Interesting Question

pticouk

Ok, please try and stay with me on this one!!

How long does it take for you to gain the weight from somrthing you've eaten?

If someone ate 3kg of fish and chips on a saturday would it be noticeable straight away? If they jumped on the scales would they weigh 3kg more than before the meal as they'd added 3kg to their body and then how long after that would it take for it to be processed into fat and calories and then a weight change? And say your body needs 1500 calories to work a day and one day you ate 500 then the next your ate 5000 and then the next 6000 and then the next 500 would you put on weight on the higher days and lose weight on the lower days?

I was thinking about this over the weekend and now can't stop!

Helen

Hi Helen

Your post made me smile as I have had similar thoughts on several occasions while attempting to follow other diets.:)
I like to think that any change in weight takes effect as soon as the deed is done, but according to my LLC this is not the case!
She told our group last week that it can take up to a couple of weeks for the effect of eating something to take effect!!
I'm still waiting to find out if this is true as I had a bit of a lapse last week...:sign0007:
I'll let you know....!

Monkey

It is definately true that it takes days and not hours for anything to show, if you do eat a pound of something then you will immediately weight 1 pound more (obviously as you just ate it!) but the conversion of food into fat storage does take a few days and hence you won't have a tighter belt the next day.

Over the 5000 calories , 500 calorie approach then this is usually frowned upon as a binge cycle and can lead to water retention and also the body not knowing what is happening, saying that the JUDDD diet has this approach but not 5000 calories obviously!! I am sure Barb can explain more about this as not my area of expertise.

Mike

Thanks both.

I'd like to point out I didn't eat fish and chips and I couldn't imagine eating 5000 calories in a day - although I'm sure I must've at some point to get to how I was!!

My wighin day is on a Thursday and when I have eaten it's een at weekends and I think we'll I've got the week to get back to normal but then had the realisation that maybe I don't have the week to sort it out!!

Helen

Back