Is halloumi a B on green?

Yeah, we had a thread on this about a week or so ago, it's near the bottom of the B drop-down menu but its not in the book. I had low fat halloumi for tea yesterday as a HEXB :)

Have you 'fried' Halloumi in frylight? If so, what does it come out like? I looooooove Halloumi, but have only ever had it fried in a generous amount of oil!

It was yummy, but Ive only tried it once, so I cant say if its as good as fried in proper oil.

Not a very good pic but... the halloumi is on top of the lentils. I think I overcooked it a bit tho :

5947043893_a02aebf660_o.jpg

Yep, SW recipe. Not bad, I would make it again, but probably adapt the lentil sauce to my own version.

Was that just 1 HEB amount ermintrude or did you use both HEB's for it or syn more?

Looks like more than i expected for that weight and if its just 1HEB i could easily have that in a pitta with my other HEB! :eat:

I too stumbled across it on the HE list and got v excited lol

Spanx said:
Have you 'fried' Halloumi in frylight? If so, what does it come out like? I looooooove Halloumi, but have only ever had it fried in a generous amount of oil!

I'm sure fry light would work, but it really doesn't need frying, comes out just as good grilling :)

Was that just 1 HEB amount ermintrude or did you use both HEB's for it or syn more?

Looks like more than i expected for that weight and if its just 1HEB i could easily have that in a pitta with my other HEB! :eat:

I too stumbled across it on the HE list and got v excited lol

Yep, that's one HEXB. That's low fat halloumi, you get 42g. I slice it quite thin, about 2-3 mm and I get about 3 slices, 15g each. Had it again with another recipe at the w/e: (bit burnt, was slightly squiffy! :eek: :D )

5994074848_03aa10a903_o.jpg

Yeah, Id be scared of lighting one in my kitchen tho :D

Yeah, falafels at the front, made of butternut squash & chickpeas. At the back are some carrot & coriander fritters (underneath the halloumi) but I was mildly pi**ed when I took the photo/cooked it, so a) you cant see anything b) its burnt. :eek: :D

Butternut squash falafels:

- 500g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- small bunch parsley (leaves only), chopped
- small bunch coriander (leaves only), chopped
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin

- Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6
- Season BNS with plenty of salt & pepper and roast in fry Light for 35min or until soft & caramelised
- Put chickpeas, garlic, bicarb, parsley, herbs and spices in a food processor and whizz to a rough paste (you'll have to keep opening it and scraping it down as it sticks to the sides cos there no liquid in there)
- When the BNS is done, roughly mash it with a fork and add to the chickpea mix in a big bowl, Season, mix well and leave in the fridge for 30 min +.
- When you're ready to cook roll the mix into about 16 balls, spray with Fry Light and cook on a lined baking sheet for 15-20 min until golden underneath.

Mine didn't turn out at all crispy but as I say I was slightly squiffy so that could explain a lot. :D Next time I might try a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil drizzled over them like it says in the original recipe (HEXB) and/or also cook them for longer/higher heat.

I actually liked the fritters better which you can't see on the pic. Here they are half-cooked:

5998218254_798e5c606e_o.jpg

Carrot, coriander & halloumi fritters:
- 50g halloumi, coarsely grated (I used light) - 6.5 syns for 12 fritters so 0.5 syns each (or use as HEXB on Green)
- 3 large carrots, coarsely grated (I think it would be good to leave these to dry out a bit - maybe roll and squeeze them in a tea towel?)
- 5 spring onions, finely sliced
- small bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted & crushed
- 20g gram flour (you can use plain) (3 syns)
- 2 eggs beaten (personally I dont think anywhere near this much was necessary - maybe half an egg would be plenty)

To serve:
- 200g halloumi slices if you want them (42g low fat halloumi is 1 HEXB on Green)

Put all fritter ingredients in a bowl, season with salt & pepper, mix well and form into 12 round, flat cakes. Lay on a lined tray and chill for 30 min+.

I seriously thought these wouldn't work when I was 'shaping' them as the recipe suggests, as they were literally a pile of carrot gratings falling apart and I was positive there was an error in the recipe, in fact I still think there probably is. I nearly baked them instead but thought Id test one on the skillet and it worked. I still dont think there was *any* point in the shaping/chilling thing as there's no way in the world these will go firm on this amount of egg and flour, especially without drying the carrots out. Basically I just got a handful as flat as I could, sprayed it at close range with about 8 sprays of Fry light, put it on a hot skillet and pressed it down with a fish slice for a few seconds and cooked on high heat for 2 min. That allowed it to hold just enough to pick it up really carefully with a fish slice, spray the other side and repeat. 2 min on each side and they were done and they are yummmmm :) I could do 4 at a time on my skillet (recipe makes 12).

At the end you slice the rest of the halloumi into thin slices and fry in fry Light for 2 min each side on the skillet again.

Both these recipes are from vegetarian by Alice Hart btw: Vegetarian: Amazon.co.uk: Alice Hart: Books

Back