is it better to be over or under?

For me personally. If I don't stay on the higher end of my calories, I get hungry but am not very good at reading & responding to my body signals so I end up bingeing. I'm now trying to push myself to eat more to prevent this happening.

One way of doing it is to stick to a slightly higher limit for a bit, and see if it's working.

To be honest, ive done a lot of reading on this, and whilst calories matter, your body is not a calculator, and one extra biscuit a day will not result in a massive weight gain - for example, it's estimated that on average, we consume an extra 500 calories more a day than our grandparents did. If you consume an extra 500 cals a day over the 30 (or whatever!) years you've been alive, and one lb of fat is 3500 stored calories, you'd be over 900lbs heavier! Which obviously isn't so...

So whilst calories count, what you do with them is more important - the calories only end up as fat if you store them. Which is why we all know skinny people who eat loads and don't put on weight - they just don't store it as easily. There are lots of things that affect this storage:

- body composition (muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue even if you're not moving about)
- macronutrient composition of what youre eating (some people store carbs more easily than others, for example, and my ex husband just can't store carbs as fat easily which is why he eats huge bowls of pasta and is only 9 stone!!!)
- how often you're eating - when you eat, particularly sugars or simple carbs, you release insulin, and whilst there is insulin in your bloodstream, you cannot burn fat (insulin puts glucose into fat cells, and other places, and whilst that's happening, you can't also release it from your fat cells). So eating too frequently can be detrimental to fat burning because you are constantly releasing insulin
- type of exercise you're doing - high intensity releases hormones which help with muscle growth and appetite control

There's probably more but I cant think if them of the top of my head.

One key theory is that your body, unless you force it, will try and keep your body in stable conditions (homeostasis), including your body weight. So it will resist losing weight, but it will also resist gaining weight and try and stick to certain set points (which is why, despite eating like a pig most of my life, I'm not 20 stone overweight, just 5...its also why If youve lost 5lbs because of a stomach but, you seem to put exactly the same amount of weight back on) Apparently your body does this through adjusting your metabolism. So what you need to do is try and reset your set point. It makes sense but ive probably oversimplified it.

Anyway, since understanding more of this, I've been a lot more successful in losing weight, but I've also had to cut a lot of processed food out of my diet. So worth it though!

There's a whole stack of resources I can recommend for anyone who wants further info....

Hope this is helpful to someone!

Is love more info. I really need to short this out. Brilliantly written though very helpful.

I think I'm going to try and ignore the numbers and log and plan as I go. Like planning meals really helps me keep tabs on wright loss. It's finding a balance I think. Once I can go back to the gym (had surgery 10 days ago) I will have a better idea of how much to eat. I think I'm just to focused on hitting the cal number on the app its like my obsession so I need to pull back and maybe try and relax.

Phoenyx said:
For me personally. If I don't stay on the higher end of my calories, I get hungry but am not very good at reading & responding to my body signals so I end up bingeing. I'm now trying to push myself to eat more to prevent this happening.

One way of doing it is to stick to a slightly higher limit for a bit, and see if it's working.

To be honest, ive done a lot of reading on this, and whilst calories matter, your body is not a calculator, and one extra biscuit a day will not result in a massive weight gain - for example, it's estimated that on average, we consume an extra 500 calories more a day than our grandparents did. If you consume an extra 500 cals a day over the 30 (or whatever!) years you've been alive, and one lb of fat is 3500 stored calories, you'd be over 900lbs heavier! Which obviously isn't so...

So whilst calories count, what you do with them is more important - the calories only end up as fat if you store them. Which is why we all know skinny people who eat loads and don't put on weight - they just don't store it as easily. There are lots of things that affect this storage:

- body composition (muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue even if you're not moving about)
- macronutrient composition of what youre eating (some people store carbs more easily than others, for example, and my ex husband just can't store carbs as fat easily which is why he eats huge bowls of pasta and is only 9 stone!!!)
- how often you're eating - when you eat, particularly sugars or simple carbs, you release insulin, and whilst there is insulin in your bloodstream, you cannot burn fat (insulin puts glucose into fat cells, and other places, and whilst that's happening, you can't also release it from your fat cells). So eating too frequently can be detrimental to fat burning because you are constantly releasing insulin
- type of exercise you're doing - high intensity releases hormones which help with muscle growth and appetite control

There's probably more but I cant think if them of the top of my head.

