Image Therapy

I didn't miss it, but if you asked her not to mention the amount then she shouldn't and if she did, then I would talk to her again about it.

Like I said, it wasn't completely directed at you, a lot of people say things but never talk to their consultants and everyone is quick to say that the consultant is rubbish and you should move group.

A gain should be mentined IMO but if you don't want the amount mentioning then it shouldn't be.

Okay, first thing... why are people so quick to say " I don't like her" "she's not nice" "change group"????

Sorry for ranting and it's not personally directed at anyone but things like this are said quite often and NO-ONE ever talks to their consultant!!!

I think I was the one that said that - and as meadowbankles said - I only said that as she had already said she had spoken to her consultant and got the response that she did.

£4.95 is a lot of money to pay to go and sit with a bunch of people to be humiliated and and have someone make you cry - and I think that if there is the opportunity to go somewhere else where that doesnt happen, you should take it.

I absolutely agree that the first thing you should do is talk to your consultant, but if you try that and it doesnt work first time, chances are they aren't going to budge.

I didn't miss it, but if you asked her not to mention the amount then she shouldn't and if she did, then I would talk to her again about it.

Like I said, it wasn't completely directed at you, a lot of people say things but never talk to their consultants and everyone is quick to say that the consultant is rubbish and you should move group.

A gain should be mentined IMO but if you don't want the amount mentioning then it shouldn't be.
I didn't take it directed at me hun, and you're making a good point :)

Apparently one of the members has tentatively suggested that it's not ideal but her attitude is that if you want the applause when you've lost you should take it in the same way when you've gained, which I kind of understand when you've eaten the tablecloth and can take it on the chin, so to speak, but not when you're struggling.

Also... tentatively is not the same as directly saying "Please don't mention my gain in figures!"

Also... tentatively is not the same as directly saying "Please don't mention my gain in figures!"
Yes, I know, but I'm not particularly confrontational and the consultant is very forthright. I tend to cry... ridiculous at my age, I know, but that's the way it is.

Oooh Meadowbanks, I'm exactly the same, I cry at everything so your not alone :) the worst for me is when I'm really angry and then that anger turns into huge incomprehensable (Spelling?) sobs that make no sense whatsoever.

I'd be struggling too, are you able to email your C and explain how you feel, that way you can draft it a number of times until it sounds just right.

xx

A lot of people in my group get upset, especially when they have gained for an unexplained reason. It's human nature.
My point was that tentatively doesn't always work hun. The comments people said may have been valid (IMO) if the consultant had been directly asked (by you) not to mention that gain that week. It doesn't have to be confrontational. Maybe even drop her a text explaining that you don't like the gain amount being mentioned.
Does the consultant weigh you or a helper? If it ever happens again, just tell the weigher at the time to ask the consultant not to mention it.

My C never actually mentions gains. When asking the question of the day, if we've had losses then she'll say the amount lost and the total lost but if we've had a gain she just asks us the question. So we know it was a gain for that person, but better than HEARING it and she never says the amount.

The helper who weighs is a friend, so that's fine. Like I said, I don't mind taking gains on the chin and I'm happy to reveal to everybody that I've gained 3lbs on holiday for instance, or because I've had a weekend involving loads of food and booze. I just find it difficult to have it announced when I don't know why and can't offer an explanation. I think I must be sensitive because I've recently joined SW for the first time after being a WW member for years and it's such a different way of doing the meetings. Maybe I just need to get right out of my WW mindset and accept that the SW meetings are run completely differently.

You could ring head office, find out if they are ment to, and if not then they can have a word with her.

yes we are! however it should be done in a way as to not upset the member i.e x has lost xlbs so far, clap, but had a gain of xlb this week. Then attempt to find out whats gone wrong so as to turn it around for the following week.

the only exception to this is if the member has told the consultant to miss them out of image therapy which to answer the original poster stands for Individual Motivation And Group Experience

mummymoo... if the person asked for the amount not to be mentioned, you wouldn't do it though would you?
My C usually mentions one or two but if it's a biggie she won't. However, the person usually says how much it is.

I understand about the tears, I've sat in IT crying feeling a right wally.:eek:

I think if you gain again and you ask her before IT starts not to mention it which she ignores then you know she isn't going to change and you can make a decision about whether she is the right C for you. It may be her policy to read them out but if specifically asked on the night not to she'd be stupid to do it. You're her customer and she might lose you.

