Is breakfast really worth it?

Hi,

This may seem like a stupid question, as the experts always say "don't skip breakfast." I usually have 2 weetabix every morning with 200ml semi skimmed milk. I have tried just having a coffee instead of cereal, then using the 235 cals later on in the day when I'm hungry.

Does anyone else skip breakfast and if so, how do you feel later on in the day? Do you feel more likely to snack? Should I maybe try a higher protein breakfast instead?

Thanks very much for reading.

I think the whole idea of having a breakfast is highly over rated altho' the main idea is that boosting ones sugar levels will help in aiding better work performance. My D prefers a couple of cups of real coffee and nothing else whereas I usually go for just an ounce of cereal with approx 4ml of semi skimmed milk especially as I have to take meds first thing.
It's a matter of choice really.

I try not to eat anything until at least 10am, then just snack on dry cereal throughout the morning. Works for me! xx

Good question. I'm on the fence I'm afraid. I never used to be a breakfast person but now I'll have a 30g portion of cereal with a bit of skimmed milk just to get me started in the morning, i think I'm just trying to make some better habits rather than not really eating all day then going crazy at night like I used to. I do sometimes think though that having breakfast makes me hungry if that makes sense :rolleyes: like I'm okay until I eat. Interesting to read other people's opinions it.

Breakfast is just about kick-starting your metabolism in the morning. Your metabolism slows down as you sleep and until you eat something it stays slowed down. Or so I've read :)

I'm a strong believer in only eat when you're hungry. I generally don't eat anything until about 10.30am because I don't really fancy anything until then. On the occassions when I have had breakfast at 7.30am I find that I am ravenous by 9.30am and need to eat more and this just seems siily.

So my view is if you fancy breakfast have it and if you don't then wait until you're hungry.

I stumbled across this.

Is breakfast really worth it?

I have been adopting some intermittent fasting ideas, so skipping breakfast is fine with me. Most of the time I will get up at 5am and eat my first meal between 14:00 and 16:00. What this has taught me is that over time, your body will begin to adapt to whatever eating patterns you throw at it. I don't feel hungry at all until I eat my first bite of food in the afternoon, then I will chomp away on whatever I am eating. For this reason, it's important that the first thing I eat is something like a big pile of low calorie vegetables. Once that has been eaten, I then no longer feel hungry. :)

Breakfast is just about kick-starting your metabolism in the morning. Your metabolism slows down as you sleep and until you eat something it stays slowed down. Or so I've read :)

I have read some articles around this subject as well. It's a commonly held belief that eating will increase your metabolism. You eat food, your body digests the food, and uses energy (calories) in the process. This has been referred to as the Thermic Effect of Food, so the advice is to 'eat little and often' to keep your metabolism going. The only problem is that the amount of energy burned by the Thermic Effect of Food is proportional to the amount of food being eaten, so if you eat 1000 calories in one sitting, your body will have to use an equivalent amount of energy to digest the food.

In short, you can save up your calories for a big meal and still stay lean. :D

I have read some articles around this subject as well. It's a commonly held belief that eating will increase your metabolism. You eat food, your body digests the food, and uses energy (calories) in the process. This has been referred to as the Thermic Effect of Food, so the advice is to 'eat little and often' to keep your metabolism going. The only problem is that the amount of energy burned by the Thermic Effect of Food is proportional to the amount of food being eaten, so if you eat 1000 calories in one sitting, your body will have to use an equivalent amount of energy to digest the food.

In short, you can save up your calories for a big meal and still stay lean. :D

OOh I like this idea. I'm saving up my cals today for a takeaway later....yummy!

Thank-you all very much for your replies. It is very interesting to read all your opinions.

This morning, I waited for 2 hours, then ate 250 cals of cold chicken pasta salad. It was much nicer than cereal and I haven't felt hungry all day. I'm just going to take each day at a time and see what mood I'm in.

Thanks again and I appreciate all your posts.

If your hungry then eat it, but I guess, when I'm home on a day off I don't have breakfast, (if I'm hungry I will) I have started to see food as just fuel obviously I still enjoy food, but if I don't have breakkie when I'm working (i work in a busy cafe) I will faint from no intake of food for energy which is quite worrying, (it's happened to me twice) so I mean it all depends on the person, but don't just not eat it cos you think your banking calories, feeling energyless and lethargic isn't nice, remember on average we go without food over night for 8-9 hours, hence the term breaking the 'fast' so unless you eat a lot right before bed, I'm not sure how most people can't not be hungry by morning lol x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ive been asking myself the same question recently. When I do eat breakfast I find I feel hungry for my lunch earlier. Ive just done so many diets that tell you you have to eat breakfast that I feel guilty for not. Would drinking green tea on a morning not kick start the metabolism? Im thinking of stopping breakfast.

I only eat breakfast now if I'm hungry, same with lunch and dinner. I just listen to my body rather than eat at a regimented time, as I find if I eat when I'm not really hungry I just start grazing and end up eating constantly all day.

I always find that on days that I do have breakfast I then feel hungry and keep eating all day whereas if I don't eat until lunchtime I will have a big lunch but then won't be hungry again for a long time. So normally it's just a big mug of fresh coffee for me and that's it :)

Surely the reason you feel hungier after having breakfast is because the metabolism has kicked in? I have to have breakfast each morning. My breakfast consists of a serving of bran flakes in hot water with cinnamon. The water, if left, soaks into the branflakes and you end up with something like weatbix. So, a 100 cal breakfast for me :eek:)

But then I won't stop eating all day?! I'm better off waiting :) but everyone's so different!

BrightonBetty said:
But then I won't stop eating all day?! I'm better off waiting :) but everyone's so different!

I agree, I always feel much hungrier in the mornings if I eat breakfast, so I now always wait until 10 or 11. x

If I eat breakfast then I get really really hungry by about 10:30 and end up having something extra then. Which means less calories for rest of the day.

On a week day I tend to have a yogurt or cereal bar at 10 ish - today I've had a cup of soup!

I do eat brekkie at the weekends but at about 9:30 -10 and that only to be sociable with family!

Back