Introducing the new Pro-points plan: *UPDATED TO THE CHANGES IN 2011!*

New Pro Points Calculator

Are you saying the new calculator will tell you how many daily points you're allowed? You won't have to go to the meetings to get that answer?

Are you saying the new calculator will tell you how many daily points you're allowed? You won't have to go to the meetings to get that answer?
yes exactly! You can buy the calculator and get away with it, but you might want to get the folder with the explanation of the diet, which you might get at meetings or on ebay or somewhere ;)

That's cool. I have ordered everything from Ebay, I'm just waiting for them to come in now. It just sounded weird that the calculator can tell you this without having to go to the meetings. Thanks so much!!!

That's cool. I have ordered everything from Ebay, I'm just waiting for them to come in now. It just sounded weird that the calculator can tell you this without having to go to the meetings. Thanks so much!!!

no problem!:D

Hi guys. I thought I would say hello. I have been on the weight watchers programme since last June and I've lost over 3 stone so far. We start the new pro points programme this week and I'm a little nervous and a lot curious. Our meeting is on Wednsday so I am anxious to get started and find out exactly what Iam allowed and what I can and cant do!

your leader will tell you at meetings. If you don't go to meetings you can use one of the vouchers codes that are shown here on minimini to join the 2 weeks free trial and see how many propoints are you supposed to have, or if you don't mind spending a tenner, just buy a WW propoints calculator and you'll see it calculated for you!

Your daily allowance will be different from that if people weighting 12 stone, but the weekly "naughty" allowance will be the same, exactly lime with the old plan you would have been, let's say, on 27 points a day rather than 22 for a 12 stone person, but you would still have been able to only save 4 of those 27 points every day to have a treat :)

How do I get the free trial?

So if the minimum points anyone will ever be on is 29, and I'm currently on 32, how do we lose more weight when it gets difficult? I'm confused, yet managed to lose 16 and half pound in my first week!

I'm dieting alone because I can't get out.

So if the minimum points anyone will ever be on is 29, and I'm currently on 32, how do we lose more weight when it gets difficult? I'm confused, yet managed to lose 16 and half pound in my first week!

I'm dieting alone because I can't get out.

It's going to make dieting when you get closer to goal easier rather than difficult.

Vintage points was based on an old belief that the more you weight the more you need to eat. This was the avant-guarde of the nutrition science 15 years ago.

In 15 years science has moved forward and realised that it's not just what you weight but also the way that your body is composed, how old you are and things like that that influence your metabolism, as well as the way that your body burns food and how much of the calories you eat are left after digestion.

The new propoints system is based on these new discoveries, especially related around how much of the calories in food are left after you finish digestion and things like the GI index and insuline levels in your blood that ensure you feel fuller for longer.

Any dietologist or nutritionist nowadays will tell you that even if you're close to goal you still need to eat a minimum of 1300/1500 calories a day if you want to lose weight but not compromise your metabolism. The new propoints gives a pp value of 29 as a minimum which corresponds to roughly 1300/1500 calories a day depending on how much fruit and veg you eat and how much filling food and proteins you eat.

The old ww was allowing you to have 14p per day as a minimum and when you were thinking at what that meant, considering that 1p was normally between 40 to 69 calories depending on saturated fat, you could be having between 560 and 966 kcal per day if you were having only 14p to save points for the week end. Obviously the vegetables would have gone for free, which meant that you could have added another 200/300 calories of vegetables to that count. But even considered 300 kcal more than the minimum (866 rather than 566), that was less than the minimum recommended as healthy guidelines of 1200 kcal a day and was dangerously close to starvation. Getting to 1200 cal per day by just adding veggies was really having a bit too many vegetables! Of course people would be losing weight, but in a dangerous way that could compromise their metabolism on the long term.

This is why methods like the Wendy plan worked wonders, because they forced people to have different calories every day and especially one day a week when they could top up their metabolism and recover from the starvation mode.