In our group normally the C will say something like 'X has a total weight loss of X, a slight gain this week of X amount so can we help with anything?' I've noticed though that she doesn't always mention the gains in number, whether this is her having been asked not to or whether she just forgets I don't know but people don't seem to get upset about it so perhaps she knows who she can mention it to or not.

Jaylou is right that we need to talk to our C's but it isn't always easy and sometimes we don't click with people we want to. All we can do is try and get our point across, if it's then ignored sometimes the only thing to do is look elsewhere but I think they'll always be parts of every group that some people hate. I have a friend who goes to a group where the C is very strict, she'll show her displeasure at gains or less than 100% attendance and effort, for a lot of people that would feel too much like school yet it's a big group. What works for one person is another's nightmare.

The main thing though is that you feel comfortable so do the best for yourself. Too often we just make do so we don't draw attention to ourselves but you're losing weight for you which is a hard thing to do so make it as easy as you can for yourself.:)

I understand about the tears, I've sat in IT crying feeling a right wally.:eek:

I think if you gain again and you ask her before IT starts not to mention it which she ignores then you know she isn't going to change and you can make a decision about whether she is the right C for you. It may be her policy to read them out but if specifically asked on the night not to she'd be stupid to do it. You're her customer and she might lose you.

In our group normally the C will say something like 'X has a total weight loss of X, a slight gain this week of X amount so can we help with anything?' I've noticed though that she doesn't always mention the gains in number, whether this is her having been asked not to or whether she just forgets I don't know but people don't seem to get upset about it so perhaps she knows who she can mention it to or not.

Jaylou is right that we need to talk to our C's but it isn't always easy and sometimes we don't click with people we want to. All we can do is try and get our point across, if it's then ignored sometimes the only thing to do is look elsewhere but I think they'll always be parts of every group that some people hate. I have a friend who goes to a group where the C is very strict, she'll show her displeasure at gains or less than 100% attendance and effort, for a lot of people that would feel too much like school yet it's a big group. What works for one person is another's nightmare.

The main thing though is that you feel comfortable so do the best for yourself. Too often we just make do so we don't draw attention to ourselves but you're losing weight for you which is a hard thing to do so make it as easy as you can for yourself.:)

What she said!!!

I think that's what I meant really - although it might have looked like I advocate jumping ship to a new group at the earliest opportunity.

If you can talk to your consultant, and explain you'd rather she didnt read out your gains - then great - but if she still insists on doing it whether you like it or not, then maybe thats the time to look elsewhere if you can. I would hope she would agree - to not do so I think shows a total lack of empathy - one of the first criteria in becoming a SW consultant I would have thought (surely thats why they only recruit from people who are members).

Of course, this may all be completely irrelevant, as I'm sure you are going to get weeks and weeks of lovely losses from now on!

:)LOL I hope so. I switched from EE to red days and lost 4lb on my first week of that so hopefully that's the way forward now :)
And in my consultant's defense, it was her suggestion :)

My consultants always says "your current weight loss is *** well done" & she'll only mention your gain if you mention if first. She's really encouraging so I let group now what I've gained & they'll give me help & tips. She also says that if you don't want her to speak to you in group (i.e. if you had an awful gain or for some other reason) let her know & she'll skip you. She always commends you for staying for image therapy if you gained. And she never ever reads your weight to the group. She's great :)

yes we are! however it should be done in a way as to not upset the member i.e x has lost xlbs so far, clap, but had a gain of xlb this week. Then attempt to find out whats gone wrong so as to turn it around for the following week.

the only exception to this is if the member has told the consultant to miss them out of image therapy which to answer the original poster stands for Individual Motivation And Group Experience

This is what my C does.

SW seem to put a lot of science into their programme so I wonder what is behind the decision to do IT this way. Personally I dont mind having gains read out but I do wonder if it stops people staying for IT or going to SW at all, for fear of being embarressed?

What I would do is have a quiet word with the C at the end / or beginning / or a quiet minute and just explain that you would prefer not to have any gain numbers announced to the group and that it made you feel really uncomfortable. Any C will surely respect your wishes? I know mine said that if I didn't want her to she wouldn't even say how much I'd lost let alone gained!

Back