indian curry

Onion Bhaji's

200g/7oz(1 largish size) onion
50g/2oz gram flour (tesco is best place to buy)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp deseeded and chopped fresh green chilli (i used 1 small one)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves (although my chef at work assures me ground is just as good in bhaji's)
1/4 tsp baking powder, salt to season.

Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, season with salt add a few tablespoons of water to form a thick batter coating, mix and leave to rest for 15mins, then mix using fingers to combine thoroughly. Line a baking tray with parchment,spray with fry light, mixture makes 12 bhaji's. Cook for 20 mins on 220/gas 7.

Chicken Jalfrezi

4 chicken breasts
1tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled, finely sliced
1 red and 1 yellow pepper finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tbsp med curry powder
1/2 tsp mild or med chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
can chopped tomatoes (400g)
large handful chopped coriander leaves
salt and black pepper to season

On a medium heat stir fry cumin seeds 1-2mins, add onion, garlic,

peppers and ginger fry for 6-8mins. add curry powder, chilli powder, cumin and coriander, season well fry for 1-2mins. add chicken increase heat to high 4-5mins, stir in tomatoes and fresh coriander, add 100ml water ( i would only add about 50ml), cover and reduce heat to low, cook for about 15mins or until chicken is tender.

hope this helps
user_offline.gif

You don't really need to use gram flour. It's the traditional or 'authentic' way of doing it, but plain flour will work just fine.

I made a simple rogan josh last night by frying some chicken in frylight mixing in some pre brought Rogan Josh seasoning I had (quite a few companies on the internet sell these quite cheaply) with some tinned tomoatoes, fresh garlic, onions, tomatoes and peppers. Tasted nice and filled a hole

Try this one!.........

Chicken Jalfrezi

4 chicken breasts
1tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled, finely sliced
1 red and 1 yellow pepper finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tbsp med curry powder
1/2 tsp mild or med chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
can chopped tomatoes (400g)
large handful chopped coriander leaves
salt and black pepper to season

On a medium heat stir fry cumin seeds 1-2mins, add onion, garlic,

peppers and ginger fry for 6-8mins. add curry powder, chilli powder, cumin and coriander, season well fry for 1-2mins. add chicken increase heat to high 4-5mins, stir in tomatoes and fresh coriander, add 100ml water ( i would only add about 50ml), cover and reduce heat to low, cook for about 15mins or until chicken is tender.

Don't know were it came from though...

It is from SW Curry Feast cookery book and very nice it is too. :)

I would imagine so because my xtra easy cook book has curry recipes and they can be frozen and you can buy frozen bhajis

faye cheshire

Back