Is it just my class????

It's not just your class. I only started on Monday but I noticed this too. The group is so big it has been split in two as it is. Hopefully things will quieten down in a few weeks.

We have some chatterboxes in our group, young and old, in fact it's the older ladies who don't shut up mostly!!! They seem to want to talk through the whole of IT.
If people find it boring, leave.

Our consultant is very good, she just says that their turn to talk will come!

Like the others have said, classes are mental at the moment but it will calm down within about 6 weeks. If it bothers you that much, a text or call to your consultant and they'll sort it out I'm sure.

when i used to go to class the lady who sat with me used to chat to me all the time :eek: i would nod appropriatly or give one word answers but she never got the hint :confused:

The C used to look over and ask if every thing was ok and i would be so embarrassed :eek::eek:
hated people thinking i was being rude :sigh:. Tried moving sitting in a different place etc but she would always join me.
shame really cos she is a lovely lady and was doing really well.

She moved to another group before i stopped going and i felt a bit out of it, as if people didn't want to sit with me in case i chatted to them:eek::eek::eek:

Princess_Stevie;459763[FONT=Tahoma said:
really narks me off is that there are also the few odd members that will snake off halfway through I.T - once their names have been called out and everyone has congratulated them, they feel it's okay just to get up and leave. What about the rest of us? We have all just congratulated you - where is our support?[/FONT]

Well I'm sorry but I'm going to be doing that tonight and every week. I live a good distance from the class and buses are infrequent so I leave to get the bus rather than hang around at the bus stop on my own in the dark for half an hour. Now people in the group will not know that this is why I am leaving class. If they think I'm being rude then so be it, that is their problem. The point is that people may have perfectly good reasons why they need to leave early and there's no obligation for them share it with the group. So unless they have actually said they are doing it because they can't bothered staying then no iI don't think it's rude.

Well I'm sorry but I'm going to be doing that tonight and every week. I live a good distance from the class and buses are infrequent so I leave to get the bus rather than hang around at the bus stop on my own in the dark for half an hour. Now people in the group will not know that this is why I am leaving class. If they think I'm being rude then so be it, that is their problem. The point is that people may have perfectly good reasons why they need to leave early and there's no obligation for them share it with the group. So unless they have actually said they are doing it because they can't bothered staying then no iI don't think it's rude.

But you would think that, because you do it lol (and for a valid excuse too, I wouldn't want to wait for a bus on my own in the dark either). But we're all entitled to our own opinions, and what I find rude can be perfectly acceptable to someone else. I hope you haven't taken the wrong end of the stick - I'm not here to slag anyone off or offend people, I'm just giving my opinion. And the fact is there are members of my group that just slope off when they get bored or can't be bothered anymore.

No offence meant to anyone who may have taken it..

And the fact is there are members of my group that just slope off when they get bored or can't be bothered anymore.
How do you know this? Maybe they have valid reasons too. And even if they don't, why should it bother you? We all pay our £4.95 so we should all be able to go when we like. It's not community service!
I usually stay until the end, but last week, the Consultant didn't get going until 20 minutes after her usual starting time, and I had to get home. Maybe people thought I was being rude.

I'm afraid I agree with Stevie, the whole point is group support - for and from everyone.
I think people should go after WI or at the end.

I hear a lot of "I want my tea" or "I'm bored now" or "I wish she'd hurry up" etc...... in my opinion, it is a bit rude!

Our C used to be a secondary teacher so controls the class quite well, however if this kind of thing went on it would thoroughly annoy me and I would probably say something to the culprits if they were close enough to me. Regardless of how rude it is, YOU have paid to sit and listen so why should you be hindered from doing so??

If you want my advice, invest in a pellet gun.

