Interesting article on Emotional eating

Hiya Joanne! I saw you talking to yourself on the other thread and was tempted to join in, but you were having such a good time, I didn't want to interrupt :D
"dieting and losing the weight isn't the end of the battle"

Exactly. A diet is a way to get down to goal so you can start another battle :D Two different journeys and all that.
As for not eating until one's hungry that would be fine if one could give up work but unfortunately most of us aren't in that favourable position and we eat when we can, day time at least.

Okay, this one was a big one for me. It was one of the biggest reasons for me not wanting to approach this way of eating. I cannot eat at work. If I leave lunch because I'm not hungry, then how will I manage through the rest of the day?

It does seem to work though, but it takes a bit of practice to know when you do have to eat even though not that hungry and how much you will need, along with trusting that you will not die if you do reach hunger point a little earlier than practical.

So, take a typical school day. Wake up, not hungry, go to school anyway. Feel great....amazingly so:eek: (how does that happen, I thought I really needed breakfast:confused:)

Continue until lunchtime. A few things can happen

1. I start feeling peckish about 11:00am. It's only peckish. Great feeling because I have lunch due shortly and I'm going to really enjoy it. Lunchtime comes and I eat lunch:p

2. I get through the morning and I'm not hungry. I feel nuetral. I know I have a busy afternoon and will probably need something before the day is up. I have half my lunch. Remember that doing the eating when hungry thing means you need to be able to control emotional hunger/compulsion to eat first IMO

It keeps me going until dinner time.

3. Lunchtime comes and I don't really have time to sit and enjoy lunch. I leave it. I get through my day. About 4:00pm, I'm really getting hungry. I can't possibly last until dinner. I have a handy emergency box of a few almonds. That keeps me going.

Okay. I can hear people thinking "no way would a few almonds keep me going", but you'd be surprised if you've dealt with all the other eating issues first and really know about your body.

This doesn't mean I only eat when hungry. I think the main idea for me, was learning that I could. Not having to fit everything around my mealtimes. Learning about my real hunger and practising eating for that reason.

If you eat for other reasons, there is a chance that you just might not have sorted it all out. Once you really know what you're doing, you can hear the signals, know what you can and can't do.

Most of all, it gives you confidence. You know that you can go out even if lunch is due. You know that you are unlikely to pick any old junk from the shops 'because you are hungry'. It doesn't work like that. You know that you can wait, and it doesn't hurt, and you don't feel panicked.

It's very liberating.

(Just as I smiled when seeing Karion pop up to discuss what she disagreed with in the original poster's article, I hope she smiles tolerantly when she reads my continual excuses. I'm sure she does. She's a teacher. She must be exceptionally patient and tolerant.)

(Just as I smiled when seeing Karion pop up to discuss what she disagreed with in the original poster's article, I hope she smiles tolerantly when she reads my continual excuses. I'm sure she does. She's a teacher. She must be exceptionally patient and tolerant.)

:D Oh I am, I am
angel3.gif

I actually like it when people disagree with me. Gives me even more excuse to ramble on :D

Oh goody :D

Not necessarily. Not all the time. Some of it is habit surely. Okay, the habit might have formed because of emotional eating in the past.

For instance. When DH goes to work, he always takes a small bar of something to eat in the car on the way. A fun size choc or something. It's not a problem, he eats healthily most of the time, doesn't have a weight problem.

Today I distracted him just as he got in the car. He ate it as we discussed something. Then he said "I've got to get another bar now" :D

I've done things like that. The food accompanies something I do, it's a habit, a ritual. Nothing emotional really going on there, just used to eating during that period.

Like getting up and having brekkie, even though you haven't thought about whether you need one or not. Just having it, because that is what you do. That's not emotional eating really, just ritualistic eating IMO.

Well, you know I have an issue with that one ;) They do work. I preferred the phrase he used earlier. Diets don't work in the long term. Diets are a short term solution to the problem. They don't suggest otherwise.

Admittedly, he is correct in stating that you don't really learn about emotional eating with diets. That's why so many people struggle to lose and end up putting it on again.

I'm completely up for a debate on this Karion!

I agree with you in some ways - there is a difference between eating out of habit, eating because you are hungry and eating as a reaction to an emotion (I’m sure there are more reasons, just can’t think of any at the moment!)

I smoke, and tend to smoke at certain times - not because of stress, but because it is habitual. I almost always spark up when my sister or one of my girlfriends call and I know I'm in for a long chat, but purely habit - not an emotional response.

Personally I don't think this guy is saying that all over eating is emotional, but rather he is identifying what emotional eating is, and that for some people it is a learned response and used as a way of coping.

What I don't agree with is this part:
Emotional hunger is what fuels emotional eating. Unfortunately, you will always have emotional hunger no matter what you do. That's part of being human. However, emotional hunger is not so much the problem as how you deal with it.

I don't believe that every human has emotional hunger. Other people have different ways of dealing with their emotions - not all become hungry or eat because they are stressed/unhappy/bored. Going to the opposite end of the scale, anorexia is closely linked with emotions and learned behaviour.

I think if you can relate to some of the things he is saying, then the chances are you have been known to eat as a reaction to emotional states. My partner (who has never had a problem with his weight) read this and dismissed it completely - he can't relate to it at all. He's never experienced turning to food as a reaction to an emotion (although I pointed out he will eat through boredom), although he's quite capable of slamming doors and stomping about as a reaction to stress, which is something he is aware of and works to keep under control.

I guess this is largely what this article, and future pieces, are going to be about. It has certainly made me reassess why I am overweight and I am trying to develop an awareness about my phantom stomach (I'm sure that is the one that is currently hanging over the top of my jeans).

I didn’t really know where to post it – it is potentially relevant to a lot of people who are trying to lose weight, no matter what plan they are following. I stuck it in Cambridge as that is the diet I am currently following and the board I tend to have most affinity with.

I'm completely up for a debate on this Karion!
Cool :clap:

I agree with you in some ways - there is a difference between eating out of habit, eating because you are hungry and eating as a reaction to an emotion (I’m sure there are more reasons, just can’t think of any at the moment!)
Eating because of your addictive desire is another. I guess that goes along with habit, but it's not quite the same. When you eat out of addictive desire, you have learnt to want food and assume that you will have it now (if not sooner). Your desire goes straight to the action. A normal person will desire and think "hey...fancy that...think I'll have some of that tonight".

