is is safe to bake with sweetener?

eye6769

Vegetarian who lives2eat
After reading the thread on diet coke chicken and that it is dangerous to cook with sweetner as it converts to formaldehyde and stores up in the body causing really bad side effects, is it safe to bake with sugar replacements i,e brownies and chocolate cake?

I have been baking a lot lately and am now quite concerned that I could be doing myself harm.

I'm not sure on replacing sugar with sweetner in baking, as in the quantities etc. There are a few cake recipes in the SW mags and on the website but with regards to cooking with sweetener then I guess it's up to you....

I know people who avoid all artificial sweeteners especially aspartame due to the fact that they are banned in other countries and choose to have full fat/full sugar varieties over diet products but this is their choice.

We can cut so many things out of our diets if we choose to believe everything we hear - eggs, pork products, anything non organic, and so on. It's our choice - I'm a firm believer in the fact that if it wasn't safe, then we wouldn't be "allowed" these products and with regards to baking with sweetener, i'm sure SW wouldn't feature it in their recipes.

It's my opinion though..... !

Reactions: Taz
A quick google brought up loads of pages saying that it's perfectly safe, if pointless, to bake with aspartame based sweeteners. Aspartame breaks down when heated and loses its sweetness to some degree.

Splenda is made with sucralose and is perfectly suitable for baking with:

SPLENDA® Low Calorie Sweetener | Recipes Baking

I must have missed the thread where it says the diet coke chicken isn't safe. I have only made it once but I don't like the thought of it being dangerous

diet coke chicken????lol

its states that aspartemen turns to methanol at temperture above 30 deg and then that turns to formaldehyde,which I think is what they put in your body to embalm it, yuk, scary stuff, I know that it is granulated sweetner as well so is it the same, come on all you closet scientists give us the facts.

Splenda is safe to bake with, Anthony W-T has a book specifically for baking with splenda

the sugar substitute I bought from Asda is the only one they stock and it is made with aspartemene, Splenda must have different ingredients, will look it up and throw out Asda s..t

Aspartame, the main ingredient in Equal and NutraSweet, is responsible for the most serious cases of poisoning, because the body actually digests it. Aspartame should be avoided by most women, but particularly in those with neuropsychiatric concerns. Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. I think any amount of formaldehyde in your brain is too much.
Aspartame has had the most complaints of any food additive available to the public. It’s been linked with MS, lupus, fibromyalgia and other central nervous disorders. Possible side effects of aspartame include headaches, migraines, panic attacks, dizziness, irritability, nausea, intestinal discomfort, skin rash, and nervousness. Some researchers have linked aspartame with depression and manic episodes. It may also contribute to male infertility
Aspartame, the main ingredient in Equal and NutraSweet, is responsible for the most serious cases of poisoning, because the body actually digests it. Aspartame should be avoided by most women, but particularly in those with neuropsychiatric concerns. Recent studies in Europe show that aspartame use can result in an accumulation of formaldehyde in the brain, which can damage your central nervous system and immune system and cause genetic trauma. The FDA admits this is true, but claims the amount is low enough in most that it shouldn’t raise concern. I think any amount of formaldehyde in your brain is too much.
Aspartame has had the most complaints of any food additive available to the public. It’s been linked with MS, lupus, fibromyalgia and other central nervous disorders. Possible side effects of aspartame include headaches, migraines, panic attacks, dizziness, irritability, nausea, intestinal discomfort, skin rash, and nervousness. Some researchers have linked aspartame with depression and manic episodes. It may also contribute to male infertility

its strange but since I have been usuing sweetner or eating products with it in I have woke up everyday with hangover like symptoms, headache,really dry mouth and that woozy feeling after a lot of alcohol. I know now why, sweetner is in all my 'diet' products and I thought I was being healthy.

And that's why some of my friends avoid it!

Each to their own though, if your body is okay with it then have it, if not then don't.

I guess it's like any intolerance!

They tell us it's bad to have more than 2 eggs a week due to cholestrol levels, I have 2 a day most days and mine is fine.....

Eat well and healthily, avoid the things you don't like or those which don't agree with you and enjoy those which do. :)

I rarely have diet soft drinks now and have flavoured water instead which had natural flavours and sucralose.

