In your opinion, what "diet" is best for long term weight loss? Im sick of yo yo'ing

Calorie counting - all weight loss is based on a mathematical equation at its core, take less calories in than you burn. Given that every diet has this as a basis, just cut to the chase and count the calories yourself, no earthly point paying some commercial organisation like Slimming World or Weight Watchers to do it for you, lol. I've lost 7.5 stone so far on CC. Good luck. xx

I also agree about calorie counting, and making general lifestyle changes... I feel long term I am able to do better eating food and not using special shakes and bars etc, but thats just me... I chose a diet that I'll be able to do long term and not feel deprived :) All the best :)

I'd say any healthy eating based on routine exercise. It's less about what you put in, and more about what you put out from experience (I eat little, but have kept my weight due to being sedentary - and probably because what I do eat isn't that good, although improving and am losing some weight :)!).

I think anything that's obviously unsustainable/making you unhappy is probably not going to work in the long term.

Experts say it's 60% diet and 40% exercise that helps. RawrGirl yo-yoed for last 14 years and is now the thinnest she ever was as an adult (age 34), and is almost at goal. What worked for RawrGirl was cutting out carbs (around 20-25 grams per day) except for one weekend a month when she goes out to eat one night, orders a pizza the other night, and treats herself to whatever dessert(s) she craved/missed all month long. The hardest thing was not taking every weekend off and binge eating all weekend long.

She also cut her calories down pretty low (about 1100 average -- weekdays around 800, weekends around 1500), but and this is a BIG but, she lifted heavy weights 6x a week (upper one day, lower the next) to keep her metabolism up, and to keep her body burning fat instead of muscle, and she ensured she ate 80 grams a protein a day to further spare muscle loss.

RawrGirl particularly liked this diet because of the intentional lack of cardio. One doesn't want to do cardio on so little calories and RawrGirl hates cardio. She started this diet in September and dropped from a barely squeezing into her size 12's to being a perfect size 6 (the smallest she ever was before that was an 8 despite being on various diets for 14 years!)

But if you don't lift heavy weights 6x a week (or total body workout 3x a week), and eat so little, you will lose a lot of muscle, and never be able to eat normally because the loss of muscle will slow metabolism to a crawl (what experts call "starvation diet"). So don't do it if you can't commit to the weights.

The above diet was a moderation of this study adjusted to eat more on weekends, plus the once-a-month weekend off, which enabled RawrGirl to stay on it longer than 12 weeks and thus do the diet all the way to goal). RawrGirl also took vitamins, and not the one-pill type, but the kind that comes in daily packets with calcium, plus a potassium pill (very important for a very low calorie diet). Also RawrGirl is/was healthy with no health problems, normal blood pressure, etc...so be sure you don't cut calories that low if you have any problems or see your doctor regularly to make sure you don't damage yourself.

RawrGirl has before and after pics on her profile page, plus an album showing her 14 year old jeans not even fitting over her hips back in September to now fitting if you're interested. Her heaviest pics are from back in 2010 (172 lbs.), and she started this diet in September around 155 lbs. The last time she weighed was Nov 21 and the scale said 138.5. RawrGirl gets the scale again this Friday and is hoping for 129, but that may be somewhat unrealistic as she had a long Thanksgiving weekend and then was sick for a week (no workouts).

RawrGirl said:
Experts say it's 60% diet and 40% exercise that helps. RawrGirl yo-yoed for last 14 years and is now the thinnest she ever was as an adult (age 34), and is almost at goal. What worked for RawrGirl was cutting out carbs (around 20-25 grams per day) except for one weekend a month when she goes out to eat one night, orders a pizza the other night, and treats herself to whatever dessert(s) she craved/missed all month long. The hardest thing was not taking every weekend off and binge eating all weekend long.

She also cut her calories down pretty low (about 1100 average -- weekdays around 800, weekends around 1500), but and this is a BIG but, she lifted heavy weights 6x a week (upper one day, lower the next) to keep her metabolism up, and to keep her body burning fat instead of muscle, and she ensured she ate 80 grams a protein a day to further spare muscle loss.

RawrGirl particularly liked this diet because of the intentional lack of cardio. One doesn't want to do cardio on so little calories and RawrGirl hates cardio. She started this diet in September and dropped from a barely squeezing into her size 12's to being a perfect size 6 (the smallest she ever was before that was an 8 despite being on various diets for 14 years!)

But if you don't lift heavy weights 6x a week (or total body workout 3x a week), and eat so little, you will lose a lot of muscle, and never be able to eat normally because the loss of muscle will slow metabolism to a crawl (what experts call "starvation diet"). So don't do it if you can't commit to the weights.

The above diet was a moderation of this study adjusted to eat more on weekends, plus the once-a-month weekend off, which enabled RawrGirl to stay on it longer than 12 weeks and thus do the diet all the way to goal). RawrGirl also took vitamins, and not the one-pill type, but the kind that comes in daily packets with calcium, plus a potassium pill (very important for a very low calorie diet). Also RawrGirl is/was healthy with no health problems, normal blood pressure, etc...so be sure you don't cut calories that low if you have any problems or see your doctor regularly to make sure you don't damage yourself.

RawrGirl has before and after pics on her profile page, plus an album showing her 14 year old jeans not even fitting over her hips back in September to now fitting if you're interested. Her heaviest pics are from back in 2010 (172 lbs.), and she started this diet in September around 155 lbs. The last time she weighed was Nov 21 and the scale said 138.5. RawrGirl gets the scale again this Friday and is hoping for 129, but that may be somewhat unrealistic as she had a long Thanksgiving weekend and then was sick for a week (no workouts).

It's supposed to be more like 80% diet and 20% exercise, I think, but in my case it's 100% diet and 0% exercise, lol. xx

Back