I smoke, and tend to smoke at certain times - not because of stress, but because it is habitual. I almost always spark up when my sister or one of my girlfriends call and I know I'm in for a long chat, but purely habit - not an emotional response.
Yes, and that can be the addictive desire too. You set off a chain of reaction. The telephone call to so and so = desire for cig = cig. If you can break that chain and go 'telephone call = desire for cig=desire for cig...okay...just a desire', then you've made one step forward. Same with food.

Personally I don't think this guy is saying that all over eating is emotional, but rather he is identifying what emotional eating is, and that for some people it is a learned response and used as a way of coping.
Agreed, but then it becomes a habit. A few times (maybe more), you learned that food made you feel better, so you continue to turn to food. The fact that it no longer makes you feel better doesn't really come into it. Its what you do and the brain can continue to send those same pleasurable signals as it used to.

Sometimes it doesn't though, and you still feel crap after you've eaten. You keep searching for the food that will give you the signal that all is well. Nothing works, so you continue to eat hoping that the next item will.
I don't believe that every human has emotional hunger. Other people have different ways of dealing with their emotions

I did a post about this a while ago. I was surprised to find out that many 'normal' eaters did in fact eat out of emotional hunger....even boredom. I guess not all, but many still did.

I reckon they eat less though. They knew when to stop, and didn't always turn to food. I think I'm one of those now. I had a distressing morning last Sunday, and turned to the grillpan for toast (which I wouldn't normally do). I had a slice....felt better....put the loaf and butter away. It felt easy. No fighting with myself. I had fulfilled my need with the one slice :clap:

- not all become hungry or eat because they are stressed/unhappy/bored. Going to the opposite end of the scale, anorexia is closely linked with emotions and learned behaviour.
Indeed. Being slim doesn't mean your healthy or that you don't have eating disorders. Even people that just look the right weight (rather than anorexic) can still have eating disorders.
My partner (who has never had a problem with his weight) read this and dismissed it completely - he can't relate to it at all.
My DH would do the same. Okay, he accepts that it means something to me, but it wouldn't mean anything to him.
I am trying to develop an awareness about my phantom stomach (I'm sure that is the one that is currently hanging over the top of my jeans).
:D :D

I didn’t really know where to post it – it is potentially relevant to a lot of people who are trying to lose weight, no matter what plan they are following.
And I'm so glad you did post it....wherever! I talk about this sort of stuff all the time, but usually highjack other peoples threads :D

Then, when they get fed up with me, I have to find someone else. I'm running out of places :D :D

Emotional eating - part one, two and three

Emotional Eating 101 (Part 2 of 4)
by Roger Gould, M.D.
In Part 1 of this series, we discussed emotional eating and hunger and how they compel people to eat. In this article, we are going to explore how emotional eating really is a symptom of food addiction.

Food Addiction
As we all know, dieting is the most common private approach to obesity and it just doesn't work. The last two decades there have been more people dieting and more diet programs yet obesity has increased over 20%. Dieting programs and fads have a 99% relapse rate. Their failures have been proved by many studies. And as we've said, the problem is not so much what you eat, but that you can't control how much you eat. This means that you're addicted to food.

This may sound harsh, but you have all the evidence you need. Do you struggle to control what you eat? Have you been overeating for years? Have you put your health at risk because of your eating habits? Does the idea of giving up food as comfort make you nervous? Have you tried to change your eating habits but failed? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it should be pretty obvious that you are addicted to food.

Many people ask at this point, "Aren't we all addicted to food?" In some sense, yes, everyone is addicted to food. Obviously we need to eat to survive, so in that sense we are always seeking enough to keep us healthy. That's the essential addiction common to all animals. The biological hunger drive is a basic survival mechanism, but that is not what we are talking about here.

When we say food addiction, we mean that you are compelled to overeat for reasons other than survival or health. You are not responding to the biological hunger drive. These other reasons fall in the domain of psychology. You may know some of them already, but you don't know all of them, or all of them well enough yet to break the addiction.

Food addiction comes in all sizes. In fact, you can use your weight as a rough measure. If you are overweight by one hundred pounds or more, that means food is so overly important to your mental equilibrium that you will sacrifice all your health to keep it as a coping mechanism. If you are twenty to fifty pounds overweight, you are probably very dependent on food, but realize that it's not the only way to handle life. If you just can't seem to lose those last 10 pounds, then you are on the other side of the spectrum and probably use food as a reward, but not too often.

But where does it come from? We all eat every day; so why do some of us become addicted and others don't? The potential for food addiction starts innocently at birth. When a mother feeds her baby, the baby stops crying. Babies equate the mother's milk—food-with survival, love, and peace of mind. Even a pacifier, which has no warmth, taste or nutritional value, is close enough to that primal experience to soothe the infant. It's normal to be addicted to your mother's soothing function as an infant, and easy enough to make food the pathway back to that comforting state of mind.
As adults, we all continue to use food as a tranquilizer from time to time. But some people begin to overuse this method of coping and, little by little, it becomes the preferred way of dealing with problems. Using food to cope can get out of control when food is constantly seen as a source of comfort and tranquility. It's okay to eat for sustenance, for the love of food, and even—in moderation—to fend off a blue mood or to give ourselves a reward. But there is a big difference between occasionally using food to fix our moods and compulsively overeating as our primary coping mechanism to deal with the stress and strain of daily life. When someone overeats on a daily basis, it's almost certain that they are addicted to food. The addiction matures slowly over life, but it's not entirely clear why some of people get addicted while others don't.

The worst part about it is that overeating works. It really is a powerful way to temporarily change the whole state of your mind. If you are anxious, eating can rid you of anxiety. It can give you time to regroup. Some people have described how eating puts them into their own bubble, and makes all the worries go away for a while. Others have described a state of feeling insulated and protected instead of vulnerable and raw. When you are addicted, eating has become a way to silence your mind whenever it presents you with ideas or images you'd rather not deal with. In that sense, it does work; it temporarily banishes uncomfortable thoughts and the feelings associated with them. And when you are addicted to this feeling, you have very little control over how much you eat.

