Irregular periods!?

WhitePigeon

Silver Member
Hi all,

Sorry if this is too much information but you guys seem a knowledgeable bunch and may have had this issue before...

For the past year or so, I've been having every few months, two periods in one month? I'll have my normal period and then 3 days after it stops, I'll have a shorter 5 day one. I've changed the pill during this time as the practice nurse said that it might help but 4 months after changing the pill and I'm still having strange periods. She also suggested *TMI* that I should be tested to check I didn't have an STD as irregular periods can be a sign of one but the test results came back negative.

I've also mentioned it to the doctor who assured me that it's very common and suggested I was probably stressed with being so busy at university but tbh, I'm on holiday from uni at the moment and I don't feel stressed?!?

I just wondered if any of you had experience of this and if it resolved by itself eventually or whether I'd be best going back to the GP?

Many thanks in anticipation, and sorry it was a bit rambly!

I used to suffer with irregular periods, but more of I never knew when it would come. I went to the doctors and they put me on the pill. that sorted me out brilliantly xx

Hope you get sorted out xx

This prob isn't on topic but when I started SW the first 2-3 months I was getting my period every 2-3 days and it's Happening to my sister at the moment too. When I spoke to my doctor she said it may be because of my weight loss was so fact at the start thAt it knocked my hormones off balance after a few months they settled out. Sorry if this didn't help just wanted to reply x

Thanks both, it's just nice to get people's opinions really. I worry about going to the GP unneccesarily as I'm quite the worrier!

I'm going to wait and see how it goes, the '2nd period' has stopped today so going to record in my diary and see when the next one is. I have been exercising loads recently, e.g. 5 times a week for an hour or so at a time which is far more than I was doing previously so maybe that could have affected it again?

Thanks again ladies.

I'd seriously consider either the injection or the implant even if things settle down. I have been on one or the other for 12 years, with the exception of one hideous month on the minipill. No periods, no period pain, very slight pmt.

Beautifulmess said:
So far taking my current pill 3 months in a row has stopped my pmt, if it restarted I doubt I could do anything about it. She just doesn't listen to me properly. She downgraded the counsellor I saw when I said we'd come to the conclusion it was caused by pmt by saying your counsellor isn't a medical expert is she? Shiz man.,. Neither are you in my eyes... Lol

I'm not one to complain about the NHS usually, but GP's do in general seem to be as much use as a chocolate teapot. I have a good GP who doesn't just throw pills at you, but even he on occasion makes my blood boil.

On the implant thing - i can't tell you how much better i feel having gone on it. I used to have a 21 day cycle. 1 week ok, 1 week pmt, 1 week heavy period with stomach cramps & back ache the entire time, repeat. I can still remember it 12 years on (& so can hubby, who freely admits that i was a complete nightmare to live with).

Yup - altogether. Though to be honest, the symptons you are describing, whilst no doubt excaserbated by PMT sound more like depression. Changing your pill might help, but won't get rid of it I'm afraid.

If your GP won't refer you to counselling I'd suggest going privately. I initially went to a charity, where I paid a nominal amount (£5-£10 a session) & it was very helpful. I also went to a life coach for a short time (paid for by work due to being signed off with stress), which usually I would think is a bit mumbo jumbo, but again, very useful.

Go and get An ultra sound done on your ovaries just to rule out any cysts..

Also- weight loss will help massively.. I didn't have a period at all last year and sine losing weight this yea I'm getting a period more often now, still not every month but it is more frequent than last year.

Beautifulmess said:
No, but when I work I thought we had too...? My friend had to pay for hers whilst she was at uni... £6 every 3 months?

All contraception is available free for everyone on the NHS. xx

Roziee said:
Go and get An ultra sound done on your ovaries just to rule out any cysts..

Also- weight loss will help massively.. I didn't have a period at all last year and sine losing weight this yea I'm getting a period more often now, still not every month but it is more frequent than last year.

It's funny you should mention cysts as when I was 12/13 I suffered with severe abdominal pain quite often, in the end, it got so bad that I was admitted to hospital and they said then after an ultrasound that I had a few cysts on my ovaries so it may be worth considering if this could be the case again.

Beautifulmess said:
My pmt basicly makes me feel insecure, upset and anxious I need constant reassurance and attention from my boyfriend, I worry about things that don't bother me usually and develop phobias... My last one wad fear of death and being murdered :-/ it actually lasted past my pmt as it's such s strong phobia bug it's almost gone now...

My doctor is reluctant to give any medicine. She wouldn't change my pill even though I researched that a yasmin one was better for extreme pmt, she laughs and says every women suffers with it, even her... Meh lol I am considering the implant now though as it's cheaper than pills and I won't forget to take one. Did your periods stop all to gether

Hi hun are you on microgynon currently? It has a green packet when i took it. I moved from that onto yasmin. The periods are a lot shorter, but in terms of pmt i havent noticed a great improvement tbh. I now take my packs back to back without having a break unless i run out which i have this week!! Doh!!!