One key theory is that your body, unless you force it, will try and keep your body in stable conditions (homeostasis), including your body weight. So it will resist losing weight, but it will also resist gaining weight and try and stick to certain set points (which is why, despite eating like a pig most of my life, I'm not 20 stone overweight, just 5...its also why If youve lost 5lbs because of a stomach but, you seem to put exactly the same amount of weight back on) Apparently your body does this through adjusting your metabolism. So what you need to do is try and reset your set point. It makes sense but ive probably oversimplified it.

Anyway, since understanding more of this, I've been a lot more successful in losing weight, but I've also had to cut a lot of processed food out of my diet. So worth it though!

There's a whole stack of resources I can recommend for anyone who wants further info....

Hope this is helpful to someone!

Agree with huwsmum ... Fantastic writing ... I'd love more info ..!!! I also am hung up on numbers ..!!!! Abd need to relax x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

linski24 said:
Agree with huwsmum ... Fantastic writing ... I'd love more info ..!!! I also am hung up on numbers ..!!!! Abd need to relax x

I'm horrible I always feel bad I'd I'm like 5cal over and then I get depressed and binge as I already messed up. It's stupid. But I need to change that and move downwards.

huwiesmummy said:
I'm horrible I always feel bad I'd I'm like 5cal over and then I get depressed and binge as I already messed up. It's stupid. But I need to change that and move downwards.

I weigh Myself every day ... Been told to just throw away the scales ..... I feel that if I'm thinner I'll be prettier abd people will like me more .... Even writing it I can see how irrational it sounds but I can't help it as I'm so messed up ... It's like my whole life's problems are due to me being fat and ugly abd everyone hating me for it ... I heed to stop .... Abd then move downwards ..

linski24 said:
I weigh Myself every day ... Been told to just throw away the scales ..... I feel that if I'm thinner I'll be prettier abd people will like me more .... Even writing it I can see how irrational it sounds but I can't help it as I'm so messed up ... It's like my whole life's problems are due to me being fat and ugly abd everyone hating me for it ... I heed to stop .... Abd then move downwards ..

Ignore me ... I was in a self indulgent ramble there ..!!! X

linski24 said:

No, it's true. The rational part of me knows our calorie counts are just estimates and the scales don't paint the full picture (apparently a pound of body fat has the same volume as 5 lbs of muscle, hence an lb of muscle will appear five times smaller than an lb of body fat) but I'm still so hung up on them. I've given up the scales for November, four days in and I'm wavering!

linski24 said:

Sweetheart I have that feeling most days. The scales affect my day so much that i honestly try to weigh on a Friday and a Monday only. If I go on too much a pound or two on makes me feel like it may as well be two stone :( I feel huge and horrible, and moody :/ if they show a loss I feel great.
I know in my heart I don't look any different, I've lost over 5 stones so why should I feel that way. I guess it's why we have food issues and self esteem worries. Anything wrong in our lives, be it relationships, work, friendships must be because of how we look... How insane does that sound!! But that's how it feels on fat days doesn't it??
Sorry... Who's rambling now!! . @@@@@

Oh thanks guys ... It's good to know that people have the same issues as me .... I know I drive everyone mad .... And I'm so bad at the whole esteem thing that my husband has had said if my daughters become anorexic it'll be my fault :-( not that I'm anorexic lol ... But my whole life is about getting thin ...
But thanks for the support xxxxxx

linski24 said:
Oh thanks guys ... It's good to know that people have the same issues as me .... I know I drive everyone mad .... And I'm so bad at the whole esteem thing that my husband has had said if my daughters become anorexic it'll be my fault :-( not that I'm anorexic lol ... But my whole life is about getting thin ...
But thanks for the support xxxxxx

it's definately linked to weight versus confidence for me. We are funny creatures. Sending you a hug xxxxx

What a horrible thing for him to say! Being aware of your weight is not anorexia. Even all the mental issues we have isn't that. It sounds like we bad relationships with food and controling our weight. If anything we are a type of ocd needing that comfort of the numbers to keep us going.