If all this is true, and emotional eating is a sign of food addiction, and if you are really addicted to food, does that mean you have no control over what you eat? That's the interesting dilemma. You always have a choice. It is definitely you who lifts the fork to your mouth or buys the cheeseburger when you just finished telling yourself you were going to watch it and lose some weight. You may make the right choice sometime, but when day after day and year after year you make the decision to overeat (which I define simply as eating much more than you need to stay in caloric balance), you will have to admit that you are acting like a person who is compelled to do something that you have consciously decided not to do. There is no way around this unless you tell me that you want to overeat and you don't want to control your weight.

In most cases, however, this compulsion to overeat sets up a very painful process. It makes people feel weak and out of control and actually afraid to commit themselves to another diet because they are certain they will not be able to defeat this adversary.
I have heard the inside story of this struggle for decades from patients I have seen. So often I have heard people describe their relationship with food exactly like an addiction. I'll take you through a few examples to let you get an inside look.

Several years ago, I asked Mary, a 35-year-old married mother of two, what it would be like if she finally succeeded in controlling her weight. She said, "I would be on top of the world. Last year I lost about 65 pounds and I was a totally different person. I could wear really cool clothes instead of the dreaded plus-sized fashions. I didn't hate what I saw in the mirror—it was a stranger looking back at me, but one that I had admired from afar. I was able to get off my blood pressure medication as well. But somehow I knew it was only temporary, because of my lifelong battle with fat. It started with a donut—one donut—and then I would eat three or four at a sitting, especially when my boss was cranky; donuts were my salvation. Now, I hate to buy clothes. I'm back on medication, my knees ache, and I am feeling tired and hopeless again."

Mary had strong motivations to change but her goals were thwarted by her dependence on food as a source of comfort. When I asked Mary to give herself a positive vision of her future to keep her weight loss efforts on track, she was hesitant to even describe what success might feel like. "My fear of failure is like a ghost in my life … chasing me around every day."

We have to look below the surface to understand what's really eroding Mary's confidence. Her personal secret is that she doesn't believe she can actually give up food as her best friend when she is distressed. She's locked in a vicious cycle and she needs help. While she doesn't look like an addict, she is one. Her addiction is legal, socially acceptable—even encouraged—but it's no less destructive than the addictions that have been outlawed or so stigmatized as to become unpopular.

In countless stories similar to this one, I have come to understand the pull of the addiction to food. It didn't surprise me at all to hear one patient say she felt there was a "demon" inside of her tempting her towards food. For many people, their emotional eating habit is so strong they don't believe they can ever break it. Instead, they try to work around it.

For example, Norman was thin when he was younger because he ran four miles each morning, rain or shine, to justify his enormous appetite. Food was the only thing that calmed his anxiety, but he knew he had to compensate for his overeating to stay trim. If he had a fight with his wife, he would stuff himself at dinner, and then just go out and jog another few miles. But after a knee injury, Norman couldn't run anymore. Twenty years later, Norman is 55 and very overweight, and he no longer exercises at all.

Jan's story is similar. Early in her marriage, Jan was bulimic. She would eat two dinners and the better part of a cake every evening. Friends marveled at her ability to stay thin. What they didn't see was what she did when Jan was finished stuffing herself, she would find a private place and force herself to throw up. As soon as she was finished, she promised herself never to do it again, but the next time she found herself binging, she had to purge to make up for it. Jan was fortunate enough to find people who could help her beat bulimia. Millions more are not that lucky. Bulimia is their way of compensating for their primary addiction to food. They can't give up their insatiable need for food, so they control their weight through vomiting, tearing up their insides in the process.

Emotional eaters have become dependent on food to survive the challenges of daily life. There's no other way to explain their behavior or craving. They are addicted to food as much as an alcoholic to alcohol, a smoker to smoking, or an addict to drugs. They don't think they can make it without this handy non-prescription tranquilizer, and they're fearful of trying to do so. In that sense, overeating has become a mental compulsion. It's not that they really want to overeat, but that they are compelled to overeat. This sometimes-useful coping mechanism is transformed into a compulsion because it works so well, but only for a short time. That means that every time they are distressed, they automatically generate an image in their head of which food will make them feel better. These activated images of relief are there to tempt them until they're satisfied. That's how a compulsion works.

Unless an emotional eater finds a new way to make peace with his or her distress warnings, the unconscious compulsion to overeat will win out time and time again. It will win no matter how motivated and disciplined the dieters consider themselves. Even those who succeed in losing weight for a year or more find this strange inner opponent coming back to claim yet another victory after they hit a stressful patch in their life. Until food addiction is broken and the emotional eating pattern under control, weight loss is impossible.

Now that you've read this article and thought about it a little, it's time for you to personally evaluate how it applies to your life. Below are some questions and discussion topics that will be the focus of the discussion for this article.
  1. Try to pinpoint the times when you were tempted to break your diet or overeat. What were the main causes? Were you anxious or angry? How about depressed or stressed? If you do ate during these times, how specifically did it make you feel? Content or safe? Numb or detached? How many distinct patterns can you identify?
  2. Beside emotional eating patterns, what evidence for food addiction can you find in your life? Your weight might be one piece of evidence, but there is probably more if you think about it. Try to think of at least a few things besides your weight that show food addiction plays a major part in your life.
    Hint: In what ways have you acted in the past that might seem strange to someone who didn't suffer from food addiction?
  3. You undoubtedly have positive motivations to lose weight. What are these positive motivations? Try describing what you would feel like if you reached your target weight. After you're done, ask yourself why these motivations aren't strong enough to carry you to success?

Part 3

Emotional Eating 101 (Part 3 of 4)
by Roger Gould, M.D.
In Part 1 and Part 2 of this series, we discussed emotional eating and food addiction. Today, we are going to talk about how food addiction starts and the initial steps to breaking it.

Learning the Patterns
Just like everything you know how to do in your life, you learned to be addicted to food. We touched on this subject in the last article when we discussed how people overeat because it worked for them.

All addictions follow the same basic pattern. First, you are in a distressed state of mind and the substance (whether it be alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, or cupcakes) offers you almost instant, albeit temporary, relief from your distress. If it works the first time, you do it again, and again. When it becomes the mechanism of choice, you are addicted. It is the short route to the temporary control of personal stress. If you are addicted now, it means you became too dependent on this mechanism and you created a short circuit to feeling good that now works against you.

