Indian Restaurant - help please!

Maximus

Gold Member
Ok, I think I have an idea, but can someone advise/confirm?

3 courses, starter, main+rice dish and dessert is usually ice cream or coffee.

So, will be extra easy and have no other syns throughout the day (all free food & fruit etc.)

Usually I'd have a couple of onion bhaji for starters, but is there a better, or lower syn alternative? - for main I will stick with chicken, maybe Dhansak, Jalfrezi - even a vindaloo - might even go with a Lamb Rogan Josh - these wil probably be the lower syn valued stuff whilst retaining some taste.

Rice would be the mushroom Pilau as not too bad @ approx 2.5 syns - or I could have plain rice of course free if boiled.

I'll forego the naan bread @ approx 25 syns:eek: but may well go with the poppadom with the lime pickle & onion, cucumber dippy things etc.

The coffee I can have black and with sweeteners (avoiding the cream and sugar) - avoiding the ice cream altogether, and drinks will be diet coke as will be driving anyway.

Any ideas on starters other than onion bhajis? - preferably low syn. I'm willing to try anything and there's nothing I wouldn't like if that helps;)

I'd sooner have it prepared in my mind now rather than the usual 45 minutes to make a decision tomorrow.

How do others cope? This is one of the reasons eating out is such a rarity these days:eek:

I assume avoiding the cream and fried dishes, lorma and the like helps?

As I say it will be a flexi-syn day, or to be honest a day off plan, but at the same time still want to maintain some level of control and not just "go for it"

Please advise before tomorrow.

Thanks

Steve

I always have it fully planned out!

Chicken or lamb (somtimes mixed) tikka for starter - My C said its free as it's just spiced meat often grilled/griddled (sp?)

Chicken Rogan Josh (6syns) boiled rice (free) and a side salad! They look at me like they do not get this request often at the place we go...

I skip anything else TBH, just coffee...

When the poperdoms come out i do eat one with the pickles...then always feels let down by myself! ha ha.

Last time i went i had a spiced fish to start with, it was lovely...i checked and it was just grilled...so i counted it as free! It's only 1 meal...i dont think its worth not at least trying to stick to SW when there's a few options!

Good luck! But enjoy!

Thanks Cai;)

It's the first time I have been back in over a year! - it was a restaurant I used all the time, several times a month with my ex, friends, family, work colleagues etc.

I am really looking forward to seeing them again - I don't even think he'll recognise me as I have lost almost 7st since I was last there! - should be a laugh.

Back to the food, I want to have the courses, I want a popadom (or two!!) - I'm planning on a massive hike in the afternoon to get some credit in for said Indian meal you see;)

I also know the restaurant and owner well enough to ask for anything special or done in a certain way. The side salad will be no problem (in fact will get it instead of the usual included Bombay Potatoes).

Thanks for the heads up, it is good to know I was thinking along the right lines. - all subject to the menu as it is sort of fixed, but as I said, I'm sure he'll be a little flexi for me:)

Steve

I love an indian

When I have an indian (which unfortunately isnt as often as I would like) I often have:

popadoms
prawn cocktail

then for the main I go for the chicken tikka as it is the sauce that kills it with the calories

and I have it with the pilau rice and share a nan with someone because I just cant resist it.

you could ask for the curry to have no gee (not sure if ive spelled that right) to avoid some calories? i love indian food mmm chicken tikka masala :D

Oh well, just an update.

After much deliberation, I decided to have a meal off plan!

I walked a distance of approximately 11 mile prior to the meal.

Had 1 poppadom with pickles etc.
shared a garlic nan
onion bhaji starter
prawn madras + mushroom pilau rice
small coffee & cream
after eight mint;)

In fairness washed down with a diet coke!

I had no other syns that day and was extra easy with loads of salad and fruit.

Not exactly SW but hardly rock and roll excess either.

Was it worth it?

:cool: Hell yeah!

Oh and the Indian owner as expected did not at first recognise me - until he started making his face skinny and pointing at my belly (or where it had once been) he was impressed I'd lost in excess of 6.5st - but not so when I advised him it was because I'd not been to see him in over a year lol.

I think that's a NSV if ever there was one lol

Next time I will go with the veggie/low syn option but this was a special occasion lol. THe beauty with Indian cuisine is the flavouring is in the spices so it doesn't havet to have meat.

Back