in the zone

MAYY

As a 57 years young ,5ft 3in 11stone 10lb lady with a BMI 29 i really was in need of losing some weight.

The last couple of months i have been in the zone to lose some weight, and so far i have got to 11stone 3, i did have a blip when i went on my hols to cornwall last week , and went back up to 11stone 7lb but i am back into the low fat eating and i am now back at 11.3

i quite like the rosemary Connelly way of buying food 5% fat per 100grams but i would not say i am completely sticking to her diets i just find that if i dont have all of those fatty things the weight does tend to come off.

but i do buy the mags and find them helpful .

So today so far i have had one of those sachets of porridge that you microwave for 2mins , i added a squeeze of honey and a chopped up plum and used skimmed milk .
plus a cup of tea with dare i say it 1 teaspoon of sugar and skimmed milk.

lunch ......2 slices of wholemeal bread spread with fruit chutney on one slice, and salad cream on the other slice, the salad cream was over 5% per 100gram ,it was 8.8 but it was fairly low fat and i only used about 1 teaspoon , plus i added one slice of thin ham .
then i had one rice cake toffee popcorn flavour, they are only 2.5 fat per 100 g and 42 cals each.
plus a cup of tea with skimmed milk and 1 level teaspoon of sugar.

do you think i need to cut out the sugar in my tea:confused:

I am planning to have skinless chicken breast, cut into slices and cooked with onion slices, i will not be adding any fat to the cooking as i like to add a little water and then put the lid on pan and it kind of steam cooks , after it is cooked i add more water and then add bisto chicken gravy granules .
also i will be having mashed potato , and cabbage .

i was also thinking of having a banana for pudding and making some birds custard with skimmed milk to pour over it , maybe a teaspoon of sugar in the custard .

and would it be to naughty of me to have a glass of wine later on??????

Last edited:
Hi Mayy! Good to see someone nearer to my age here trying to get to grips with the weight loss. Im doing intermittent fasting which is working well for me currently having lost 9kg in about 5 weeks, so Im well pleased with that. Keep us updated with you diet progress and ill pop back to see how you are getting on.

Hi Mayy! Good to see someone nearer to my age here trying to get to grips with the weight loss. Im doing intermittent fasting which is working well for me currently having lost 9kg in about 5 weeks, so Im well pleased with that. Keep us updated with you diet progress and ill pop back to see how you are getting on.

lol not only is it the weight loss ,i am also trying to get to grips with being online, i seem to have put this thread up twice:eek:silly me

i thought if i do a diary it would keep me motivated,to carry on with the low fat way of eating .

when you do intermittent fasting does that mean that you have days when you do not eat?

just saw your name and it made me laugh, because i have a vase of lilies that are on my window sill and i have just opened the door and the smell was just fantastic, and as i was heading towards the computer i was just thinking about the nice smell when i saw your name arum lily:)not sure if my lilies are Arum lilies but i know they are lilies

Last edited:
18-9-13
brekkie........sachet of porridge,honey, banana and skimmed milk
cup of tea, skimmed milk one sugar

snack.. I ryvita with a laughing cow extra light cheese triangle

lunch... 1 slice of wholemeal bread with small tin baked beans
1 yeo valley coconut yoghurt

3 cups of tea skimmed milk and one sugar in each (oh dear)

dinner .... went to Son and DIL for a chilli, DIL said she did not add any fat so i am hoping it was not to fattening, with boiled rice , plus another yeo valley coconut yoghurt

Got home about 10;30 and had a skimmed milk cadbury choc milk drink

i some how think i over did it today

oh just forgot i had half an apple as well

Last edited:
19-9-13

brekkie .1 slice of wholemeal toast, with dare i say it, a desert spoon of whole earth peanut butter,
yes i know peanut butter is really fattening , so i am not sure how fattening that toast will turn out to be

Cup of tea with skimmed milk and 1 sugar

lunch ....yeo valley coconut yoghurt

cup of tea skimmed milk 1 sugar

dinner....jacket potato with large tub of cottage cheese with pineapple

Decided to make the fruit bread pudding in the RC sept mag, but i halved the recipe so that i could not keep going back for more, i made it using 2 small whole fresh peaches and it was delish, and just enough for hubby and myself ,and it was only 2 slices of wholemeal bread ,2 eggs , 200ml skimmed milk, 1 desert spoon of sugar added to the milk and eggs, and 25g of sugar sprinkled on the layers of bread YUM YUM

evening ...glass of red wine
bag of walkers baked crisps

i was looking in the little booklet that i brought from WHS it was about the fat content of most things we buy by rosemary Connelly and i could not find peanut butter and how fattening a desert spoon would be .

does any one know ?