It's a short circuit in many ways. It's the fastest route to feeling better, so in that way it is literally a short circuit. But it is also a short circuit in another sense. The more you use this mechanism, the more you bypass some essential work of life, and short circuit the new learning and new ways of managing your feelings that can make life more fulfilling and a lot easier. You are trading the short-term gain for a real long term-loss.

The more you eat, the more you avoid doing what is necessary to resolve the stress, depression, and anxiety in real life. The more you avoid, the less you learn about how to manage your mind and your life, or at least those critical parts of you that have not fully matured and been brought under rational control. It's a vicious cycle. Gradually the stabilization of mood and mind state is more important than the rational and thoughtful management of your life.

It may feel like this patterns has been with you since birth, but it has not. You learned that eating can give you relief, so you eat. But, you can unlearn it. Realizing this is one of the first steps on the road to recovery.

Although food addiction is learned behavior, I don't want to make it seem that the unlearning process is just a matter of education or reverse engineering. No, once food has become installed as a primary regulator of mood and emotions, it is an essential part of the person's mind, or at least feels that way. Food is no longer food. The taste is largely irrelevant. It's the mental effect that is being looked for in the burrito, not the calories or the flavor.

Some have described the relationship between the self and food as that of a lover that you jealously possess, hoard, hide and clandestinely have as your own. There is a great deal of truth in that description, but it doesn't quite get to the quality I hear in my patients. What I hear is that it is more like this eating pattern has become a part of one's mental self the same way an arm is part of one's bodily self, and defended in a parallel way. You wouldn't let anybody convince you to cut off your arm. In the same way, you won't let anybody convince you to give up this mechanism of internal control. This is why unlearning food addiction is so hard. It feels like you are unlearning an essential part of yourself.

Food addiction has the same imperative quality as the heroin addict who has to have his fix, or the smoker who must have one more drag, or the alcoholic who must have one more drink. If this comparison seems too harsh, think about how many people you know, including yourself, who have endangered their health through their eating habits. This is what we are up against when we battle food addiction. On some level we learned the behavior as adults or in our youth, but it goes even deeper than that; food addiction goes deeper than nicotine, alcohol or cocaine ever could. We need food to survive; it is even mixed with happiness in our infancy. Unlearning food addiction, or better yet, rebalancing your relationship to food, for this reason is not a simple process. It's not just a matter of reading one article and being cured. And you obviously can't go cold turkey from food to sober up!

Nevertheless, you do not need food to handle your emotions, your stress, or your internal critic; you do not need to overeat to handle your life; you do not need to overeat to make things feel okay, although it probably feels like you do. The process of breaking food addiction is learning that you don't need to overeat to be okay. It's usually a rocky road, but you can succeed.

The First Step: Confronting Denial
Everyone who is addicted to food in the way we have been discussing has the same starting point in this healing process.
You know, but you don't really know.

That is to say, you are living with a big internal contradiction about your addictive relationship to food. Some may call it denial. You know there's a problem, and you know you know. But, you know you are afraid to dig to find out what is below the surface. You may be reluctant to go there, but you are not in denial that you need to go there. If you were in total denial, you probably wouldn't be reading this right now.

Let me tell you about Kaisa, who is a 49-year old married woman, who at 5'4' weighs 202 pounds. She said the following as I began to help her with emotional eating and food addiction:
"I am generally quite a happy person, living a fulfilled life. Why then is there a feeling of being unfulfilled in me that seems to be fulfilled only by sweet carbohydrates? I just can't imagine a day without dessert. Without having a dessert I would be anxious and missing something for the rest of the evening."

As a psychiatrist, the first thing I see in this statement is the addiction. She may indeed be a happy person, but she is also an addicted person who is trying to get rid of the feeling of being unfulfilled. And from my way of thinking this is a contradiction. She may be happy on the surface, but she is covering up something important, something that just doesn't go away for very long.

The second thing I see is the illusion of safety that dessert delivers. "I would be anxious and missing something for the rest of the evening." Those pieces of cake are powerful medications that operate on the placebo principle. If you think it will work, it will work for a while, as long as you continue to believe. But it's not the sugar that is the medication. Sugar doesn't have those medicinal properties. It's the symbol or the meaning of the sugar that is at work to create the illusion of warding off the anxiety.

I knew from experience that at this point in the process I could never convince Kaisa to experiment and give up her cake to see what would happen - to see if she will really have uncontrollable anxiety for the rest of the evening without this placebo prop. She wouldn't do it. She was terrified by the prospect of out of control anxiety. She knew there was a problem. She knew she knew. But, she was scared to go any further.

Let's examine another starting point. Helen, a housewife in her early thirties, said this about her eating habits:
"I don't keep my weight in mind when I sit down to a gourmet meal, so I eat as much as I want to. Therefore, I don't control my portions. I don't listen to my body and eat not only to satisfy my hunger, but mostly for the pleasure of eating, that I want to prolong. My diet is not well balanced, because I eat too many sweets."

This is what I see in case after case. Dieters like Helen have enough information to analyze a situation and give advice to themselves, but that is not enough to be able to do something. It's only a baby step in that direction; it's a little bit more knowledge, a little bit more consciousness, but it's still just scratching the surface.

That's the position I find almost everybody who starts this process and I presume that is where you are. They know there's a problem, but they are afraid of moving forward or getting everything out in the open.

While working with Kaisa, I helped her think about what it would be like if she didn't begin to change her eating habits. Here's her sober prediction of the future if she doesn't make these changes. She wrote:
"I would simply not lose weight or even gain weight. I will focus more and more on eating as a source of pleasure this will diminish me as a human being and prevent me from growing and focusing on things that are worth it. I will feel out of control. My self-esteem will diminish. I would hate every morning, waking up and realizing how I look like and having to put on clothes that are too small and too tight. I will be afraid of food instead of enjoying it."

This negative vision of the future is a strong motivator to do something in the present but it is still not strong enough to combat the compulsion to over eat below the surface. The hope for success and the vision of what failure means has been there for years and hasn't done the job.

