Interesting Cooking Ideas

elb4160

Gold Member
Now I realise this isn't particularly off topic, but I don't want to clutter up other areas of the SW section. As some of you will know I've gone through a very rough patch recently with my 7 year relationship ending and having to launch myself across the country to move back in with my Mum! So I haven't been sticking to SW, I have miraculously managed to lose weight, but today is honestly the first day when I've felt genuinely interested in food!

So now that my appetite seems to be returning, and more importantly, my enjoyment of cooking I need some ideas!

I'm tired of cooking and eating the same old thing day in day out so I'm asking all of you lovely people to come up with some new ideas for me!

Today I feel like cooking something interesting, possibly exotic, and of course yummy!

Please assume I haven't got any ingredients as I'm planning on heading to tesco/asda to get them all once I know what I'm cooking!

Let's get these creative juices flowing please people!!!!

:eating:

And of course post any other ideas you fancy sharing! It doesn't have to just be for dinner tonight, I'm interested in hearing any foody ideas!

How spicy do you like your food? I made a carribean dish last night which is proper comfort food. The recipe is below - but be warned - if you don't like spicy stuff be careful with the scotch bonnets and definitely don't put the seeds in!

Brown Stew Chicken with Rice & Peas – serves 4
For the Chicken
8 Skinless Chicken thighs (on the bone) and skinless drumsticks
Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons All purpose Seasoning (2 syns)
2 teaspoons Chicken Seasoning
Salt & Pepper
3 Spring Onions
2 onions
1 garlic clove
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 scotch bonnet pepper (go for yellow if you don’t want heat)
Water to cover
Frylight

For the Rice & Peas
3 Spring Onions
2 Cloves Garlic
1 cinnamon stick
2 spring thyme
150ml light coconut milk (5 syns)
1 tin kidney beans
250g long grain rice
450ml water

Method – Brown Stew Chicken
Marinade the chicken in the all purpose seasoning, chicken seasoning, lemon juice,salt & pepper for 5 hours minimum
Spray a heavy bottomed frying pan with frylight and heat.
Add the chicken pieces and fry on each side for 5 minutes
Add the all vegetables and enough water to cover.
Leave to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the gravy has thickened. You can add some chicken gravy granules if you want.

Method – Rice & Peas
Spray a saucepan with Frylight.
Add the chill, spring onion, garlic, cinnamon and thyme to the pan and stir fry for a few minutes.
Add the coconut milk and stir
Add the rice, kidney beans and water and bring to the boil
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Be sure to check it every few minutes so it doesn’t stick.

Kingleds, that sounds delicious - but what is "all purpose seasoning" and "chicken seasoning"? Are they spices you'd find in the caribbean food aisle in the supermarket?

Elb, what sort of food do you usually cook? What do you like? If you're a curry fan, I'd really recommend the SW "curry heaven" cookbook - everything I've tried from there has been delicious.

Julesm has some lovely recipes for a Tex-Mex feast: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/227352-tex-mex-feast.html Makes a very nommy dinner!

You can find all purpose seasoning in most supermarkets now - if not in the spice section then defnitely in the Ethnic Food Aisle. There are 2 I know about. Aromat, which is made by Knorr and Dunns River. I've not been able to find the syns for the Dunns River one, but none of the ingredients are synned, so I have been using it as free to be honest.The Aromat one is 2 syns, but I prefer the Dunns River one as it makes the gravy really brown. Plus the Dunns River one is cheaper as well.

The Chicken Seasoning is again, Dunns River, and free as far as I can figure. Or you can buy Schwartz simply shake for Chicken - thats free too.

Usually the scotch bonnets are the most difficult bit to find!! But all the supermarkets near me stock them, and I don't live in the most multi cultural area at all.

Thanks, that's fab! I'll have to look out for those next time I go to the supermarket. My local Sainsbury's is dreadful, but the Morrison's near work is much better when it comes to ethnic foods so hopefully I'll be in luck!

Just discovered Roast Butternut Squash Risotto on www.slimmingeats.com (Britmums blog) absolute comfort food, I make mine with sage instead of basil. Divine!

Also loved the chicken lemon and garlic tray bake in a SW mag, a complete meal just one roasting tin to wash!
Chicken thighs, butternut squash, chatenay carrots, new pots halved, red onion in wedges, place the veg in a pan spray with Frylight, season, then nestle the chicken in amongst the veg. Roast for 40 mins,
Mix together garlic purée, lemon zest, lemon juice and a handful of finely chopped fresh herbs, sprinkle over the chicken and veg, then toss carefully, cook for another 20 mins and serve!
The SW book says to serve with broccoli but I think if you need extra veg add it to the pan!

Tesco also do a lovely fish dish with peppers onions etc as the base and fish on top, you could add lots of veg just omit the oil.

On the fish theme check out undyed Scottish kipper from the fish counter, try grilling it, it's so lovely and rich and 100 times nicer than the boil in a bag.

- - -
Also loved the chicken lemon and garlic tray bake in a SW mag, a complete meal just one roasting tin to wash!
Chicken thighs, butternut squash, chatenay carrots, new pots halved, red onion in wedges, place the veg in a pan spray with Frylight, season, then nestle the chicken in amongst the veg. Roast for 40 mins,
Mix together garlic purée, lemon zest, lemon juice and a handful of finely chopped fresh herbs, sprinkle over the chicken and veg, then toss carefully, cook for another 20 mins and serve!
The SW book says to serve with broccoli but I think if you need extra veg add it to the pan!

That's one of my favourites too - it is different each time I do it because I keep adding different vegetables. I am not that keen on red onion, so I leave that out and put in quartered shallots instead, then I might add butternut squash and/or aubergines and/or courgettes, etc., etc.

In fact, I have made it with all vegetables and no chicken, and it was just as delicious.

That's one of my favourites too - it is different each time I do it because I keep adding different vegetables. I am not that keen on red onion, so I leave that out and put in quartered shallots instead, then I might add butternut squash and/or aubergines and/or courgettes, etc., etc.

In fact, I have made it with all vegetables and no chicken, and it was just as delicious.

I love the little bursts of lemon! Was thinking next time of adding steamed green beans at the end.

Back