Last edited:
Peanut butter is just over 50% fat, sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Peanut butter, smooth style, with salt

It follows on of course that it is pretty high in calories too, 94 in a level tablespoon. But if you have to have a peanut butter fix then im sure you could fit a spoonful in occasionally. The only time I ever eat peanut butter is when im dieting lol, I just have to have a teaspoon of it straight from the jar! Otherwise I never eat it normally so maybe there is some mineral in it that my body needs and craves when im dieting.

Peanut butter is just over 50% fat, sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Peanut butter, smooth style, with salt

It follows on of course that it is pretty high in calories too, 94 in a level tablespoon. But if you have to have a peanut butter fix then im sure you could fit a spoonful in occasionally. The only time I ever eat peanut butter is when im dieting lol, I just have to have a teaspoon of it straight from the jar! Otherwise I never eat it normally so maybe there is some mineral in it that my body needs and craves when im dieting.

ok thanks for that , it will have to be a little treat every now and again i am thinking .

20-9-13

Brekkie.....sachet of porridge, with skimmed milk,honey and banana .

2 cups tea with skimmed milk and 1 sugar in each one

lunch ... 2 slices of wholemeal bread ,spread with fruit chutney and low fat salad cream , and grated WW cheese

dinner... 2 WW sausages cooked with no fat, sliced onion, green pepper, sliced carrot in low fat gravy.
mashed potato, cabbage .

small pavlova with fresh raspberries, and yeo valley yoghurt with honey.

evening ....1 bag of walkers baked crisps .

oh dear 2 glasses of red wine

21-9-13 brekkie........ sachet of porridge, skimmed milk, honey, banana.

1 cup of tea,skimmed milk and 1 sugar

lunch...... bacon sandwich with brown sauce, the bacon was those little medallions with no fat on , 4 medallions on 2 slices of wholemeal bread , i did use about a tsp of olive oil to fry them in the pan

cup of tea, skimmed milk, 1 sugar

cup of coffee, skimmed milk, 1 sugar, and splash of brandy (oh dear naughty me)

portion of RC fruit bread pudding, made with blueberries and strawberries , I MUST STOP MAKING THIS PUDDING ,:eek: this is the 3rd one in just a few days .

DINNER 1 WW sausage , on 1 slice wholemeal bread.plus fruit chutney.
another portion of RC fruit pudding(oh dear)

i think the bread slices are adding up a bit today, what with the bread pudding and the bacon and sausage samdwiches. :eek:

but at least i am not putting butter on anything , not like i used to do.

glass of red wine

22-9-13

BREKKIE sachet of porridge, honey, and fresh peach.with skimmed milk

cup of tea skimmed milk and 1 sugar

LUNCH ... 1 crust of wholemeal bread spread with low fat thousand island dressing ,and small jar of shipmans crab paste.

1 cadbury freddo choc bar 100cals

DINNER.....chilli made with lean minced beef, with fat drained off, then sliced onions, carrot , peas ,and mushrooms added, the jar of chilli sauce was only 2.5 fat per 100g this made 4 portions so hubby and i eat one portion each and i put the other 2 portions in freezer
1 WW garlic nan bread , and wholemeal brown rice.

1glass of red wine

23-9-13

BREKKIE sachet of porridge skimmed milk, honey, 5 large strawberries

1cup of tea skimmed milk 1 sugar

lunch... 1 slice wholemeal bread
, 1 laughing cow triangle and baked beans
1 coconut yoghurt
1 cup tea skimmed milk 1 sugar

DINNER 2 birds eye potato waffles, 2 scrambled eggs, baked beans

baked a banana and sultana bread from RC BOOKso had a slice of that.

skimmed milk cadbury drinking chocolate drink

24-9-13
BREKKIE porridge honey,skimmed mlik,and 4 strawberries

cup tea skimmed milk and 1 sugar

mid morning ........ slice of RC banana and sultana cake no fat in it

cup of tea ,skimmed milk, 1 sugar

walkers baked crisps

no lunch as such ,
but had another slice of RC BANANA and sultana cake
cup of tea sugar skimmed milk

