IMPORTANT! Please read if on a vlcd

Sorry, I didn't mean your post - I meant the other post you were refering to! It's just that as long as I've been posting and reading there is always a few posts along the way that slate VLCDs for the fun of it. It's amazing how many trolls are out there and I guess like many of us on here I'm very protective of VLCDs because LL was my life saver. People don't understand the concept and by saying something negative it always gets a reaction! I just wanted to say that as far as I'm aware that we couldn't do VLCDs or be advised to drink the water unless it was safe to do so!

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

No probs Sarah, i was tired last night and misunderstood! I too am protective of vlcds, but this girl wasn't a troll. She had written other posts on the site.

Hi Bex :D

That's what I do if I start getting any leg cramps as well. Just a dash of salt on top of my soup and it seems to sort it out:) Have to say cramps haven't been a prob so far and I'm on day 7 of SS restart with CD so here's hoping.

As far as water goes, I think we are all different definitely and it can take a while to build up your water intake to a level that gives you a good weight loss, but that you feel well at.

For me, I sit at about 5 litres a day, not including water with packs or teas and coffees. That's just me though and it does take me about a week to build that up gradually and for the loo trips to slow down!!!:eek:

Lacey :)

Hi Lacey!:)

Congrats on getting to day 7, wish i was so successful! Seem to mess it up every weekend!:eek: Glad i'm not the only one who adds salt to the soups, after all, we are told all the time to reduce intake. It deffo seems to help though, eh?;)

Bex xxx

Ah I thought it had been a while since we had the 'water' debate! lol

Can I just point out that the original poster appears to have posted this in the chat bit rather than the company part of the site? That means it's her opinion rather than fact.

Advising people to drink more water is not dangerous advice - it's sensible advice as most of us are seriously dehydrated for much of our lives. The health benefits from drinking more water are well documented.

I can personally drink 7 litres of water a day (I'm 5 foot 7") with no ill effects. If I think I've drunk too much, I stop for a while - it's that simple. Shorter people may not be able to drink as much - taller people may be able to drink more. I have a large frame - it works for me - and it is a fact that if you drink more water on a vlcd, you lose weight more quickly.

Scare tactics have been around for yonks - bad things happen to all sorts of people in all sorts of ways and situations. It's up to us whether we listen to them and let them cloud our own personal judgement.

So Westie - I'm in total agreement with you, hun!

xxxxxxxxxxx

I guess its a matter of horses for courses, those that can take 4 litres plus of water do, those that cant, dont. I have about 3L plus other drinks. Cant seem to get any more down. I guess the original post is worth bearing in mind, if you feel seriously ill on a vlcd, you could possibly be drinking too much water?

Adding to this,
I tried cd 18 years ago ( hadn`t been out too long) and I was told to have 2 Shakes and 1 bar a day. cdc at the time said I was to have 1 pint of water with bar and no extra fluid was needed ???

As you can imagine after 3 days I was quite ill and very nearly dehyrated. I had to immediately stop and gradually build up my fluid and minerals again.

Anyway I decided to try it again 18 years later and started two weeks ago.
I have between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 litres a day now and have been fine.

The point I am trying to make is about being given the correct information. If you do the vlcd properly they can have fantastic results without putting your health at risk.

And my bad experience wasn`t the diet.

The conflicting water advice can be sooo confusing!

I guess when we embark on a VLCD, we're doing so because we're keen to lose our excess weight & many of us want/need to shift it as quickly as possible. Then we read info like 'the more you drink, the more you shrink'. Hence folks down the copious amounts. I can understand that logic & motivation.

Personally, I only usually drink water (about 2/3L) anyway, vlcd or not. When on CD, I can easily down 7 or 8L a day, plus whatever's in the packs.

But, now I'm at a loss as to how much to drink! I've been trying to keep it down to the 4L a day, but struggle to & feel thirsty, so have more.

I physically couldn`t drink anywhere near those amounts but as someone else posted earlier its maybe to do with frame and height, i`m only 5 ft .
I would feel as though I was drowning with all that water lol

I suppose its down to how you feel yourself.
And to have at least the daily recommended amount.

Well have a good day everyone got the school run now.

I guess this could have happened whatever diet she was on. VLCD, SW, WW anything. Her body just couldn't take a lot of water.

I know mine couldn't either.

I think you were right to post this. It's not scare mongering.

Fact: She was a regular poster on the pink site
Fact: She was enjoying the diet
Fact: She drank too much water for her body and was ill.
Fact: Most people can drink this amount with no ill effects.
Fact: We all have to use our common sense and listen to our bodies!

It would be wrong to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that nothing can ever go wrong. It's good to have the facts;)

Nevertheless, the diet wasn't to blame. Cambridge advice of drinking 2.25L still stands as good advice. Most people advice drinking more, and usually that helps, but it's not for everyone

Does anyone know why she decided the diet wasn't for her rather than just reducing the amount of water that she drank? Seems a shame to me!

I've always drank the amount of water I feel comfortable with. Sometimes too little but always topped up with green/peppermint tea. Sometimes I managed more, usually I'd have 2-4 litres + teas and coffees. I try to do that whatever I'm eating now too.

