Inspirations and reasons for losing weight

I decided I had to do something about my weight when various medical conditions led my doctor to advise me on making out a will:eek:

With a family history of early deaths, many before the age of 45, very high Choles. of over 10, immune system shot away etc etc.

I couldn't have done it this time without Cambridge. It's given me my life back :)

I decided that i needed to do something both for my health and because after years of being overweight I was fed up with it. I had young grandchildren whose other grandparents took them swimming etc and I couldn't (or wouldn't because of my size). I never felt good in anything and always chose clothes purely because they were the only ones i could find that fit. I hated going out with friends or colleagues because I always seemed the biggest there. Basically I didn't like myself or the person I was becoming very much at all. Someone I know at work did the Lighterlife program and I saw her shrinking before my eyes. I have tried numerous diets/programmes and they worked for a while and then seem to stop no matter what I did. I saw this as my one last chance and decided to start LL which I did in May. I have already dropped 3/4 dress sizes and feel great so will carry on.

I'm doing it for myself and my family. I want to prove that I won't be carrying post-baby weight forever (daughter is 1&half) and I will fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes.
My husband says I look great although I am only halfway, it's getting support that keeps me going.

There are many issues connected with my obesity and consequently many reasons for wanting things to change: here is the one that probably tops the list for me.

I have a friend in Yorkshire (where I lived for five years) who also has a serious weight problem. In 2002 I was 3lb heavier than her but over the following years, we have experienced a 'parting of the ways' weight-wise. She has now gained several stones whilst I have lost 8st since then.

She is now rendered almost totally immobile and has to use a mobility scooter to go out. She's had to have a stannah stairlift installed and a special disabled shower as she can't use a bath. Her diabetes is out of control, she's on heart & blood pressure pills and her lower legs are turning a purplish black due to the circulation being affected.

On the other hand, I'm able to walk with a spring in my step, can ride my bike, swim and am going to Uni in September. My life is on the up.

Watching my dear friend deteriorate and suffer in this way made me realise that when it comes to obesity, the body is very forgiving up to a point but once the body has 'had enough', the decline can be rapid and difficult to redress. At the extreme end, it can be a killer and I've decided that, at 44, I'm too young to be brought down in this way - especially when the solution is in my own hands. My youngest is only 10 and I don't want her to have to witness her mum's decline into disability or god forbid, worse.

All the other things; feeling sexier, more confident, higher self-esteem, looking nicer in clothes etc are pure bonuses .... giving myself the chance to be around for many years to come to enjoy all the benefits is the biggest driving force for me. :D

Debbie x

This is all makes very interesting reading, thank you everyone for sharing. Debbie your story really hit a nerve with me, I really felt my body was getting close to that point - my back is always hurting, my asparagus veins ache, my legs were rubbing and I know I was becoming less and less mobile and active.

Anyway, here is my reasons (copied from my LL thread on DH which was copied onto my blog lol):-

*I want to be able to fit into size 14 per una or next clothes.

* I want to go back after the school holidays and be the best part of three stone lighter - I can't wait to see the look on the faces of the other mums who just see me as the "blob". I am definately the fatest mum in both kids classes and that is one of my main motivators.

* I want to live - I know there are no guarantees that I won't get cancer but being this over weight will not be helping. I don't want to spend any more time worrying at night that I am going to get a blood clot in my leg because of inactivity.

* My legs got very chapped during the recent hot spell. I desparately hate that feeling and can't wait until the don't chaff.

* I am sure that I will be taken more seriously as a business woman without the blubber - I know people see the fat when I walk into a room rather than the person inside the fat. It is time that changed.

I also want to add a few more wants:-

* I want to feel I have more energy.

* I want a life.

* I want to feel lighter.

* I want to tone up.

Erm, I think that is it.

Back