The only time i use my phone in groups is to jot down recipe ideas or to remind myself to look up something when i get home, my groups pretty good and everyone listens and claps when people have done well, and we never commiserate gain, just congratulate the current weight loss to date so its really supportive, and every week people bring in recipes (i did borrow one from here for my week and it went down VERY well - KFC one lol)

In my opinion it is rude. People may well have valid reasons but if I couldn't stay for the whole thing then I would just go, get weighed and leave. I wouldn't stay till my consultant had spoke to me, everyone cheered me & listened to me and then leave. Just my opinion tho :)

I don't agree linzipinzi, i stay for 45 minutes of Image therapy, not just 10 mins or something, because like everyone else I pay my subs and i want to gain experience from the group as much as possible. Sometimes I'm not covered in that 45 minutes which is fine, other times I am, luck of the draw - but that's the only group I can attend and wouldn't like to feel I'm not entitled to stay at all because I have to leave a little early

How do you know this? Maybe they have valid reasons too. And even if they don't, why should it bother you? We all pay our £4.95 so we should all be able to go when we like. It's not community service!
I usually stay until the end, but last week, the Consultant didn't get going until 20 minutes after her usual starting time, and I had to get home. Maybe people thought I was being rude.

I know this because they are the same people week in week out that sit there with faces like slapped-arses and completely as if they don't want to be there - if that's the case then just go, I've paid a fiver for this and actually want to be here and take something from the experience, so stop ruining it for me. They sit there chatting on throughout IT, playing on their phones, etc etc. Even moaning that they are bored or hunger or whatever else..that is how I know.

I'm not saying that everyone that leaves early is leaving for this reason, a few of you have obviously taken it the wrong way. I am mearly stating what goes on in my group, and what annoys me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thank you for all your replies. I'm glad it isn't just me but it is sad that it is such common behaviour. I just got a message from my consultant to say there will be two meetings now, so hopefully some of the talkers will join the earlier class.

Our group isn't too bad- mainly because there are some people (including me if i'm due on ;) ) who will give daggers if they talk over someone.

But, I have been known to go to my C's earlier classes on Tuesdays- at 9am or 1pm...my god, the talking at those groups....it's terrible! Bless my C, she's so soft spoken, she's not one to shout out if people are being loud :(

Lol, at one group though, i think it was the 1pm one, it was my turn to talk- I had a big loss and I got....my 5 stone award or something that week. My C was asking me about body magic, someone in front of me sighed and said, pretty loudly "damn- I want to go- I'm hungry"...I said "really- you should invest in a couple of mugshots then- there's a perfectly good kettle in the kitchen".

...I think I was due on then too....I don't usually speak up unless I'm full of hormones, heehee

I go to a lovely group with a lovely C but she seems to have lost the control of the class at moment, it's mainly a group of new member ladies who all joined a couple of weeks ago, and seem to be holding their 'coffee morning' at the back. We keep giving them the 'look' but they just carry on until it's their turn to speak in Image Therapy. It's so annoying, I have been going for just over a year and stay every week, but I feel they are being so rude!! Our C knows the situation is annoying but she needs the numbers on class and is afraid of upsetting them.

At the risk of being lynched I will admit that at times I have been guilty of talking/using phone etc at group. I will try and take the comments on this thread into account in future!
Our group has moved into a different room recently and the layout is such that you can't seem to hear people down the other end which does make it easier to get into own conversations. Also as a target member I wish to stay to group but it isn't always geared towards us!
Maybe ironically I do think it can be rude when people get up and leave when others are having it though.

rachaeld82 said:
I don't think you're being over sensitive at all. I used to go to a group, many moons ago when I first did SW, and one of the reasons I am now an online member is because I get peace and quiet! Any support I need, I get from the lovely people on these boards.

In my old group, people used to be chatting when the losses were getting read out, which I think is just plain rude. I know it can get a bit tedious and long winded if its a big group, but like you say, the point of a group is to support each other and pick up hints and tips - that doesn't really work if people are chatting over the leader and not congratulating/ comiserating each other on weight loss/ gain.

I left and joined online for exactly the same reason! Never looked back x

Back