As our worked moved on, Kaisa realized she was not just a happy person who had a compulsion to eat too many sweets. There was much more to the picture. She realized she overate whenever she was depressed, bored, or feeling empty. She ate too much when her children clung to her, when her husband neglected or ignored her, when she had no one to talk to. She wrote about one specific incident right after it happened so it has a fresh feel to it. She said:
"I got home from work today and no one was there. I had a medium sized dinner and decided to have dessert. Right now, unfortunately, I can't imagine my day without dessert. So I had it, and instead of one piece that at this point of life I'm allowing myself to have, I had two pieces of cake. I know that with two pieces of cake a day I am not going to lose weight. I didn't even keep my weight in mind while I was eating. I just lived in the present and thought only about the pleasure and satisfaction and feeling fulfilled by that dessert. I probably would have had only one dessert if someone was there, but since no one was there, I had two."

As I talked to Kaisa about this incident, it became more and more apparent that she would eat when no one was there because she was lonely. As she began to let this secret out of her, as she began to acknowledge this fact, and as she snipped the last threads of denial, she began to really make progress.

Think about your own state of denial. What part of your relationship to food are you aware of but reluctant to acknowledge out in the open? Don't let this exercise lead you to despair. Just try to let some secrets out of the bag. It will help.

Everyone who is still addicted is in some form of denial because that denial fends off a worse feeling, the feeling of helplessness and hopelessness, which probably feels like a vague but powerful shadow hanging over your life. The denial has a twisted logic that goes something like this: "Why know all about something that I can't do anything about." But as you continue on in this forum, and continue on your path to recovery, I hope to show you that you can do something about this addiction, and that you are not helpless, and the problem is not hopeless. You can unlearn emotional eating, but the first step is to get past this hopelessness and to start letting go of denial.

The Second Step: The 12 Types of Emotional Hunger
The second step to stopping food addiction is to become familiar with the 12 types of emotional hunger. The more you can "see" your own reasons to continue your addiction to food, the more clear you will be that there is something you can do about it, even though you will probably need some form of help and guidance to do it well and effectively.

Through my research and practice, I've identified 12 distinct sources of emotional hunger, each driven by a different type of motivation. These different types of emotional hunger are what fuel emotional eating patterns, make you overeat, and until they are handled without food, will keep your food addiction alive. You'll probably recognize some of these motivations easily, while others will seem less applicable to your life. Some of these may not apply to you, which is good. However, battling just one of these can be difficult.

Type 1. Dulling The Pain With The Food Trance.
If you get hungry when you feel angry, depressed, anxious, bored, or lonely, you suffer from Type 1 emotional hunger, and you use food to dull the pain that these emotions cause.

Type 2. Sticks And Stones May Break Your Bones, But Cake Won't Heal What Hurts You.
If you react by getting hungry when others talk down to you, take advantage of you, belittle you or take you for granted, then you suffer from Type 2 emotional hunger. You eat to avoid confrontation.

Type 3. A Full Heart Fills An Empty Belly.
If you crave food when you have tension in your close relationships, you suffer from Type 3 emotional hunger. You eat to avoid feeling the pain of rejection or anger.

Type 4. Hate Yourself, Love Your Munchies.
If you tend to become hypercritical of yourself, if you label yourself "stupid," "lazy," or "a loser," you have Type 4 emotional hunger. You eat to "stuff down" your self-hatred.

Type 5. Secret Desires Have No Calories.
If your hunger gets activated because your intimate relationships don't satisfy some basic need like trust or security, you suffer from Type 5 emotional hunger and you use food to try to fill the gap.

Type 6. Forty Million Big Gulps And The Well Is Still Empty.
If you stuff yourself to make up for the deprivation you experienced as a child, you have Type 6 emotional eating.

Type 7. It's My Pastry, and I'll Eat If I Want To.
If you eat to assert your independence because you don't want anyone telling you what to do, you have Type 7 emotional hunger.

Type 8. I Can't Come To Work Today—I'm Too Fat.
If your appetite kicks in when you're faced with new challenges—if you use food to avoid rising to the test, or to insulate yourself from the fear of failure—you have Type 8 emotional hunger.

Type 9. Aroused by Aromas, Not by the Chef.
If you eat in order to avoid your sexuality—either to stay fat so that nobody desires you or to hide from intimate encounters—you suffer from Type 9 emotional eating.

Type 10. I'll Beat You With this Éclair.
Type 10 emotional eaters stuff themselves to pay back those who have hurt them, often in the distant past. They use their bodies as battlegrounds for working out old resentments.

Type 11. Peter Pan and the Peanut Butter Cookie.
If you eat to make yourself feel carefree, like a child, you have Type 11 emotional hunger. You eat to keep yourself from facing the challenges of growing up.

Type 12. That Stranger In Lycra Wearing Your Face.
If you overeat because you fear getting thin, either consciously or unconsciously, you have Type 12 emotional hunger.

Experience has shown me that you can't treat all of these very different motivations in the same way—each requires a distinct strategy. For instance, if people have talked down to you all your life, you might have become sensitive to that behavior, and your hunger gets triggered whenever someone belittles or patronizes you. You eat to give yourself comfort, to lessen the sting of insult.

First you shut down, and then you eat. Your strategy will involve finding the appropriate behavior to address the grievance directly. On the other hand, if you overeat because you want to avoid sexual intimacy, you have a very different set of motivations, and you'll need to do a different type of work.

I suggest you read over this list several times. Try to think of times that these types of emotional hunger drove you to eat. The more you are familiar with these different types, the easier it will be to recognize them in the future, which means you'll have more control!

Now that you've read this article and thought about it a little, it's time for you to personally evaluate how it applies to your life. Below are some questions and activities that you should answer and do before the next article is posted. Taking these questions and activities seriously will help you get a better understanding of emotional eating.
  1. Can you identify a time when you began to seek food for comfort? What was happening in your life at the time? If you can't remember when you started using food for comfort, try to describe time when this habit intensified or became more severe.
  2. How would you feel if you had to give up the habit of eating when upset emotionally? Describe what your life might feel like. Part of you probably says that you'll be fine, but what does the other part say? What does the part of you that's scared of giving up emotional eating say?
  3. What part of your relationship with food are you in denial about? Which part would you rather not know about? How might you get this out in the open to yourself? What would happen if you did this?
  4. Which of the 12 types of emotional hunger do you suffer from most? What are some ways you could begin to change your habit of eating when faced with emotional hunger like this?
I've not had a chance to read these properly myself yet, but I hope they are of some help.

I'll read tomorrow and prepare for the debate!

All excellent stuff Amber :clap:

Learning the Patterns
Just like everything you know how to do in your life, you learned to be addicted to food. We touched on this subject in the last article when we discussed how people overeat because it worked for them.