Besides, people were taking advantage of the system using sometimes the points only for naughty stuff and filling themselves up with 0 points soups and vegetables in between (e.g. have 14 points of chocolates and sweets and eat only 0 points veggies to fill up... still following the plan, but was that good for your health?) The new plan discourages this as well giving you the option of free fruit rather than a chocolate bar. Or maybe better, it gives you the slush fund you can use for naughty things so that you can have the healthy guidelines without feeling that you're depriving yourself. I too, when using the old system, often preferred not to have oil for example to save on points, when oil is essential to not feel bloated and constipated. Now I don't have any more problems.

is it any clearer?

"Besides, people were taking advantage of the system using sometimes the points only for naughty stuff and filling themselves up with 0 points soups and vegetables in between (e.g. have 14 points of chocolates and sweets and eat only 0 points veggies to fill up... still following the plan, but was that good for your health?) The new plan discourages this as well giving you the option of free fruit rather than a chocolate bar. Or maybe better, it gives you the slush fund you can use for naughty things so that you can have the healthy guidelines without feeling that you're depriving yourself."

to me though hun these are both the same thing, before people had to earn the right to have treats by saving up or gaining AP to be able to have those treats, now WW have changed it so you can eat normally... and then stuff yourself on treats some more with the 49 weeklies? i dont see the sense in this, and by certain threads on here not everyone is able to eat all the weeklies or some or even any! its so strange, i think WW should have done what Europe did you say it was? who limited the weeklies and put them into sections depending on your weight bracket? this would at least give people a guideline of how many they can actually have!

propoints has totally messed me up lol, ive gone back to not caring what im eating simply because you think '49 weeklies will cover it' and it takes a lot to try and work out the average weeklies your body actually needs to get a good loss it's so weird i know discovery wasn't perfect but at least it was more clear and you had to work for those treats now your just handed em on a plate? ... Like you say before people would say have 14p on chocolate and then stock up on zero point veg etc ... but now people can STILL do that but even more! lol stock up on zero pointed items use 29 dailys on junk ... oh and just eat more junk because the 49 weeklies allow me to do so? i don't see how this plan is any better/different to discovery? sorry just my views ofc and lots of people love propoints but i do believe that the margins of how many weeklies you should be having should be brought in like you say other countries unlike now people are having to waste time trying to work out whats the best way to lose the bigger numbers in reference to the 49 weeklies :D sorry :p xxx

Interesting thread, thanks everyone. I start tomorrow on ProPoints, so looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

SD xx

to me though hun these are both the same thing, before people had to earn the right to have treats by saving up or gaining AP to be able to have those treats, now WW have changed it so you can eat normally... and then stuff yourself on treats some more with the 49 weeklies?

The principle is that after you've had 29 propoints, free fruit, filling foods and the likes, you won't feel as hungry and you won't reach for the chocolate bar. The 49 weekly don't *HAVE* to be eaten, they are there in case you have a night out or in case you just fancy something more one day. The whole principle of forcing you to eat your 29 and giving you free fruit and veg is to fill you up with the good stuff!

And yes, if you want you can over eat and get the banana AND the chocolate bar, but maybe after having had the banana you won't feel as hungry as before and you might think more carefully whether you really want to have the chocolate bar or not.

thing is though hun im seeing everywhere that your not meant to eat more than 3 pieces of fruit a day anyway because of the sugar they contain and the higher cals in fruit like bananas and grapes so therefore its kind of going back on itself... eat as much fruit as you like... oh actually not so much because too much is bad for you also lol not taking away anything from propoints etc just i dont think its any better tbh suppose to be a huge change but its still the same to me anyway! :) and certain ww leaders are telling members they HAVE to eat all their weeklies so there is a mix of signals going around as to what to do best with the weeklies hence i feel the UK ww should of followed the rest of Europe with the different weeklies for different weight brackets :D xxx

i'm going to join on sat but does anyone know what my points will be because i'd like to start now.
i'm 15st 10 and 5ft 4