Beautifulmess said:
Yeah thats the one, the most common, my doctor won't change me from it other to the inplant which I'm considering.
xxx

Could you not ask to see someone else? Dont feel you have to be pushed into the implant. Everytime i go to the doctors for my pill check up they ram this down my throat. I will hopefully have not much use for the pill for a little while after this prescription tho!!

In quite lucky in that i go to a surgery with 5-6 doctors. I have one woman like that who is useless with womens things. I saw her ages ago when i was worried about my pill effecting my sex drive and making me put on weight, and she brushed it all off. Turns out that one (celest or something) is notorious for it! When i got put on yasmin i saw a great chap who was brilliant. Got me loads of tests done cos i was spotting and suggested yasmin straight away based on my previous problems.

You can get the pill from family planning apparently, so i dont know if thats something worth looking into?

Just to put my two-penneth worth it….

I know everyone is different and our bodies handle things in their own ways but I will never, ever get the implant in ever again! I have had it in for 3 years and it is due out at the end of this month and it can't come soon enough
Only now that it is coming towards the end of it's life and the hormone must be running out can I see what a difference it made to me. I feel like I have been in a bad mood for 3 years! - well, not quite that extreme but I know I was running on a short fuse and my patience was near zero. It's hard to explain but I just feel calmer and a much happier person now. The 2 major benefits I found were no periods (occasional spotting but even this was rare) and not having to remember to take my pill. The negatives were severe bad moods, really bad skin and I found it really hard to lose weight (put 2 stone on since having it put in but I think that was down to getting older and becoming too comfortable with OH!- but it was hard to shift this time last year and has felt easier this time round)

On the flip side, I know a couple of people who swear by the implant and have no side effects - I think it's a case of suck it and see! I hope you find the right solution soon xx

Beautifulmess said:
What was the pill that lowered you sex drive?

I once went to mine about pain during sex and she shrugged that off too!! I sometimes wonder if I'll get something serious and she'll dismiss it until I die or something :-s I asked the receptionist if I could change doctors and she said I have to write to the branch manager xx

Cant remember now tbh hun cos it was a few years ago and i was only on it a matter of weeks. It began with c and was in a purple and white packet.

My 2 penneth for what it's worth.

I had Dianette when I was 14 for my acne, then when it was discovered it was one of the "bad 7" that was supposed to cause the blood clots (god, that was about 15 years ago now) I was put on Cilest. It was a little purple/blue pill. Hated it, threw me all over the place and wrecked my cycle. Had it for 6 months and then it was changed to something else. Can't remember what that was called but after 6 months I got thrush EVERY month. Changed from that to Mycrogynon 30 and had that for about 4 years until the thrush came back after every period, every month. The handy thing about Mycrogynon is that everyone is prescribed it so if you're out and about with the girls someone always had a packet if you forgot one! The reason why everyone has it is because it's apparently the cheapest which is probably why the doctors are prescribing it the most.

Personally, I got so fed up of the period/thrush combination I came off it completely and now use absolutely nothing. I have a very understanding boyfriend who is more than happy to "wrap up".

I waffled a bit then sorry. Just wanted to say that Cilest was awful and Mycrogygnon is the cheapest. In fact, I probably just should have said that!!

HelsAngel said:
My 2 penneth for what it's worth.

I had Dianette when I was 14 for my acne, then when it was discovered it was one of the "bad 7" that was supposed to cause the blood clots (god, that was about 15 years ago now) I was put on Cilest. It was a little purple/blue pill. Hated it, threw me all over the place and wrecked my cycle. Had it for 6 months and then it was changed to something else. Can't remember what that was called but after 6 months I got thrush EVERY month. Changed from that to Mycrogynon 30 and had that for about 4 years until the thrush came back after every period, every month. The handy thing about Mycrogynon is that everyone is prescribed it so if you're out and about with the girls someone always had a packet if you forgot one! The reason why everyone has it is because it's apparently the cheapest which is probably why the doctors are prescribing it the most.

Personally, I got so fed up of the period/thrush combination I came off it completely and now use absolutely nothing. I have a very understanding boyfriend who is more than happy to "wrap up".

I waffled a bit then sorry. Just wanted to say that Cilest was awful and Mycrogygnon is the cheapest. In fact, I probably just should have said that!!

That was the evil one i was on, cilest i think!!

Completely going off this topic, hoe have you find it coming off the pill? Im looking to come off in a few months, worried about how it will effect me!

Funky_Munky said:
That was the evil one i was on, cilest i think!!

Completely going off this topic, hoe have you find it coming off the pill? Im looking to come off in a few months, worried about how it will effect me!

To be honest, it's fine. My cycle is weird anyway, always has been. It's normally a 23 day cycle (rubbish for * week WI's!) I have an app called My Days which helps plan when it's due. The pains can be quite bad which were controlled to some extent with the pill but all in all, it's ok. The only thing I miss about it is taking a packet straight through for holidays and stuff.

Back