Dizzy x

One important thing to remember about water is to try to space it out throughout the day. You could easily make yourself ill on 4 litres, if you didn't space it out across the day.

In fact, when I was 15 or 16, I did exactly that. My friend and I thought it would be a great idea to see who could drink the most water. I drank 11 pints in about half an hour. I then proceeded to vomit a lot and felt and behaved as if I were drunk for a while before my mate's mum made me go and lie down and recover. I felt rotten for the next couple of days, too.

I speak to a lot of people who try to drink all their water in the morning "so that it's out of the way" but the best way to manage water intake is to space it out throughout the entire day.

I eat "normally" and still drink 3-4 litres of water per day - the human body does need to be well hydrated.

I think Isobel hit the nail on the head!
Obviously if you're 5 foot nothing, then 7 litres of water is going to be worse for you than if you're 5"11 like me!

I also think that people who don't usually drink a lot of water should maybe gradually build up to drinking more, if and when they feel they are ready. I've always drank alot of water, I can sip close on 2 lires just on my daily swim, so for me drinking a little more has had no side effects.

We are all different, I would just say if you start to feel ill, cut down just drink the 2.5 litres (4 pints) of water a day... I don't see how that could cause any problems. The recommended amount of water you should drink a day, even when not on a VLCD is about 2 litres a think.

Interesting though!

I drink 4-6 litres a day and feel fine - before CD (when I was busy piling on weight) I also drank about 3 - just habit I guess and good for the old complexion! Anyway I think the important thing is to space it out - there have been cases of people at raves, haven't there, who died after drinking vast amounts of water really fast? Although it may also have had something to do with the drugs they had taken?
I posted a while ago about something a friend of mine ( a PHd in genetic engineering so he's not daft!) said - he said drinking too much water was dangerous as it disturbed your electrolyte balance - Now I dont know what electrolytes are - do any of you guys? Also, rather unhelpfully, he didnt say what "too much" was !
LL recommends 4 so that must be scientifically proven to be safe (otherwise someone would have sued their asses off by now!) so if you drink that throughout the day it must be ok.

I guess this could have happened whatever diet she was on. VLCD, SW, WW anything. Her body just couldn't take a lot of water.

I know mine couldn't either.

I think you were right to post this. It's not scare mongering.

Fact: She was a regular poster on the pink site
Fact: She was enjoying the diet
Fact: She drank too much water for her body and was ill.
Fact: Most people can drink this amount with no ill effects.
Fact: We all have to use our common sense and listen to our bodies!

It would be wrong to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that nothing can ever go wrong. It's good to have the facts;)

Nevertheless, the diet wasn't to blame. Cambridge advice of drinking 2.25L still stands as good advice. Most people advice drinking more, and usually that helps, but it's not for everyone

Yes, exactly. We are all individuals and although generalisations can apply to most people, there will always be exceptions. I agree that height and even body weight can make a difference in need and tolerance for differing amounts of water. I also agree that sipping throughout the day would seem to be preferable to guzzling large amounts at one sitting.

I was on CD years back, and specific water intake guidelines were never mentioned to me. I went to a small private 'clinic' every week, run by a CDC who saw clients during regular office hours, Monday to Friday.

I cannot remember 'low carb' ever being mentioned to me, either. I do remember 'ketosis' but back then I somehow got the impression that if you ate less than 800 calories per day you went into ketosis, anyway! We were allowed to drink fizzy pop, but in limited amounts, and the total calories per day for three shake packs was 330 calories. In the US the 330 calorie plan is still in operation! I know the US and UK providers are not linked, and sometimes I think this is a shame because in the 'States they have big drums of CD powder, lots of different flavours AND a 'porridge' type mix. I'd love to try it.

Water and Weight Loss

Simply drinking more water - but changing neither diet or exercise - will not cause weight loss.
However - unless the body is well hydrated - possible weight loss will be far from optimal.
Why Drink Water?
  • Burning or oxidation of fat releases waste products. You need enough water to flush these from your body.
  • The liver requires water in order to process fat. If you are dehydrated you will not burn as much fat.
  • If exercising, you deplete your muscles of glycogen (i.e. stored energy). In order to refuel your muscle, the energy (glucose) must be bound to water.
How Much Water is Enough?
There are many opinions on this with many people touting absolute amounts such as 8 glasses a day. This is not particularly helpful as we come in all shapes and sizes, different kind of climates, and different exercise schedules.
However many of us don't drink enough water, and could benefit from increasing water intake.
Two Methods of Calculating Water Intake
Method 1
Aim for 2 or 3 clear urination’s throughout the day. This may sound too explicit, but for a normal healthy adult it is a good benchmark.
Method 2
Take your body weight in pounds, divide by two. This gives you a rough estimate in ounces of how much to drink. If you weigh 140 pounds you can aim for 70 ounces (or 8.75 glasses) per day.
Any exercise will require additional water intake.
Do I Gulp It Down?
Water should be consumed evenly throughout the day. If you gulp down a gallon of water at once - most of it will pass straight to your bladder.
Always keep well hydrated!

I just did method 2 and it said I should be drinking 6pints .... and I know I am losing more on the days i drink more water.

Back