Insecure/low self-esteem

fergyxx

I really need to lose about 2-3 stone to get to a healthy weight for my 5'3" frame.

I know that I need to lose it and know what needs to be done I.e. Lifestyle change- healthier eating/more exercise.

However I struggle with low self-esteem/anxiety issues and am always paranoid/self-conscious of the way being overweight makes me feel.

This can be quite detrimental to my efforts as I am an emotional eater and tend to comfort eat when something is bothering me.

Any advice in how to boost my self-esteem and give me the confidence/determination to stick to a healthier lifestyle?

Thsnks

It is natural to feel this way, I think we all do when weight is an issue. Once you start to lose weight and look better, it will really start to boost your confidence in yourself.

You have to be single minded about it and absolutely determined. You are the one putting food in your mouth, you are responsible for how you feel.

Make yourself a plan that you can work with, dont try to go overboard. Whatever changes you make to your eating have to be permanent changes. I know that may be difficult to take on board but its absolutely true, so you have to come up with a plan you can feel comfortable with.

Hey fergy. Were in the same boat! I'm also 5'3" and currently working on losing 30lbs...try to eat right, don't cut any food out, but eat "bad" things (sugar, sodium, empty stuff etc) as little as ever possible. I don't believe in a certain diet for myself, since I do like to cook and eat and cutting foods out would only result in gaining triple after losing everything lol (at least that is how it works for me)
I'm on my 3rd week of gym, but no loss, a tiny little gain which is only discouraging but I need to keep doing what I'm doing and I'll get where I want to get!!!
Have you tried starting your day with huge (but not unhealthy) breakfast??? I've never been a breakfast person, but I just made myself eat in the morning and I don't feel as hungry throughout the day as I used too...
Anyway...maybe we can keep each other's motivation/self esteem up with update or questions, tips or whatever?!?! Would be great and you're very welcome to send me a private message as well!!! :)

This!

Perhaps enlist some sort of counselling/therapy to get to the root cause of the low self esteem/emotional eating. That is what I've decided to do, as well as joining Slimming World.

Just concentrate on you . The you inside . The one that is invisible is the one that can transform the outer shell . Wake up and be positive, take each day and make it one step closer to your goal. You can do it we all can x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It's really hard, but try focusing only on the good things. I'm actually keeping a journal (sounds sad I know but it's helping) and my focus is the good things about myself and what I achieve. Sometimes I start on the negative things and I have to deliberately pull myself up, but that's part of my process to learn to think positively about myself.

Yes negativity breeds negativity . Be positive and confident and everyone around you seems to be positive about you too x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hello, Fergy. I can definitely relate with your situation. I agree with keeping a journal; in my experience, a journal helps in processing thoughts and forces you to find a reason why you think and feel that way. When you find the reason why you have low self-esteem, you can act on it and make a positive change for yourself. Also, a journal will give you an outlet other than comfort eating.

see a therapist in order for you to feel ok about yourself

then this is what you shall naturally project to others around you thus it rubs off

then you get on with others better too as well as your inner child

I think seeing a therapist should be a personal decision , it's not for everyone . Do what you feel is right as you feel the time is right . Concentrate on the positives about yourself . Nice to talk to you . Anytime ! Xx

Back