in a bit of a mess! (OT)

kelly22_1

loves minimins
Hello,

Bit of a long story here so i'll try and be brief me and OH were meant to quit smoking when I lost 2stone which I managed to do but he didn't (he did try tho) ? Anyway my plan was to stop at 2 stones for good! I was originally at ww but have decided to give S&S a try as it seems to be taking me forever to lose the weight, well now i'm struggling really to do both at the same time I have a fair bit of willpower but not enough to do ww and stop smoking as i'm feeling stressed now after 13 days smoke free, so i'll have no hope next week when I start s&s. I've always said i'd rather be skinny and smoke than fat and not smoke(cos id be unhappy fat) just dont know what to do......

If you can get through the first few days of S&S it shouldn't be too bad. A lot of the stress of giving up smoking is breaking the habit so try and find something to fill that habit, something to do with your hands. A lot of the stress of regular dieting is picking the right food choices and when you give up smoking a lot of people turn to food as something to do with their hands when they'd rather be smoking. If you decide to do S&S then having the packs takes away that choice of what to eat so you can't use that as a substitute for smoking.

These two websites have loads of ideas to help when your trying to quit (and a lot will work for food cravings too).
Quitting Smoking: Help for Cravings and Tough Situations
101 Things to Do Instead of Smoking

Thanks cherry x

Hi Kelly I'm not sure if it would be of any help but i used well still do use the electronic cigs. Over the last 2 years I've lost 9.5stone through various diets sns being one of them. I stopped drinking too and then last August decided it was time to quit smoking. I think there's a few threads about them in the stop smoking bit of the forum. Good luck :) xx

Giving up smoking and doing a VLCD is possible - but it IS a little bit harder.

I gave up smoking at the same time as going on a VLCD in 2009. I'm glad I did both at the same time, as eventually when stressed or emotional, I worked out better coping techniques! :) After all a cigarette or a cupcake will NOT solve my problems for me; doing it that way really highlighted how much I used to hide behind those two things!

First 3 months will be tough, I was in a bad mood, headachey, craving smoking like mad. After those 3 months the heavy dependency lifted... You won't be cured of your addiction in 13 days, stay strong. It's doable.

Funnily enough cravings for a smoke don't completely disappear, even 3 years later, I STILL want to smoke (on RARE occasions when I'm very stressed). But I remember it wrong - I have had an odd cigarette since I quit (maybe a total of 5 last year) and regretted it EVERY TIME because I was reminded how awful it is. Smells bad and makes my lungs feel like they're filled with lead. yuck!

I think alot of the stress comes from my 5 kids 1 who goes in and out of hospital alot hes only 10 mths old so its been a struggle, im sticking with it tho smoke free

Back