DINNER ------- the portion of chilli that i put in freezer 2 days ago went down a treat plus wholemeal brown rice

coconut yeo valley yoghurt

cup of tea skimmed milk, 1 sugar

i really have no willpower when it comes to the cakes i make, even if they dont contain fat i still eat to much of them:eek:

but saying that i jumped on scales this morning and i was 11st 2lb so i am glad to say that i have lost another lb :)

Last edited:
25-9-13

BREKKIE 1 slice of toasted seeded bread, spread with marmite and 3% fat phillidelphea

cup tea skimmed milk 1 sugar

mid morning.... lemon yoghurt

lunch.. 2 slices of wholemeal bread spread with really lowfat thousand island dressing, plus a small jar of shipmans crab paste

dinner....bought a large cauliflower and had a craving for cauliflower cheese, so bought a jar of homepride cheese and bacon sauce, it was only 5.5 grams of fat per 100 gram, as the hubby is a real meat eater i decided to cook up some strips of chicken breast with no fat on , and then added the sauce to the chicken breast and then poured it over the cauliflower , and even though i say it myself it was DELISH , and even the hubby was impressed . And the 2 grandsons wolfed it down as well .

i felt like i had loads on my plate but it was not to fattening

evening ..........i went over board i am thinking ,because i eat 3 pks of french fries, they were 84 cal in each pack. (oh dear)i must stop buying those big packs of treats if they are in the house i eat to many of them (no willpower i am thinking)

and 2 small glasses of red wine

I THINK THAT LB I LOST IS SURELY GOING TO GO BACK ON (SILLY ME):(

28-9-13

pleased to say that the scales this morning are still saying 11st 2 lb

so i have not gained any weight .

and i even had a chinese chicken curry with boiled rice last night, as the son and DIL treated me and hubby , AND I WAS NAUGHTY AGAIN BY HAVING 3 GLASSES OF ROSA BLOSSOM HILL WINE

but then again i have been a bit busy the last few days looking after the grandsons ,and have not really eaten much , and what i did eat i made sure it was nothing fattening.
and as the grandchildren are 3 years and 18 months old i have been kept well and truly busy .

anyway.... this morning i had a bowl of shreddies with skimmed milk and a tsp of sugar

and 1cup tea skimmed milk 1 sugar

lunch.... was 2 slices wholemeal bread spread with tomato ketchup and 3 slices of bacon with all sign of fat cut off , and then grilled
1 lemon yoghurt
1 cup of tea,skimmed milk 1 sugar

DINNER ......2slices wholemeal bread spread with tomato kethup, and 3 scrambled eggs

1 cup of tea skimmed milk 1 sugar

Last edited:
3 -10-13 YIPPEE ..... got on scales this morning and i am 11stone , so that is 10lb lost so far

have not been putting down food diary for a few days as seem to be busy here there and everywhere.

but i am still in the zone ,and the fact i am now 11stone is a really buzz for me because that was the first goal to get to 11stone, so now its a case of getting to 10stone 7lb , one step at a time , untill i get to 9st 7lb .

i cannot believe how easy it has been to lose 10lb, when all i have done really is to stick to low fat eating, with no butter, no biscuits or fatty cakes and no full fat cheese or full fat crisps.

i have made RC cakes with no fat , and i am still losing weight.

and to really spur me on , we have booked a 2 week holiday in menorca for June next year so 9st7lb is my goal , this old bird will get in a bikini again:D

brekkie... this morning was a bit strange but i just fancied a crust of wholemeal bread with one half spread with low fat salad cream and a slice of WW low fat cheese.
The other half was spread with jam .
1 cup of tea skimmed milk and 1 sugar. and now i feel that i have had my savoury and sweet .

WOW cant believe i am 11 stone , it was so easy to lose that first 10lb and i have even had little treats every now and again like a little cadbury freddo choc bar at 100cals each.

it just proves to me how much i must have been eating before this diet. i would have eaten a whole big bar of choc before. and bag after bag of walkers crisps

Last edited:
6 - 10-13 brekkie....1 coconut yeo valley yohurt

lunch ... 1 WW wrap filled with salad leaves, red pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes beetroot, 10% fat greek cheese, and a thin slice of sandwich beef, with low fat salad cream

found a recipe in my cake book with no fat ,
it was for a swish -roll, but i made it into a square cake instead.

3 eggs beaten, with 3oz caster sugar, then add 2oz of self raising flour, and 1 oz coco power,

i cooked in a swishroll tin on 200 for 10 mins, then cut in half and sandwiched together with jam

i i was a bit naughty because i had 2 pieces .