With the eggs, they recently back-tracked on that and now say eggs don't raise your cholesterol level! 'They' can never make up 'their' minds and are forever telling us one thing one minute and another the next. If we believed everything 'they' told us we would never eat or drink anything and would never dare to breathe!

Just a quick tip. I 've found aspartame free chewing gum on ebay, called Zapp Gum. It helps stop picking and wanting sweet stuff after a meal. It contains only healthy stuff and you can get different flavours including mint! Much better for you. It's the only one though. Every single other gum has aspartame in!

I rarely have diet soft drinks now and have flavoured water instead which had natural flavours and sucralose.

With the eggs, they recently back-tracked on that and now say eggs don't raise your cholesterol level! 'They' can never make up 'their' minds and are forever telling us one thing one minute and another the next. If we believed everything 'they' told us we would never eat or drink anything and would never dare to breathe!

Not actually true. "They" didn't back track over eggs, further research showed that it's ok to eat more than x amount. "They" aren't out to get you, it's just that technology and research develop and the scientists discover new things all the time.

Its a fact that Aspartame IS bad for you, really, really bad. There is factual evidence that supports this and you just can't argue with it. You might not care and figure it's a risk worth taking but it still doesn't change the fact that it causes all sorts of health issues.

No different to when in the past no-one believed that smoking was bad for you. Who's right now?

It is my major issue with SW, the positive encouragment given to eating certain foods (thinking things like Muller lights, pasta n sauce etc) that actually are bad for you and not healthy. Pasta n sauce is processed crap - real food doesn't come from a packet! Muller lights etc with the sweetners and other crap in them.

Yes you'll loose weight by eating a ton of that crap as its less calories, but the long term effects of putting that into your body aren't good. It effectively forces a choice between your weight and your health and that is the issue that many nutrionists have with slimming clubs.

I have used splenda since it came out as I used to eat alot of canderel and it did worry me a bit. Spenda is based on a sugar I think rather than aspartamine.

I must say that my CC has never told the class to eat pasta-sauces, mullers, etc.
this diet is like every other diet, they give you the plan, and you interperate it how you want to. 99% of what I eat is fresh, healthy food, and it's up to me if I decide, that because certain other foods are free I want to use them.
Everything in moderation is the key to all the "extra" free foods that are not listed in the front of the books!

Chefs use sweetner in most of their baking to make it OK for diabetics- im sure its safe.. like anything just eat it in moderation- too much fat makes use fat... too much sugar causes other side effects now too much sweetner..hmmm i say do what u think but in moderation xxx

Not actually true. "They" didn't back track over eggs, further research showed that it's ok to eat more than x amount. "They" aren't out to get you, it's just that technology and research develop and the scientists discover new things all the time.
Further research led to a back track as they told us all eggs were bad before completing the research. I am well aware that science is ongoing but sometimes they release information before tests are complete leading to hysteria

Its a fact that Aspartame IS bad for you, really, really bad. There is factual evidence that supports this and you just can't argue with it. You might not care and figure it's a risk worth taking but it still doesn't change the fact that it causes all sorts of health issues.
I'm not arguing that fact but in what quantity? If it was as bad as people say then why is it not banned? I think the real danger is in higher doses

No different to when in the past no-one believed that smoking was bad for you. Who's right now?
Again, the product of lack of research

It is my major issue with SW, the positive encouragment given to eating certain foods (thinking things like Muller lights, pasta n sauce etc) that actually are bad for you and not healthy. Pasta n sauce is processed crap - real food doesn't come from a packet! Muller lights etc with the sweetners and other crap in them.
I cook fresh most of the time. We are encouraged by our SWC to use raw ingredients more than anything processed

Yes you'll loose weight by eating a ton of that crap as its less calories, but the long term effects of putting that into your body aren't good. It effectively forces a choice between your weight and your health and that is the issue that many nutrionists have with slimming clubs.
It has nothing to do with slimming clubs. SW encourages healthy eating without deprivation. Many people who go it alone just cut calories and eat nothing but ready meals and pre packed stuff so they can count the calories with no nutritional thought.

Last edited:
not sure about the sweetner but its deff put me off a bit have a lot of the symptoms listed as side effects and just put it down to my medical probs but who knows i might lay of it for a bit and see if it helps i suffer from a lot of headaches nausea dizziness and that hangover feeling without the drink , deff gonna try splenda for baking although its quiet expensive i usualy buy asdas own brand will report back with any findings lol

Back