Interview!!

bo_lady

Well I applied to do a PGCE teaching 14-19 yr olds business studies and I have got an interview on weds!!

Im scared, dont know wot to wear and generally feeling sick.

Anyone been to an interview for something like this any advice?

Thanks Anna xxx

Oh the joys!! You're mad you know?!? My PGCE interview (scarily over 7 years ago!) I went pretty smart, but there was a bit of a mixture. I'd say suit type trousers or skirt & a smart top. Thats my work uniform!

Don't be too scared. If you got an interview then you've got what they want its just a case of them checking up. At mine I had to do a task where we had 30 mins to write a review of a book, group interview where we basically presented that information & then an individual interview.

If theres anything specific you want to know that just shout.

Good luck!!!

Im really scared about it!! As it is quite a late start do u think there will be the whole group thing? Were u pre warned about wot wud have to do?

Is it for September? If so thats very late so don't imagine there would be a group task, there might have been someone drop out.

My letter said who would be interviewing but nothing else. Oh I feel for you! I take PGCE students now so know what they're gonig through. Its a tough year but if its what you want then its definately worth it.

yeh will start in Sept!!
I rang up 2 weeks ago cos decided to take the plunge and just go for it rather than worry about the lack of money for a yr and they said they had spaces, its teaching 14-19 yr olds a course they have only done for 3 yrs so thats prob y they have got the spaces.

Yeah the Business course only does the top end of school & college, my old school had business students. They have slightly different term dates too as they have to work to exam times.

Which college is it?

Graham Greene wrote a book about career changing and in that there was a great bit of advice about interviews. His advice was to think of an interview as a discussion about the job (or in your case - the course). The interviewers want you to succeed. Thinking about these things makes the power relationship change and you (hopefully) won't feel so nervous.

I trained in NZ but I don't teach anymore. I still remember my interview for the PGDip. They just want to know you are committed to education, to teenagers and will be a positive role model.

As Businees is only GCSE & A level they start earlier as you need to get a certain amount of teaching time in to pass. My students teach Y7-9 as well so can get time in there instead of just upper school who go off on exam leave.

Hi Anna, first of all i want to say congratulations on getting the interview :), you are halfway there now :D.

I know exactley how you are feeling at the mo because i went through the same thing. I originally applied for a degree in primary education in september last year and i was really nervous about the interviews i would have to go to, so i was trying to prep as much as possible.

I know you have applied for a different age group and a different subject but i think i can help a little.

I know its hard but try to take control of the situation. I am sure you know your stuff on business studies so you should be fine with any questions they ask on your degree. I would just prep on on certain topics that you have more knowledge on and can relate to a teaching environment. Maybe topics that would be covered at GCSE and some that would get the children really interested and motivated.

The thing i found to be most important at these interviews is your experiences with working with children from your age range. What interviewers really like is for you to reflect on your experiences and talk about the challenges that you faced and what you learnt. They would like you to have spent time shadowing a teacher for about a week as well as working with the children for a week. They like it if you have had experience of working with different ages but within the age range you want to teach so that you are aware of the transitions that children have to go through and they different challenges of each age group. They also like it if you are aware of differentiation.

I wouldn't worry to muh about what to wear. I would just wear something smart but casual. I wouldn't wear jeans and triainers though. Some smart plain black trainers, sensible shoes and hair, minimal make-up and a nice plain top/shirt.

I hope i have been of some help with my advice and i havent made you more worried. I am talking from my exepreinces with applying for primary education and they are really keen on expereince but i am not 100% sure for your age range.

I would suggest that you check out the TDA website because there is a lot of useful information on there about appling for teaching and course interviews etc.

Link : TDA - Training and Development Agency for Schools

Here is another link that you might find useful. Its a forum for students and this particular link is for those interested in teaching:

Teaching - The Student Room

I wish you all the best with your interview. I have an interview tmrw too, its for a foundation degree though. I decided i would rather do this then a straight forward degree because with a foundation degree i get to work and earn money :).

Good luck :) xx

Gosh, i just read over my post and feel it might have made you more worried. I hope it hasnt. Primary Teaching is really competitive and so i had to prep alot and do all the things i mentioned. I think the advice FC and Sandra have provided is much more useful.

Thanks so much guys, I am most scared about not being able to answer questions about the course as I have had 2 yrs since getting my degree and its mostly gone from my brain.
Fingers crossed do u have any good tips on keeping the class motivated and easier to learn things?
Good Luck maybe Baby, I have had no experience in teaching my age range but the person who is interviewing me said its good I have had 2 yrs working because they like to take ppl with experience then just out of uni!!

Thanks so much guys, I am most scared about not being able to answer questions about the course as I have had 2 yrs since getting my degree and its mostly gone from my brain.
Fingers crossed do u have any good tips on keeping the class motivated and easier to learn things?
Good Luck maybe Baby, I have had no experience in teaching my age range but the person who is interviewing me said its good I have had 2 yrs working because they like to take ppl with experience then just out of uni!!

I wouldnt worry about the expereince, i think they emphasis that more with primary children because they want to know you can handle it, lol. I also found that universities are keen to take on people who have had more life experiences because they would have more to offer to the class and have more knowledge and skills.

I am abit worried about tmrw tho because its also a late interview and i didnt expect it for my course so i have no idea what to expect, which is scary but a day out to Derby will be nice :) xx

xx :)

Experience wise what I'd say, having done teacher interviews recently, is give examples to back up what you're saying. Think about some things that you've done that might support questions, so support you've given others etc

Classroom management! The ultimate question!!! Good planning is the key. If your lessons are well planned with a variety of different tasks using different learning styles then they are more likely to hold attention. If not then say you'll follow school disciplne proceedures. You're there to learn so they don't expect you to know everything. Show that you are willing & interested above all & they'll snap you up!

What type of learning styles are better for my age range tho? More interactive?
Also Questions what questions should I ask?

Take a look at this re: questions TES - Teaching jobs, resources & ideas from the Times Educational Supplement should be able to help you far more than I can.

Teaching styles are a bit of a buzz thing at the mo. The main ones are auditory, visual & kinesthetic. Our pupils know which they like best & will complain when its others! For your age you still need a range. When I teach A level theres is a lot of me talking & them reading but I make sure I include things for them to do, often slightly mad things, just to break it up.

Thats really helpful Fingers Crossed what sort of questions shud I ask the interviewer though so i seem keen and interested?

Back