My moms weight issues were pushed onto me. But instead of my mom trying and fixing her own weight she tried to control mine. She made me the way I was she fed me fast food as she couldn't be bothered to cook then was worried when I put weight on. Then she started putting the whole family on diets and such never looking to see what the issue was. She ended up having a gastric bypass. And god you know what losing all the weight I did by myself feels even better when I can wave it in her face.

The fact you obsess over your weight and that your trying makes me so glad because that is a better thing for your girls to learn then you telling them to lose and not bothering yourself.

Heh sorry kinda a sore subject still me thinks

Huwiesmummie I was the same, I had mfp set at 1260 cals and some days I found I was struggling and hated going over. I've changed the setting from losing 2lbs a week to 1.5lbs- it allows me an extra 200 cals which I haven't even been using most days but it means it stays in green!!

Why not allow yourself an extra 100 cals? Whether or not you use them it doesn't matter but you don't end up over if you have a few extra cals!

huwiesmummy said:
What a horrible thing for him to say! Being aware of your weight is not anorexia. Even all the mental issues we have isn't that. It sounds like we bad relationships with food and controling our weight. If anything we are a type of ocd needing that comfort of the numbers to keep us going.

My moms weight issues were pushed onto me. But instead of my mom trying and fixing her own weight she tried to control mine. She made me the way I was she fed me fast food as she couldn't be bothered to cook then was worried when I put weight on. Then she started putting the whole family on diets and such never looking to see what the issue was. She ended up having a gastric bypass. And god you know what losing all the weight I did by myself feels even better when I can wave it in her face.

The fact you obsess over your weight and that your trying makes me so glad because that is a better thing for your girls to learn then you telling them to lose and not bothering yourself.

Heh sorry kinda a sore subject still me thinks

Admittedly it was a couple years ago he says that and just puts up with me now ....
My mum has never obsessed with her weight .. Never needed to she was skinny until her 40's/50's .. She is overweight now but doesn't seem to care .... Iv been this way for ever .. Low esteem and low confidence ... It's worse now I'm in my 40's ... But iv gone completely off my head at times throwing my clothes into the garden and crying coz I look horrid in everything ... (Good job my back looks out into a field lol) ... I dunno what to do ... Iv tried counselling ....
Xx

I do that too just try on everything then break down and cry. On those days I stick to my flannel pjs and won't leave the house. Some nights I cry myself to sleep because of food. I need to learn to let go and I can't. It's always worse when I'm bored and alone I snack for comfort then I get depressed and then eat some more. It's never ending cycle for me. Now I've lost the bulk of my weight I don't feel so bad as much. 10ish stone isn't anything to be scoffed at. But at this moment I'm think oh god how am I going to lose these last 40lbs. I'm already doubting myself.

huwiesmummy said:
I do that too just try on everything then break down and cry. On those days I stick to my flannel pjs and won't leave the house. Some nights I cry myself to sleep because of food. I need to learn to let go and I can't. It's always worse when I'm bored and alone I snack for comfort then I get depressed and then eat some more. It's never ending cycle for me. Now I've lost the bulk of my weight I don't feel so bad as much. 10ish stone isn't anything to be scoffed at. But at this moment I'm think oh god how am I going to lose these last 40lbs. I'm already doubting myself.

You'v done so well ..!!!!!! And you CAN do it ..!!
I have a stone to lose or half a stone I'd be happy with ..!!!! But just how hard is that ...???!!!!!!!
I don't know what the answer is apart from us bolstering each other :)

huwiesmummy said:
I have over 3 to go. I am going though a 'haven't I lost enough? I want to give up' moment. I know I can and will just a bad week me thinks.

Now half a stone get on it missy! It ain't that much! ;)

This website is the best thing as we can console and give tough love. Best thing I ever did was get on this site.

Oh how iv tried to get on it lol ... Iv stalled .!! It's a pig and I need to try harder ..!!

I love this site too xxx

Back