All addictions follow the same basic pattern. First, you are in a distressed state of mind and the substance (whether it be alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, or cupcakes) offers you almost instant, albeit temporary, relief from your distress. If it works the first time, you do it again, and again. When it becomes the mechanism of choice, you are addicted. It is the short route to the temporary control of personal stress. If you are addicted now, it means you became too dependent on this mechanism and you created a short circuit to feeling good that now works against you.

So true. That addictive desire again. I probably started overeating to dampen down other feelings. I think that it the end, I just ate because that is what I did. The connections had been made and adhered to other situations too.

So, for example, if I constantly had a problem with someone and it made me eat or smoke when I was with them, or soon after, even though the issues I had with them might go, I would still have that same desire to eat after seeing them. Other things were still the same....them....their house...anything really that subconsciously set off the chain.

I noticed this particularly with smoking. I had certain houses that I smoked in (with other smokers) and houses that I didn't. Even though a friend eventually gave up, I still had the desire to smoke there, whereas I would be happy not to smoke in another persons house if I had never smoked there. Does that make sense?

The more you avoid, the less you learn about how to manage your mind and your life, or at least those critical parts of you that have not fully matured and been brought under rational control.
Agreed. Especially managing the mind.

Food is no longer food. The taste is largely irrelevant. It's the mental effect that is being looked for in the burrito, not the calories or the flavor.
Oh goodness.....yes!

Some have described the relationship between the self and food as that of a lover that you jealously possess, hoard, hide and clandestinely have as your own. T
Oh my. Yes again!

What I hear is that it is more like this eating pattern has become a part of one's mental self the same way an arm is part of one's bodily self, and defended in a parallel way.
So true. It was a part of me. When I gave up that intense relationship with food, I felt bereaved. I had lost my very closest friend.

This is why unlearning food addiction is so hard. It feels like you are unlearning an essential part of yourself.
Again, so true. I felt like I was giving up all that I was. Reinventing myself. And I didn't like it. I thought I was enjoying the food. I thought I had to have it. It was me. What was I without food and ciggies? Nothing!

That is to say, you are living with a big internal contradiction about your addictive relationship to food. Some may call it denial. You know there's a problem, and you know you know. But, you know you are afraid to dig to find out what is below the surface
Yes. My 'cure' really started when I truly accepted I was an addict. I have worked with addicts, yet never really thought I was one. Once I realised what I was doing, I could see so many similarities. It was scary. I suddenly saw from outside myself. Looking at myself as another might. I was an addict and couldn't believe that I hadn't noticed before:confused:

Dieters like Helen have enough information to analyze a situation and give advice to themselves, but that is not enough to be able to do something.
Ahhh yes. So much easier to analyse and advise yourself. So much harder to follow through. No amount of analyzing works though unless you actually follow through with what you have learnt.

They know there's a problem, but they are afraid of moving forward or getting everything out in the open.
Well yes Mr Gould. Bearing my soul even to myself is darned difficult. It embarrasses me:eek:

The hope for success and the vision of what failure means has been there for years and hasn't done the job.
Never thought of it like that, but very true.

I just lived in the present and thought only about the pleasure and satisfaction and feeling fulfilled by that dessert. I probably would have had only one dessert if someone was there, but since no one was there, I had two."
Or 3+:eek: Living in the present? Oh yes, don't we all do that.

I really ought to wrap up. There is so much fantastic stuff here.

As for the 12 types of emotional eaters I not really sure I fit any of them:confused: Perhaps I did once, but it just became as simple as 'I ate because that is what I did when the conditions were right'. I ate when people left me alone. Not because I was lonely, but because I could.

I could go from not desiring anything, to needing food immediately (and lots of it) within 2 minutes of everyone leaving the house. Yet I loved it when I was left alone. I ate for reward. I rewarded myself for getting through the day without killing anyone :D Food meant the end of work and the beginning of my relaxation time.

I rewarded myself with food for losing weight. I also ate for not losing weight:confused:

I ate out of habit. If the conditions were right, I had to eat.

Changing those patterns of behaviour were so difficult because I thought the food was the only answer. Without the food, I would never really solve anything. I would have to continue throughout my life with that empty feeling.

This isnt really in the debate, The diet industry is BIG BUSINESS, I often wondered why as people we find it easier to subscribe to some kind of weightloss programme, which often makes us lighter in the pocket, giving control of our eating to someone else. I've decided to take responsibilty for my own eating, Im not going to subscribe to some eating plan anymore, Im going to eat firstly healthily, for my heart, which means that Im going to eat in moderation, if you look at people who are slim, who have never had any weight problems, firstly they are lucky but also mostly they never really think about what they are eating..... except when they are out for a meal and have to decide on what starter main course and dessert they want ;).

I do emotionally eat but the simple answer is really to work out when you do this, some emotional eating is needed at times, but you let yourself off, you make up for it later in the week. You make yourself aware of it and forgive yourself at the end of the day, we are human.

Also yes there is no doubting these plans help and aid you to wieghtloss, but the amount of posts I read than really berate themselves because they have fallen off the wagon and eaten some chicken, etc is so disheartening. Im not going to put myself thru this, this forum seems to be more of a confessional than anything else. Im never going to apologise for eating some chocolate because at the time I needed it because I had a bad day. Even slim people have chocolate and eat out!!! So should we.

Anyway rant over lol
anyone feel the way I do.

I often wondered why as people we find it easier to subscribe to some kind of weightloss programme, which often makes us lighter in the pocket, giving control of our eating to someone else.

Because they need help at that time in their lives. Because we lose the ability to cope on our own. Because we lose belief in ourselves. Because we don't know where else to turn. Because we know that if we follow the plan it will probably work.
Im going to eat firstly healthily, for my heart, which means that Im going to eat in moderation,
And that is admirable, but some are at a different stage. That is too difficult. It would be like a heroin addict saying "I think I'll just shoot up on Sundays"

if you look at people who are slim, who have never had any weight problems, firstly they are lucky but also mostly they never really think about what they are eating..... except when they are out for a meal and have to decide on what starter main course and dessert they want ;).
I agree, but for many people with food issues, one of the key elements to 'recovery' does involve thinking about what they are eating. Why? Because they are completely out of touch with what food is all about.

