Implanon implant.

BrittW

Timelord
Does anyone else have or had the Implanon implant?

I had it put in about a year and a half ago and didn't have any problems in the first year at all! But the past 6 months it has been hell!

In the first year I didn't have any periods, now they won't seem to stop! I've been diagnosed with depression, I'm on citalopram and my mood swings are violent.
I cry at the slightest thing but I'm laughing the next.

I can't hack it anymore. I've booked an appointment to get it removed on the 16th June (The earliest they could fit me in, would you believe??)

Has anyone else had it and had problems? :confused:

Yep - me!!

I had it put in September 2008 and all was fine for about 12 months, then I started having the most unpredictable cycle. On one minute, off the next, on for a bloody fortnight, then off for months. I ended up having it taken out and going back onto the Microgynon pill and I've never been happier. Periods like clockwork that last for exactly 4 days!

thats what scared me about the implant the fact u cant just rip it out wen things start goin wrong lol!! ive had it for 2 months and its ok at mo bit of bleeding here and there bt got some tabs from docs tht stop u bleeding xxx hope time goes fast for u to have it out x

I've had mine since November and to be honest, I love it so far. Although I am well aware that it has the potential to all go wrong. I can't remember the last period I had and as I can't go on the Pill, I don't really have that much choice.

If it is making you feel rubbish, deffo time for a change - althought June 16th, that's crazy!

At least with this you can take it out and get back to normal soonish...the injection is there til it decides to disappear.

Good luck and hope you feel better

xx

If you havent had any problems in the first year, it might not be the implant causing you the problems. Go to your GP, explain what you have said to us, you may need to change your anti-depressant, (although that wouldnt explain the endless periods, but that needs to be mentioned too, if your hormones are all over the place it wont be helping).

Get proper medical advice about it - experience from other members will neither reassure you or be of any practical help.

I had it and got it removed a couple of months ago . when i first had it in I was on a total food replacement diet which messes with your cycle anyway , but I bled continuously for 7 months , they put me on the pill on top of it for a few months which settled it and it was great once I came off the TFR diet ....BUT it totally killed my sex drive , which is why I had it removed !! My hubby had the snip a few months ago so i am on the pill for another few months till his samples come back clear then I can stop pumping nasty hormones into my body forever :D

I think as said above its best to discuss with your docs as so many different pills etc effect everyone in different ways. I am led to believe irregular bleeding is common tho as this is why ive been advised against it by docs.

i had it in for 1 year and i had it taken out yesturday

i was constantly on, they gave me a pill to take with it to see if it would stop the bleeding and it did, but they could only give me 2 packets which is the limit, so i couldnt have any more , which ment i was on all the time
i also had a hazy headache and my migrane was worsend

so they put me on a diff pill, were i take constantly and apparently i shouldnt have a period on these and i dont take a break after each packet, i need to take them back to back .....so we will see :rolleyes:

i had it and have had it removed now as it made my body think it was preggers! haha sounds so random but i really felt pregnant all the time it was so annoying. got a lovely nast scar where they took it out aswell, my oh came with me and watched it taken out and said he saw the instrument go in down to almost the end! ewwwwwww xxx

juicygooseface said:
i had it and have had it removed now as it made my body think it was preggers! haha sounds so random but i really felt pregnant all the time it was so annoying. got a lovely nast scar where they took it out aswell, my oh came with me and watched it taken out and said he saw the instrument go in down to almost the end! ewwwwwww xxx

OMG i thought this only happened to me!! I had 2 positive tests when on the implant - both turned out to be false positives. Scared me & OH to death at the time.

Having said this, i am about to go on the new version of it!

haha! whats the new version hun? i would be too scared to have it done again it looks mank on my arm now! xxx

Can't remember the name, but apparently its much easier to insert & remove, and doesn't suddenly stop working so less chance of it screwing up. Will try it & see. Really want to come of depo injection due to the increased osteoporosis risk when you've used it for a long time. Been on it 14 years, excluding the 2 years implamon

ahh i see, well i hope it works well for you :) xxx

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with mine. I love that I dont have to remember to take tablets or have injections or anything like that but I hate the side effects! For the first 6/7 months I bled pretty much constantly, then every other week for another 6 months, now I'm pretty much normal in that department but I still have horendous mood swings and absolutely no libido (poor OH!) Not to mention how much it makes my arm itch!

I have the same problems with it.
Ok to start with, but now I don't know what to expect with it. It has made me feel preggers too, have brought tests because I was so sure. Evan makes me feel sick and gives me sore boobs sounds funny, but its not!

Everyone is v dif but here's my experience
I had one in to term so 3 years without a single period or problem and am currently one yr into my second again no sign of a period!
Interesting to hear about false positive pregnancies I'll tell my cousin she's had this!
Only time I had bled in four years is after colposcopy examinations etc xx

I had no problems at all for the first two years, then suddenly all went wrong - but they did say there was a problem with it. At least they weren't false negatives! That would be MUCH worse!

kingleds said:
OMG i thought this only happened to me!! I had 2 positive tests when on the implant - both turned out to be false positives. Scared me & OH to death at the time.

Having said this, i am about to go on the new version of it!

Did you get the new one and what is it called?how you getting on with it?x

staceynurse said:
Did you get the new one and what is it called?how you getting on with it?x

The new one is called Nexplanon & I'm finding it's fine so far. Had it over a year. The only side effect I've had is sore boobs for a week once a month. Can cope with that!

I was thinking about coming off the pill and having an implant, but this thread has scared me. My nurse suggested I have a coil but the thought of that scares me even more!!

Back