1 cup of tea skimmed milk 1 sugar.

DINNER 1 tin of Morrisons chicken curry soup , 1 morrisons mini nan bread.

evening.... glass of red wine

Last edited:
7-10-13
OH DEAR JUST WEIGHTED MYSELF THIS MORNING i am 11st 2 lb

I think it must be the those fat free cakes from yesterday that i had 2 helpings from .

but for some reason this morning i am feeling really hungry, my belly is really rumbling and its really loud, and i feel like i have lost weight because my tummy is feeling quite flat as well, so i cant understand why the scales are saying i have put on 2lb, and its not the time of the month because at 57 that is a thing of the past as i had hysterectomy years ago .

i am thinking it must be all the sugar in that cake from yesterday .

i am thinking i will go and have some scrambled egg on toast with tomato ketchup, i really feel that i need some protein to stop this rumbling, mind you i think it is a good thing that the rumbling is happening, because before doing this diet thing i never allowed myself to feel Hungary because i was eating to much all of the time, so i like to think that the rumbling is the fat being gobbled away LOL

OK ITS LATER ON IN THE DAY and after saying i was going to have some scambled egg i got distracted with this that and the other, and ended up having my porridge with a plum cut up in it with a little honey and made as normal with skimmed milk

and 1 cup of tea skimmed milk 1 sugar

Then took dog for long brisk walk(well as brisk as i could make it) the toes dont seem to bend like they used to do and they are quite painful to walk when they bend, i think it must be arthritis , i have been having trouble for quite a while with this problem and the doc says it is the start of arthritis , i have always been a quick walker and having to slow down goes against the grain ,

LUNCH WW wrap filled with salad leaves, tomatoe, red pepper, cucumber, beetroot, 1 thin sandwich slice of WW cheese, 1 thin slice of sandwich beef ran out of low fat salad cream so used really low fat thousand island dressing.

DINNER cauliflower, and broccoli with homepride cheese and bacon pasta sauce poured over it,( the sauce is only 5.5%fat per 100gram, )
with 1 slice of wholemeal bread(no butter or spread)

1 small pavlova filled with 1 chopped plum, half banana, half an apple , and a vanilla yoghurt poured over

EVENING 1 glass of red wine

3 no fat crackers 2 laughing cow triangles 3%fat

Last edited:
8-10-13

BREKKIEcup of tea skimmed milk, 1 sugar

1 yeo valley strawberry yoghurt

MID MORNING 2 hard boiled large eggs

decided to adapt RC sultana and banana bread recipe

in the recipe she says 6oz of brown sugar , but i have just made the recipe without the sugar, its in the oven right now,

i may of ruined it, but i thought it was worth a try because there are 5 large ripe bananas in it, and 4oz of sultanas, so it has lots of sweetness anyway. so time will tell after the hour of cooking is up

back again.......just got the banana and sultana bread out the oven ,and its ok , i have had a small slice and to be honest i think it tastes better without the sugar, with the sugar i think it was too sweet , but without it is just right.

from now on i will not add the sugar because i dont think i need too, its nice and sweet without it:D

another slice of that fatfree and sugar free banana and sultana bread

1 whole cantaloupe melon

took the dog for a walk, and also did some lifting today because we had 24 rolls of turf delivered , and i lifted them one at a time from the front garden into the back garden , and my arms have had a workout that is for sure, i think they will be aching tomorrow

dinner...... i really think i have over done it again, i had a steak and pepper pie that was on offer in Morrisons, it wasnt a big pie but it was certainly not low fat, i had it with boiled potatoes, fresh carrots and frozen sprouts, with bisto gravy granules,

and then i had another slice of the fat free and sugar free banana and sultana bread

Cup of tea skimmed milk and 1 sugar
and i must admit i am feeling FAT:eek: and i am afraid to step on those scales that is for sure

Last edited:
9-10-13

Stepped on scales and i am 11st 1lb

so not as bad as i thought,

brekkie to day was porridge ,skimmed milk , honey ,and a small apple mixed in

mid morning blueberry yoghurt

lunch .... i was very naughty and i have had 2 big slices of the fat free and sugar free banana and sultana bread.

2 cups tea ,skimmed milk , with 1 sugar in each.

i am feeling really bloated and i am thinking it must be the white flour in the banana bread. because there is no fat and no sugar in it

Back