By consciously thinking about what you put in your mouth, you start realising what it's doing for you (or not). Gradually you wean yourself back to normaldom.

I think many people have weight problems in the first place by not thinking about what they are eating, but just eating...and eating.

I do emotionally eat but the simple answer is really to work out when you do this,
Hey...yes...that is really simple. Tell an addict to think about why he has his fix, then he'll just be able to stop;)

some emotional eating is needed at times, but you let yourself off, you make up for it later in the week.
Agreed. We shouldn't beat ourselves up. Even slim people often eat emotionally. I think my problem was that it became a almost daily habit. So how often should you eat because a situation presents itself that makes you turn to food? Once a day? Once a week?

I let myself off every time. No good beating myself up. Hence the 8 stone gain.:eek:
You make yourself aware of it and forgive yourself at the end of the day, we are human.
And so are heroin addicts. And at the end of the day, they are usually so completely spaced out or sometimes dead;)
I read than really berate themselves because they have fallen off the wagon and eaten some chicken, etc is so disheartening.
I know. It's sad. Unfortunately if you are doing a VLCD, then eating something you shouldn't does make things so much harder.

It's like going cold turkey. You can gradually withdraw what you are addicted to and 'using' once or twice a day would be fabulous, but if you are going cold turkey, it's easy to consider that you have failed if you use even the once.

Im never going to apologise for eating some chocolate because at the time I needed it because I had a bad day. Even slim people have chocolate and eat out!!! So should we.
It was chocolate and eating out, oh...and biscuits and crisps, and bread, and pastries, and etcs. A line had to be drawn somewhere. I couldn't continue to eat everything and forgive myself over and over.

I have eating issues, UI wouldnt be 19stone if i didnt, but I had alook for deit pages that didnt charge for help and there wasnt any. yes there are more things to eat than chocolate and eating out, I just think that I have read that some many people do diets without even trying to control themselves over healthy eating, I dont think any diet that tells you what to eat and when to eat it, is good value for money, a better value for money would be to get a book on nutrition, at the end of the day we all have the same goals, I just think that, there is no easy shortcut to wieghtloss, yes you can loads loads on vlcds and others things such as gastric bypass but these are last ditch attempts, have you kd really tried just healthy eating and exercise as a first option before all these dieting plans, please be honest? I didnt, I thought it would be to hard and too much effort would take too long, but now Im like im going try it, put my heart and sole into it before I say i cant do it. Benefits of losing it slowly with exercise as well, is that you wont have as much loose skin and may not need surgery, loose it quickly and you will have loose skin, and hair loss, these side effects are worrying, id rather be fat and have my hair than thinner and thin hair, i love my hair, its the one thing that really boosts my self esteem, I just feel people dont give the 'sensible eating and exercise' plan a chance before they think i need outside help, I need someone to tell me what to eat, no wonder there are so many diferent diet plans out there and cambridge and other vlcds are increasing, because people want quick fix solutions. rant over. lol

I have read that some many people do diets without even trying to control themselves over healthy eating

I think that most people who embark on a VLCD have tried healthy eating an exercise.
I just think that, there is no easy shortcut to wieghtloss, yes you can loads loads on vlcds and others things such as gastric bypass but these are last ditch attempts,
It was definitely that for me. My last attempt ever at a diet.

have you kd really tried just healthy eating and exercise as a first option before all these dieting plans, please be honest?
Oh yes. Many times. Hang on...I'll get my very extensive diet diary..............

Right. Volume XXXXXXIII Jan 2nd 1972

I'm done with diets. I'm just going to eat healthily and carry on with my judo.

Volume XXXXXXIV Jan 3rd 1974

Growl. Still stuck at 14 stone. How annoying. Right, time for action. Back to the slimming club

My problem was that my main aim was to lose weight rather than just be healthy. What the scales said were of utmost importance. I lost stones eating healthily, but plateaued for ages. Had I continued through the months...maybe a year or more it may well have all come off, but I didn't have the patience. I wanted to be slim more than anything.

Had health been the main goal, I could have done it, but it wasn't at the time. I thought that health meant being slim. If I wasn't losing, then I couldn't have been healthy and if I wasn't losing then I wasn't succeeding by eating healthily.

I think most overweight people think like this. The number on the scales is way more important than what you put into your mouth. I don't agree with it now, which is why I can eat intuitively and disregard the numbers on the scales.

I didnt, I thought it would be to hard and too much effort would take too long, but now Im like im going try it, put my heart and sole into it before I say i cant do it.
I do agree that this is the way to go if you can manage it. Some people find it easy. In fact, I found it easy for the most part, but the head started going in the wrong direction, because of the above. I was looking for health and self esteem in the wrong place.

id rather be fat and have my hair than thinner and thin hair,
Losing hair only happens for a few. To be honest, I would have loved that side effect. My hair is thick and unruly. Damn Cambridge for not working like that for me :D

I just feel people dont give the 'sensible eating and exercise' plan a chance before they think i need outside help,
In an ideal world anyone who finds themselves putting on weight should consider the healthy eating/exercise way first. I am totally against going on a diet if that hasn't been tried. Diets mess up your head, but once you have embarked on them a few dozen times, then they are often the easiest way out.

cambridge and other vlcds are increasing, because people want quick fix solutions. rant over. lol
We live in a quick fix culture. A lot depends on how desperate you are. I was very desperate. The side effects of being overweight were manifesting themselves daily. It seemed okay when I was younger, but as I got older it was taking it toll. Another day of being that big was 24 hours too long.

I have dieted all my life (well...since my teens back in the late 60s). I have gained and lost. I tried everything. Most worked to some extent but very often I didn't. I was broken. I couldn't keep it off. Why? Why couldn't I do it in the longterm? Why was I often happy dieting, yet seemed unable to maintain? Surely it should have been just a case of eating healthily once I was down to a sensible size.

Unfortunately, that wasn't enough, but I did't realise this until late in life.

Cor, I enjoyed that KD, I shall stop sulking about your short posts on my diary thread! Tee Hee.

