Ipod car help

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
Can anyone advise what i need to buy so that my ipod will work in the car. My radio will expire next year due to DAB, so can i buy something that will allow my ipod to play in the car?

tara40 said:
Can anyone advise what i need to buy so that my ipod will work in the car. My radio will expire next year due to DAB, so can i buy something that will allow my ipod to play in the car?

Does that mean all non-dab radios expire next year?
I have a parrot system, it's Bluetooth for the phone and has several connections for different iPods, phones and mp3s. I think they cost about £100 and about £30 installation but I had mine as a crimbo present so not 100% sure. The model I have is something like mki-100. Pretty good device if you ask me :)

All you really need is either a USB socket or an auxilliary (mini-jack) socket on your radio to plug in any mp3/mobile phone etc.

Top tip - take your ipod and cables with you when looking for a radio - you may then even be able to try them out with your favourite bit of music to test the sound

Last edited:
When will FM be switched off?

just a little article about DAB and FM i found.

I have an old stereo and a little Tuner. I connect my iphone, set the tuner to 99.9 and then adjust my stereo to that channel. It then plays my music on that frequency - i think it cost me about £20!

You can buy more advanced ones but they cost £100 upwards. I think it depends what you are after.

Thanks Ellebear for that link. Good to know that FM will be around for a while yet - I was panicking a bit there!

I have a small portable DAB radio in the flat, but mostly I listen to the radio in the car - my car is ten years old, and not likely to be replaced any time soon, and I would hate to be without Classic FM when I am driving.

The wireless device for doing this is called iTrip. It plugs into the bottom of the ipod/iphone and you just select a frequency of "blank" air (which will be plentiful!) and match the frequency of the iTrip to the one on the stereo, press play on the ipod and off you go. You do have to keep them relatively close together to get a decent uninterrupted signal but on the passenger seat or somewhere on the dashboard works fine.

You can pick them up as cheaply as less than a tenner on Amazon.

MadameLaMinx said:
The wireless device for doing this is called iTrip. It plugs into the bottom of the ipod/iphone and you just select a frequency of "blank" air (which will be plentiful!) and match the frequency of the iTrip to the one on the stereo, press play on the ipod and off you go. You do have to keep them relatively close together to get a decent uninterrupted signal but on the passenger seat or somewhere on the dashboard works fine.

I could never use these coz where I live we pick up ALOT of radio stations so it was always getting cut into. That's why I ended up buying the parrot, that and my job meant I was on the road a lot more so needed a Bluetooth connection.

In dreading it DAB is too hit and miss and is affected by the weather just like digital tv!
Progress is not always a good thing, I hear they're making cassettes again for people who dont like CDs!

Back