much appriciated if someone can tell me to get me started. thanks

thing is though hun im seeing everywhere that your not meant to eat more than 3 pieces of fruit a day anyway because of the sugar they contain and the higher cals in fruit like bananas and grapes so therefore its kind of going back on itself... eat as much fruit as you like... oh actually not so much because too much is bad for you also lol not taking away anything from propoints etc just i dont think its any better tbh suppose to be a huge change but its still the same to me anyway! :) and certain ww leaders are telling members they HAVE to eat all their weeklies so there is a mix of signals going around as to what to do best with the weeklies hence i feel the UK ww should of followed the rest of Europe with the different weeklies for different weight brackets :D xxx

it's not a rule set in stone not to have more than 3 pieces of fruit per day. I have most of the time 5 pieces or more, and on the top of that 3 or 4 portions of vegetables, and I'm at goal, maintaining and often losing a lb or 2, even if I don't need to. And I eat all my dailies. I eat most of my weeklies too - or rather, I go at a Chinese buffet on Sunday night and don't worry about the diet too much, and I calculate my 49 gone because I also have a dessert and a starter... I weight just over 8 stone, I've put 3.5 lbs on during my Christmas break (1 month!) and last week I've lost 1 lb already to get back to pre-xmas weight. When I'm peckish, I eat fruit. Normally just 1 banana per day, but I have grapes, apples, clementines, pinapple, kiwis... everything.

Everyone is different, but I wouldn't stop at 3 pieces of fruit per day, especially in the summer when my fave fruits are out. Well, I also love egremont russet apples during the winter...:rolleyes:

The principle is that after you've had 29 propoints, free fruit, filling foods and the likes, you won't feel as hungry and you won't reach for the chocolate bar. The 49 weekly don't *HAVE* to be eaten, they are there in case you have a night out or in case you just fancy something more one day. The whole principle of forcing you to eat your 29 and giving you free fruit and veg is to fill you up with the good stuff!

And yes, if you want you can over eat and get the banana AND the chocolate bar, but maybe after having had the banana you won't feel as hungry as before and you might think more carefully whether you really want to have the chocolate bar or not.
Forgetting the points value, how many calories am I consuming a day?

Small banana and herbal tea = 0pp
WW Hotpot =6 pp
2 x WW cream cheese on WW Danish and a green salad =6 pp

I just calculated my total food consumption to be 560 calories in the meals above, so if I ate 29 pp and also consumed more fruit and veg would it take me to 2000 calories a day?

I just calculated my total food consumption to be 560 calories in the meals above, so if I ate 29 pp and also consumed more fruit and veg would it take me to 2000 calories a day?

you should be eating A LOT of fruit and veg to get to 2000 calories per day. I normally log my calorie intake daily on Sparkpeople as well as on WW and when I have 29pp, even with app the veg and fruit that I have (and I normally have over 1Kg of vegetables per day PLUS fruit!) I normally hit around 1400/1500 calories, which is perfectly acceptable for losing weight.

Now, it's some time I forget to log my eating on Sparkpeople, but you can have a look here just to have an example, it's what I ate on the 8th of December:

GIULIAFANCELLI's Shared Food & Fitness Tracker - Wednesday, December 08, 2010

As you will see if you keep on looking at the daily intake, my daily calories are roughly 1400/1500, except when I go to the restaurant or things like that which I can't really count for.

you should be eating A LOT of fruit and veg to get to 2000 calories per day. I normally log my calorie intake daily on Sparkpeople as well as on WW and when I have 29pp, even with app the veg and fruit that I have (and I normally have over 1Kg of vegetables per day PLUS fruit!) I normally hit around 1400/1500 calories, which is perfectly acceptable for losing weight.

Now, it's some time I forget to log my eating on Sparkpeople, but you can have a look here just to have an example, it's what I ate on the 8th of December:

GIULIAFANCELLI's Shared Food & Fitness Tracker - Wednesday, December 08, 2010

As you will see if you keep on looking at the daily intake, my daily calories are roughly 1400/1500, except when I go to the restaurant or things like that which I can't really count for.
Then I must say I envy you. If I eat more than 1000 a day my weight remains static, or I gain. If I eat less than a 1000 I lose weight, but to really lose weight I've always had to go below 700 calories per day and at times down to as low as 200. My life is quite sedentary due to feet problems but I'm now walking a mile a day. I simply couldn't lose weight on 29pp a day and you can put me in a lab to prove it.

Back