughter for being so kind, she sounds very sweet! Simone x

I have to say that my kid can be pretty sweet at times, but there are other times when I ask myself how did I end up with such a monster???:character00115:

I think the issue with Cambridge is that my kid seems to have an over-developed sense of fairness. It's good when she's thinking about other people, but of course not-so-good when she's thinking about herself. She's decided we aren't fair because we won't buy her a cell phone. (Well, she's 13 and doesn't go anywhere alone yet, so she doesn't need it!)

Anyway, she really seems upset by the fact that I'm not eating, and I don't understand why this is so triggering for her. It's not her belly that's empty!

My eldest is 9 and hated that fact that I didn't sit to eat with them anymore.. we all eat together at dinner.. I couldn't cope with the temptation or smells for the first while.. it's still hard, but I do join her now. :)
perhaps your daughter will be ok if you eat the porridge?

perhaps your daughter will be ok if you eat the porridge?
I don't think I could stick to the diet if I had to eat that stuff very often. Although the first couple of tastes weren't bad, the third time I ate it, I gagged.

Anybody want vomit for breakfast?:sign0137:

I thought not!

Back