Everything you say makes sense, I know where GG is coming from and I know you do too. The truth is there are no magic answers, you have found your answer, I hope I have found mine, but on examination, magic? No just keeping on, keeping on.
Eating is such a complex thing, if we only ever did it when hungry none of us would get fat. We would self regulate and only respond with food to hunger.
Where does greed come into all this though? I understand that sometimes I eat because I am bored/tired/upset etc... but what about when I just love something and eat it all? You know me and biscuits; surely when I eat 6 or more I am just being greedy because I like the taste and the texture?
What about chocolate marzipan (YUM), if someone buys me some I cannot leave them alone, I just love them. Doesn't matter how I am feeling, I just love eating them. Thats just being a piglet, isn't it?

Cor, I enjoyed that KD, I shall stop sulking about your short posts on my diary thread! Tee Hee.

You're a glutton for punishment Barb :D

Where does greed come into all this though?
You'll notice that I rarely talk about greed. It's not an 'emotion' that I want to address. I would rather say I was an addict, than say I was greedy:confused: Addiction is something that has happened to be. I can be almost blame free. Greed is more of a 'sin', so I avoid researching that and try to put it to the back of my mind.

Now you have brought it to the front, and it's an excellent point.

I really understand what you are saying about eating just for the enjoyment of it. Because you like the taste etc.

There was a long period where I thought that was my problem, but consider this.

The definition of an addict is a person who cannot stop doing or using something, especially something harmful.

An addict often enjoys what they do, they just have trouble stopping the behaviour. Someone who is just plain greedy could stop it in a heartbeat if it was having a negative effect.

Consider the biscuits that you love. You aren't greedy eating those biscuits. You enjoy them, you like the taste and texture. So you have them. Does it stop you eating something else at mealtimes when you're not hungry or fanciful? Or do you eat that aswell?

Are they something that you could spread throughout the day? After all, you are still having them. Why do we have to eat them all in one sitting?

If someone offered you a £100 and you wanted it, would it matter if you had it in £10 lots throughout the day, or must you have the £100 immediately? Surely it doesn't matter, but not so with food. Well...not in my case anyway. It had to be eaten there and then. At times it was painful to make it last.

Yet, I would still be able to have them. Spreading them throughout the day/week and cutting back on other foods that I didn't desire so much would have probably kept me trim, but it didn't work like that. There had to be something else going on.

What about chocolate marzipan (YUM), if someone buys me some I cannot leave them alone, I just love them.

Oh me too. And I noticed that Lidl have got their mini stollens in stock. Grrr. I can eat a bag in one sitting. Will be practicing eating them throughout the season this year.

Doesn't matter how I am feeling, I just love eating them. Thats just being a piglet, isn't it?

Nope. What if eating them is giving you a 'high'. You like the taste, but it's also having a chemical reaction in your brain that says "this is way better than it really is".

It's just food. It tastes really nice and feels good in your mouth until it's gone. We all know that it never worth it for the feeling it gives you being overweight. If just greedy you could logically just stop doing it and not do it again until you were at goal, and then have control.

Consider a true shopaholic. One who fills their house with way more than they need and gets themselves into deep financial troubles. Are they just greedy? I think not

Flippin Heck KD, you're at it again! Everything you say makes sense, especially the bit about the shopoholic. There is something of that behaviour in me. I get a 'buzz' when shopping, sometimes I will shop wildly online and then when I get to checkout, just log out, I've had the buzz without the expense!!!!

Can I do that with food? Enjoy it but control it? Eat it sometimes but not EVERY time? I can do that with shopping, because of course if it is something i really want and can JUSTIFY, then I buy it.
So can I justify eating 6 biscuits in one go? No. Can I justify eating one and another one later if I really want it? Yes!

If I pig out on biccies do I eat all my dinner too? No, actually I don't, in fact I even enjoy my DH saying, ' Oh Barb, not hungry sweetheart?', noticing my 'little' appetite. Do I tell him about the 6 biscuits I've consumed when he's not looking? Um, no I don't! Later, when I feel nibbly again because I ate the biscuits but not the dinner, do I go to bed hungry? No DH says 'do you want some choclate? You had next to nothing for dinner' and what do I say? 'Yes please!!!!'

And therein lies the rub. Who am I decieving him or me? Both I reckon!

Ive found this post so interesting. I must admit I'm terrified of losing all my weight only to put it back on again, but I guess that is something i'll have to face when I get there.

I love posts like this.

hi angel, i weigh about the same as you, and I was more frightened of hair loss and loose saggy skin, which is why after a month I have come off cambridge and gone onto four/five days at the gym and sensible eating, I know that if I can do the exercise I will definately minimise the loose skin.

KD= you never did mention after loosing all those 8stones whether you ended up with loose saggy skin? did you have to go and have surgery> interestingly you only quoted the bits you could answer easily, alot of very overweight have issues with how there body will look like when there clothes are off, and many have issues with keeping the weight off, will people get into a cycle of forever being on some kind of vlcd, I know how positive it is when people lose lots of weight quickly, even icemooses story is incredible, but when I read about his tummytuck. i wonder if it mightnt been necessary with slower weightloss and exercise? am i being controversial again??

KD= you never did mention after loosing all those 8stones whether you ended up with loose saggy skin?

Mines not too bad, especially considering my age and umpteen pregnancies.

Yes, the loose skin does come quick when you lose quick, and it comes slowly when you lose slowly;)

Whether you lose it in a year or 3 years the amount of lose skin depends more on your age and genetics than the speed.

Your skin is a living mass of cells which are constantly replaced. As you age, it loses it elasticity. Blow a balloon up and leave it for years. Doesn't matter whether you let it down slowly or quickly, it'll still look the same when the air has gone.

you only quoted the bits you could answer easily,
:eek: Did I miss something out:eek: OMG, that is so unlike me :D Was it the lose skin bit? Answered now :)

will people get into a cycle of forever being on some kind of vlcd,
I think this is very probable. Just as people get in a cycle with WW, SW etc. Changing your way of eating to healthy eating and exercise forever is definitely the way to go....if you can do it.

even icemooses story is incredible, but when I read about his tummytuck. i wonder if it mightnt been necessary with slower weightloss and exercise? am i being controversial again??
I think it would have probably been the same story with the loose skin.

I lost 6 stone with SW once. It came off slowly over about 3 years. I remember loose skin then. Can't remember well enough to compare with the present though. My loose skin is minimal. It's certainly not something that bothers me. Oh, okay....perhaps the batwings, but then we were comparing them in the staffroom the other day with other ladies my age and mine weren't much different.

I was surprised.

You can be controversial with me. I enjoy a debate :)

Back