Info - My Consultant's Seminar Regarding EE 1/3 free!!

pesty

Fighting the bulge
Hi,

Not sure if this will interest anyone! My C told us last night that they had a seminar regarding the 1/3 of your plate free, so i thought i'd let you all know.

You must have your 1/3 on the same plate as your meal. ie fruit after or salad on a seperate plate do NOT count.

Your 1/3 allowance cannot be within your meal. ie carrots & mushrooms in Spag Bol do NOT count.

It counts as a snack. ie if you have 1 yog 1 alpen light and some fruit.

The idea is that you can see the 1/3 on your plate and it is 'portion control' in the respect that this bulks out your meal with the healthier things.

I know there will be mixed views on this but just wanted to let you all know what they're telling the C's now.

xxx

This statement has been responded to by slimming world later in this thread, here is a copy - just for reference

reply received from slimming world
Hi Michelle

Many thanks for your email.

I can confirm that there are many inaccuracies in this post and it’s always best to come back to Slimming World for advice/help.

If you’re following the Extra Easy plan fill 1/3 of your plate with Superfree Food and make it your first choice between meals.

We recommend you enjoy one third of a plate of Superfree Food at each meal. If your spaghetti Bolognese doesn’t contain a large portion of superfree veg (peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions etc.) then it wouldn’t contain the 1/3 that’s recommended - so it may be a case of enjoying it with a crispy salad, or some roasted courgettes/peppers etc. It’s about looking at your meals realistically – the 1/3 recommendation is to help with weight loss, so if you’ve found your weight loss has slowed then it may be worth checking whether your meals do actually follow the 1/3 rule.

If there are times where it just doesn’t fit to have 1/3 Superfree, (eg beans on toast) then it won’t do any harm to not have it, however, remembering that superfree food is what really helps weight loss, it makes sense to enjoy this with the majority of your meals.

I hope that helps Michelle.

Best wishes

Slimming World

Last edited:
im useless at EE and the third rule, lol!
I think i would still come out of the course kidding myself LOL! x

its too bloody complicated, I am glad I do mostly green and red! and appraently the speed food does not spped up food but keeps you fuller for longer!

So that being the case you can't have chilli and rice or spaghetti bolognese - without having to fill one third of the plate with vegetables. That's... odd. I'd sooner either cook the veg into the chilli or bolognese and make sure it makes up a third of the recipe, or leave 1/3 of the plate empty. I don't know about anyone else, but chilli and rice is chilli and rice - I don't want a heap of veg with it! :(

I agree, its difficult with some meals! Like an indian dish or whatever. Luckily i really like lettuce with bolonese so im ok there :)

I think i would do the leave your plate free if you can put veges in it, that must work the same if the logic is portion control??

Soups that are completely speed food do count aswell so for a snack you wouldnt have to aff 1/3 if it was made from carrot, cauliflower, etc

x

EE is confusing. My poor little brain can't handle it! :( lol

Shall stick to red/green days. much simpler!

For the 1/3 I've generally been having some salad with a bolognaise or chilli as the salad makes up my 1/3. But correct me if i'm wrong as i'm at work and can't check. Is it not meant to be 1/3 superfree with every meal and not just free?

Think I can understand where this comes from as some people do have problems with their portions, so they may have a veg soup, but then fill their 2nd plate full of proteins and carbs.
I have the veg soup, but I make sure that 1/3 of the plate is empty to make sure I'm not getting too many of the proteins and carbs.

I honestly think they've made a little bit of a boob by adding this to the SW plans...although it does clarify htf EE can work! lol
I think that this must have been a difficult step for SW to make, as I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the 'correct' EE plan now sounds firmly like a *diet* (although I'm not arguing the logic behind it, and am quite sure that it will work brilliantly. I just know I couldn't be ar*ed following it, and will deffo stick to green days!)

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the 'correct' EE plan now sounds firmly like a *diet*

Yep. Essentially it prescribes fresh fruit and vegetables (green ones, mostly) and there's no way out of it. Not much fun if you don't like them, like my poor husband! He's tolerating it for this week (my first week) but I think next week I shall go back to what I know works and what I know I get on with well (red and green) - that way he's not forced into eating so much of the stuff he really doesn't like.

Edited to add: Also, to my mind it's not so much "extra easy" any more, it's becoming more complicated and more rigid than the other two plans.

So, if you mix your third superfree in with your bolognese, chili, stew or whatever, that's wrong. But if you put your third superfree separately on the same plate, that's right. Madness!!!

I think I will just stay as I have been doing. Which is adding 1/3 veg to my recipes.... In my mind it's better than I was doing before. So I have increased my veg intake. I'm not having bigger portions than I would have before so in a round about way I am still getting my 1/3 SF and recduing on everything else.

TBH though I do tend to be more of a meat and two veg kinda girl so it's not often we have something like that... It's not doing ME any harm so I'll stick to it. Interesting to know though :)

I just think it requires a little thinking outside the box- I have certainly noticed that my portions are much more 'normal' now since the 3rd superfree. e.g. tonight I am having bacon hotpot and would have always had a big pile on my plate, but now I make a cauliflower cheese to go with it which takes up more than half of the plate.

With chilli you can make a tomato salsa- chopped tomato, onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice

With curry you can make spiced green beans or okra

With Spag bol some oven roasted tomatoes on the vine

With pasta dishes I make a butternut squash, mushroom and garlic bake

With anything else there is carrot and swede mash, squash chips or just good old steamed broccoli, stir fried cabbage or mange tout and baby corn

If all else fails then there is always salad, but we can all be more adventurous than that.

I really found that when I get used to a diet and go 'autopilot' that my motivation can drop a bit. I love the challenge of having to come up with a 3rd superfree - it has motivated me and I have definately noticed my losses have improved as a result.

Embrace the change, I say! Or just stick to what you always did, but don't expect to get anything other than you always got as a result

xxx

So when will the BodyOptimise site and the magazine 'catch up' with this thinking, I wonder?

I think I'll go on following the BodyOptimise stuff for now...

Pppfffffftttttttttttttt is all I can say. Not being able to mix the veg in and count it as 1/3 is bonkers. I'm going off EE!!

i am really confused I looked up the free trial menu on sw site and their super free food is included in the recipes eg spaghetti bolognaise

I just think it requires a little thinking outside the box- I have certainly noticed that my portions are much more 'normal' now since the 3rd superfree. e.g. tonight I am having bacon hotpot and would have always had a big pile on my plate, but now I make a cauliflower cheese to go with it which takes up more than half of the plate.

With chilli you can make a tomato salsa- chopped tomato, onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice

With curry you can make spiced green beans or okra

With Spag bol some oven roasted tomatoes on the vine

With pasta dishes I make a butternut squash, mushroom and garlic bake

With anything else there is carrot and swede mash, squash chips or just good old steamed broccoli, stir fried cabbage or mange tout and baby corn

If all else fails then there is always salad, but we can all be more adventurous than that.

I really found that when I get used to a diet and go 'autopilot' that my motivation can drop a bit. I love the challenge of having to come up with a 3rd superfree - it has motivated me and I have definately noticed my losses have improved as a result.

Embrace the change, I say! Or just stick to what you always did, but don't expect to get anything other than you always got as a result

xxx

Some really good ideas :) Thank you!!

For me, I think it makes sense and I always do lots of superfree anyway.
I still think it's really easy, much easier than red and green and having to decide what to syn and what to have as HEXs. That's why I went off red and green previously. I want red and green together!!
I love EE and won't do anything else.
It works for me and the veggie bit is really easy too. I don't find anything complicated about it at all. But that's just me. Each to their own!

Back